U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM

80 posts, read 92,369 times
Default Dublin!!!

Hello,

I am interested in moving to Georgia and I have been actively researching Certified Surgical Technologist jobs in parts of Georgia. I have came across a CST job in Dublin GA. If there are any opinions about Dublin anyone is interested in giving I welcome them. I will be coming down there with my husband and our 10 year old son. So, apartments for rent, schools, fun things to do such as parks, lakes, museums, night life for the occasional date with my husband. Any information will be helpful while I also do some research. Thank you in advance,

Michelle Johnson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 PM

876 posts, read 1,129,030 times
I've been through Dublin a few times. Definitely a small town with a few amenities.

Not sure about the quality of the public schools, probably average at best. You can research that one more in depth, but I would think it is on par with most of Central/South Georgia which means fair.

One of my best friends is from there, she vowed as an adult never to return there to live, while others I know like the small town life. If you are coming from a large metropolitan area, then it might be culture shock to you, I am guessing.

You can go to Macon for more shopping, I think it is about an hour away on average by car. Dublin is big enough to accomodate for basic shopping (Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

One thing about central Georgia is it is hotter and muggier than metro Atlanta during the long summers. That is one thing about central/south Georgia, I do not care for.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM

80 posts, read 92,369 times
Thank you for your response it is much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Dublin is a small town with too many filling stations and not enough retail. There are duplications or excessive amount of gas stations (or the like), mom and pop joints (variety and consignment shops) and dollar stores. The quality of life on an average is fairly good considering, the further you live from the center of town, the less crime you have to contend with. The public schools are pretty good I think. I've known many individuals to graduate from schools in the area and it's surroundings to go on and become very reputable professionals in all disciplines. Like much of the country, Dublin has suffered more recently due to the ecomomic downturn because it used to be a kind of hotbed for textile industry and furniture manufacturing. In short, Dublin is a place suited more for someone looking to settle down after retirement. It could be a good place to raise children but it does limit your shopping options, eating options and options for some leisure activities. So, it depends on what your expectations are. If you have a car(s) then you'll be fine. It is a hop skip from Macon (52mi), Atlanta (152mi or so) Savannah (149mi) larger cities if you feel the urge to splurge. I would buy a house there for the serenity alone. It is a cross roads in the middle of the state. Someone is bound to recognize that and make Dublin a point of interest someday (e.g. another major airport besides Atl...just stupid not to for southern Ga-ins or an Amtrak connection between Atl and Sav). I have been to far worst places, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia