U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,222,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm probably biased, but I'd honestly much rather live in Augusta than Savannah.
ew.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,372,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
On any given weekday, about 3/4 of a MILLION people use the DC metro. You realize how much worse that city's traffic would be if they all got on the roads?

It still is bad regardless of how many people ride the train.. People still wanna drive there cars no matter how extensive there train system is... The automobile rules right now.. a 20 minute commute in a car turns into a 45 to an hour train ride.... Id rather drive... unless im going to a special event

Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,264,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
On any given weekday, about 3/4 of a MILLION people use the DC metro. You realize how much worse that city's traffic would be if they all got on the roads?
Absolutely, but one important difference between DC and Atlanta is that a much higher number of people commute into DC than people who commute into Atlanta.

Most people in the Atlanta area commute to jobs around the perimeter or outside the perimeter. There are fewer folks commuting to the city core than in DC, where many of the gov't offices are located. There are also people commuting to places like Reston in the DC suburbs, but not to the same extent.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
It still is bad regardless of how many people ride the train.. People still wanna drive there cars no matter how extensive there train system is... The automobile rules right now.. a 20 minute commute in a car turns into a 45 to an hour train ride.... Id rather drive... unless im going to a special event
Those commute times aren't equivalent at all, especially within the context of a congested metro area like DC. For instance, a trip on the blue line of the Metro from Largo Town Center in suburban MD to L'Enfant Plaza in downtown DC takes about 24 minutes. That same trip by car is about 16 miles would take about 30 minutes, longer if traffic is bad. Plus, by taking the train, you don't have to worry about finding a park or paying for parking. That's why every time I go to DC I take the Metro everywhere; the only exception is if I'm going out at night.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,170,355 times
Default Money from Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Also, I don't think the state should be responsible for MARTA. I strongly support mass transit and think people are crazy (especially in Gwinnett County) for not supporting it. I believe MARTA should be funded by the counties and cities that it serves. I'm completely against anyone in places such as Valdosta, Augusta or even Vidalia funding MARTA. Funding should come from the City of Atlanta, Fulton County, DeKalb County, etc....
And yes, it is very sad that there is still a mentality that a black man, white man, hispanic man, etc cannot live beside one another. One thing that disgusts me about the south in general.
Given that Atlanta practically supports the whole state, I don't think having the state government help support MARTA is asking too much. So much of our toll money for GA-400 goes down in the state. Without the Atlanta money engine, most of GA would be at a loss.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 AM

5,200 posts, read 2,316,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1lla View Post
I believe that this is the case because Atlanta and Savannah are easily the most progressive cities in the state. If you venture very far at all from either place then you find yourself back in the traditional, conservative south for the most part.
I'm curious. Is it something about the "Politics and other Controversies" thread or is it the South in general, but whoa I had no idea. I can't believe the number of southerners who absolutely hate the USA and the Fed Govt over the Civil War. There was a recent thread about this topic, and most southerners in that thread believe that Lincoln was a complete tyrant and from what they post it appears they wish the US had broken apart. I thought growing up that the South was one of the most patriotic parts of the US. But after reading some of the threads about this topic, it appears many southerners wish the Union had lost the Civil War and subsequently wish the USA had fallen apart. Do you guys feel this way as well? BTW, they also seem to strongly believe in secession and that the US is just an alliance of independent countries (states). Seems we are not a very unified country after all.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
The funny thing is that those who feel that way certainly wouldn't vote for secession now since just about every Southern state gets more money from the feds than we contribute (i.e., welfare states). I find it very ironic that many Southerners in particular talk about smaller federal government with more power given to the states, but the Civil War showed us that that's a losing strategy.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,222,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious. Is it something about the "Politics and other Controversies" thread or is it the South in general, but whoa I had no idea. I can't believe the number of southerners who absolutely hate the USA and the Fed Govt over the Civil War. There was a recent thread about this topic, and most southerners in that thread believe that Lincoln was a complete tyrant and from what they post it appears they wish the US had broken apart. I thought growing up that the South was one of the most patriotic parts of the US. But after reading some of the threads about this topic, it appears many southerners wish the Union had lost the Civil War and subsequently wish the USA had fallen apart. Do you guys feel this way as well? BTW, they also seem to strongly believe in secession and that the US is just an alliance of independent countries (states). Seems we are not a very unified country after all.
What does this have to do with the topic? Can't you find another, more suitable place to pose this question....that's been posed a million times already?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM

840 posts, read 886,335 times
Metropolitan Atlanta is 54% of Georgia's population and accounts for 68% of its growth. Once again, Georgia without Atlanta is South Carolina. Savannah is Charleston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
SO why Is DC traffic so bad if Public transport is the Key. To solving traffic issues???
Please look at the map below:

First and foremost, Washington D.C. is a planned city that is considerably older than most of the infrastructure in the city of Atlanta. Washington D.C. was not designed to handle automobile traffic AT ALL. So while Jim Crow Era Congressmen were more than happy to allow the black section of downtown Atlanta to be destroyed by the construction of the I-75/I-85 connector, building I-95 through the heart of Washington D.C. was a non-starter. Unlike Atlanta, there is no way to cut through the core of Washington D.C. by staying on the highway.

I don't see how Washington D.C. having the second-most ridership of any mass transit system in the country after NYC is any indictment on how poor it is. There is actually quite the demand for the Metro and they are expanding it well into suburban Fairfax County (Tyson's Corner corridor) with the goal of reaching Dulles International Airport. Unlike Atlanta, even conservative Virginians are not fighting transit tooth and nail. The MARC commuter rail extends all the way out to West Virginia and the VRC extends halfway to Richmond so transit is quite comprehensive. However, there is nothing that Washington D.C. or its near suburbs can do to prevent yokels from West Virginia and Pennsylvania from clogging I-270 to take advantage of the service job market in the D.C. suburbs.

Last edited by Steelers10; 03-27-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 AM

7,875 posts, read 6,632,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
^ Loads of flawed logic above. MARTA is a "closed" system that travels in a certain area (a taxation district, basically). GDOT maintains roads all over the state. The argument that "not everyone drives roads in Screven Co." is a pointless argument. GDOT's work benefits ALL Georgians, from you, me, the farmers looking to move goods to market, the trucker transporting his container load from the port to the distribution center, etc. As MARTA doesn't have the statewide reach, or even serve the same purpose, it absolutely should be funded locally by ridership & property owners in the taxing district. If that leads to its bankruptcy, then so be it. It clearly wasn't run properly in the first place, now was it?

The state limits MARTA to using just half of its sales-tax revenue to pay for operations. The rest is reserved for maintenance and capital improvements.The state has a lot of say and restrictions on how MARTA is ran.I think thats not right if they are not providing money to operate it.
The Airport serves the Atlanta area,maybe we should not invest state money in it either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia