U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,743 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's a major trafficking hub for the Mexican drug cartels so whether we like it or not, how we control marijuana affects ALL of us!!

When the government banned supermarkets and gas stations from selling marijuana to adults it unwittingly eliminated all legal competition to drug dealers. Without any legal competition, these criminals can demand any price they want and the sheer size of the profits they're able to make entices them into our communities to try to sell their stinking weed to *our* children!

The federal marijuana prohibition costs us $40 billion a year, generates 800,000 unnecessary arrests every year, diverts $10 billion a year to the Mexican drug cartels and is directly responsible for the death of more than 35,000 people in Mexico in just the last four years. And worst of all, it doesn't even stop kids from smoking marijuana! We're not stupid, we've got to think of our kids first and END this thing!

We need legal adult marijuana sales in supermarkets, gas stations and pharmacies for exactly the same reason we need legal alcohol and tobacco sales - to keep unscrupulous black-market criminals out of our neighborhoods and away from our children. Marijuana should be legal to sell to adults everywhere that alcohol and tobacco are sold.

I'd like to hear other people's points of view.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jway86 View Post
Atlanta's a major trafficking hub for the Mexican drug cartels so whether we like it or not, how we control marijuana affects ALL of us!!

When the government banned supermarkets and gas stations from selling marijuana to adults it unwittingly eliminated all legal competition to drug dealers. Without any legal competition, these criminals can demand any price they want and the sheer size of the profits they're able to make entices them into our communities to try to sell their stinking weed to *our* children!

The federal marijuana prohibition costs us $40 billion a year, generates 800,000 unnecessary arrests every year, diverts $10 billion a year to the Mexican drug cartels and is directly responsible for the death of more than 35,000 people in Mexico in just the last four years. And worst of all, it doesn't even stop kids from smoking marijuana! We're not stupid, we've got to think of our kids first and END this thing!

We need legal adult marijuana sales in supermarkets, gas stations and pharmacies for exactly the same reason we need legal alcohol and tobacco sales - to keep unscrupulous black-market criminals out of our neighborhoods and away from our children. Marijuana should be legal to sell to adults everywhere that alcohol and tobacco are sold.

I'd like to hear other people's points of view.
It certainly seems like a commodity the state can tax the crap out of ... that would at least redirect some of the inevitable funds towards constructive projects.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 AM

635 posts, read 736,147 times
I agree entirely. It would be beneficial for everyone In many ways as much as they want to fight it, its true.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 AM

71 posts, read 103,284 times
I'm not a toker, but I'd be in. Been saying this for years. Wasting police hours/taxpayer dollars to arrest and house someone because they had a joint on them is seriously out of control. I get a kick out of how America is so anti-drug and that pot is sooooo bad and how it causes social problems and is a gateway drug and blahblahblahblah.....yet, alcohol has done far more damage and has killed more people (direct use)...and it's not seen as a bad "drug"...oh no...alcohol isn't a "drug"...it's just alcohol

Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM

2,831 posts, read 2,482,643 times
I've never smoked pot or used any other illegal substance in my life, but I'd support it.

Ask any teenage druggie what's easier to get their hands on: beer or pot. The answer will reveal why the government has more ability to influence and regulate how something is used when they don't ban it outright and thus push it entirely underground.

One thing: I believe the stats shown in the OP are for all drugs, not just marijuana.

Dealing with the other drugs is a trickier matter.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,683,170 times
I support it to some degree, but not for your reasons. To me, if we apply your logic to it, who's to say the next thing won't be legalizing meth or crack? I mean, people are going to use them anyway and we can tax it. So don't bother with the law. And what about bank robbery? People will do it anyway, so why bother making it a felony?

I'm not saying marijuana is like bank robbery. I know it's an exaggerated comparison. I'm just saying I don't like removing a law just because no one obeys it. I think that's a slippery slope. But for the marijuana issue specifically, yes, I think we need to do something. Aside from those that just like to get high, what about those with serious diseases that marijuana can help them deal with? My husband has a laundry list of medical problems from years of emergency services. Marijuana could help him deal with the pain when the pain medication just isn't enough. His sister has MS. Marijuana would be a wonderful option for her in dealing with her pain.

So, what should be done? Not a clue. But I'd love to hear other ideas and options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia