U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM

1,021 posts, read 3,025,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by resolute View Post
consider the town of McCaysville near Blue Ridge. It sits right on the river (where the Toccoa changes names to the Ocoee in TN) and has a neat little downtown area that is beginning to come back to life.
Plus, you might consider living on the TN side of the town in the town of Copperhill and not have to pay any state income taxes (TN has no state income tax unlike Georgia).
Just a tip: Whenever someone says that an area is "beginning to come back to life", you should dig deeper to find out why it was on life support.

Back in 1991, downtown McCaysville, Georgia was up to the rooftops in the floodwaters that also devastated Copperhill, Tennessee. (I guess we long-time Georgia residents with good memories are a certain type of real estate agent's nightmare.)

Copperhill, Tennessee is recovering after an EPA cleanup, but it was once home to a copper mine and sulfuric acid plant. Acid fumes from the chemical plant killed off vegetation to the point where Copperhill was often referred to by awestruck visitors as a desert or "moonscape".

Google "Copperhill, McCaysville, flood".

You still might want to relocate there, open a business there, but at least you won't go in blindly. Not while I'm around.

Last edited by Figment 07; 03-02-2007 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,140 times
I'm a real estate investor and realtor from FL and bought vacant land outside Ellijay just south of Carters Lake. In fact over a dozen agents bought
where I did. East Ellijay is booming, I'm very pleased with the investment potential. I'll probably buy in Kingwood Overlook in Clayton, GA next.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 AM

2,952 posts, read 235,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springtime View Post
I'm a real estate investor and realtor from FL and bought vacant land outside Ellijay just south of Carters Lake. In fact over a dozen agents bought
where I did. East Ellijay is booming, I'm very pleased with the investment potential. I'll probably buy in Kingwood Overlook in Clayton, GA next.
Hi Springtime, I am interested in the Ellijay area as well as Clayton. I am basically interested in either moving to the N. Ga. mountains or Western NC in the next year or two. I was just wondering, did you buy in a community like Kingwood in the Ellijay area or not. As a realtor, how do you compare the Clayton area to the Ellijay area. Any info is appreciated. Are you going to be living there full time?

Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 7,089,110 times
Isn't the Kingwood Overlook the new phase of Kingwood being built on the south side of HW76E across from the Kingwood golf course?

I have a place right down the road from there, and was wondering what they have planned in that area - what type of development is that going to be up there?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Ellijay Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Hi Springtime, I am interested in the Ellijay area as well as Clayton. I am basically interested in either moving to the N. Ga. mountains or Western NC in the next year or two. I was just wondering, did you buy in a community like Kingwood in the Ellijay area or not. As a realtor, how do you compare the Clayton area to the Ellijay area. Any info is appreciated. Are you going to be living there full time?

Hi Spunky1,

This is my first time sending a message on this site and I have no clue how this works, i guess that;s why I'm called junior. Anyway, in Ellijay I bought in Talking Rock, which has pools, tennis, trout lodge, beach park on river and will have an equestrian center. It is huge. Over 1000 lots, mine is 1.6 acres, only about 50 houses are up now. I bought for investment, Ellijay is really going to be booming, Lots of new stuff happening around that Super walmart on 515. Where do you live now? It terms of my personal interest I like the charm of Clayton, lake Burton, and Brass Town Bald. I believe in Clayton are
I could get more per night renting out a second home than in Ellijay for a similar home. But I bought in Ellijay for the appreciation potential of vacant land. In a year or so I will sell my lot using a 1031 tax deferred exchange and buy a river front lot from the same company.

I recd email from city data, how do I reply to people who emailed me, is there a manual anywhere?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
Isn't the Kingwood Overlook the new phase of Kingwood being built on the south side of HW76E across from the Kingwood golf course?

I have a place right down the road from there, and was wondering what they have planned in that area - what type of development is that going to be up there?
Hi Prichard,

Kingwood Overlook residents will have use of the Kingwood golf membership,
and they can pay for the social memebership monthly. Phase 1 will have 164 homes sites. I think about 25% are sold. And they can use the 24 hr resort rental management. Know anyone who might want to buy there? kingwood Overlook will not have their own amentites, but has sewer and city water and underground elec.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:53 PM

58 posts, read 286,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Just a tip: Whenever someone says that an area is "beginning to come back to life", you should dig deeper to find out why it was on life support.

Back in 1991, downtown McCaysville, Georgia was up to the rooftops in the floodwaters that also devastated Copperhill, Tennessee. (I guess we long-time Georgia residents with good memories are a certain type of real estate agent's nightmare.)

Copperhill, Tennessee is recovering after an EPA cleanup, but it was once home to a copper mine and sulfuric acid plant. Acid fumes from the chemical plant killed off vegetation to the point where Copperhill was often referred to by awestruck visitors as a desert or "moonscape".

Google "Copperhill, McCaysville, flood".

You still might want to relocate there, open a business there, but at least you won't go in blindly. Not while I'm around.
Yes - there was a flood back then that devistated the town - since then, Blue Ridge Dam has been improved (some say the flooding was due to operator error anyway - TVA releasing too much water after extremely heavy rains after banking too much ahead of the rains. Apparently the spillways were raised several feet afterward, so the threat of any future flooding is greatly reduced now..)

As far as the environmental damage goes; that story is part of what makes the area so unique. There was damage due to the mining and later acid production. However, the subsidary of the original concerns have pumped hundreds of millions of $s into the area to mitigate all the environmental impact (pumping and cleaning groundwater, removing heavy metals, restoring wetlands, etc. etc. - Google "Glen Springs Holdings") so that now the area is "clean" again and the damage has been minimized and restored. In fact, one could never tell that the area ever looked like it did, except for the remants of the mining and chemical plamt (now greatly shut down - the plant is even being dismantled bit by bit). So the area remains prime for those with a vision and who understand all that is going on..

Old 06-15-2007, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,240 times
Ellijay, its in the mountains, only 50 min from Atlanta using 575 and close to shopping areas so your not to far in the boonies. If your starting a business to don't want to be too far away from population , supplies and contacts.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 PM

276 posts, read 803,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resolute View Post
If you want N. GA and the Mountains consider the town of McCaysville near Blue Ridge. It sits right on the river (where the Toccoa changes names to the Ocoee in TN) and has a neat little downtown area that is beginning to come back to life. Property values are going to rise significantly over the next few years, but in the Northern Part of the County you can still get in before its too late. Plus, you might consider living on the TN side of the town in the town of Copperhill and not have to pay any state income taxes (TN has no state income tax unlike Georgia). The scenery surrounding town closeby is beautiful as well and the recreational opportunities are very plentiful. Please let me know if I can answer questions as I live in the area.
Id be interested in hearing anything on this area...Still feeling out what parts of GA would like to consider relocating....Have a nice day

Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,430 times
Blue Ridge is nice town and growing, big second-home real estate market - lots of Atlanta weekenders and young retirees. Area growing and changing as population becomes more former city-folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia