Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

Are any of you all or your friends/family going after the new jobs in your area that are here because of the new immigration law? Are locals excited about picking unions/etc in this Ga heat? He were having a discussion in the Atlanta forum and we were wondering if you all were happy that so many new jobs are now in your area

Farmers tie labor shortage to state's new immigration law, ask for help *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,614 times
I think a lot of us would like jobs picking unions in this heat.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
My 18yo nephew is looking forward to having a job this summer; he doesn't care how hot it is, he wants new parts for his little Honda and he's willing to work for it.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
I think a lot of us would like jobs picking unions in this heat.
LOL, what are the choices? I'm torn between the GIAA (Guild of Italian American Actors) and the BRS (Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen).

Unions of the AFL-CIO (http://www.aflcio.org/aboutus/unions/ - broken link)

Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My 18yo nephew is looking forward to having a job this summer; he doesn't care how hot it is, he wants new parts for his little Honda and he's willing to work for it.
tell us that after he has sweated a single 12 hour day. talk is cheap.

its like crab fishing. "yeah i can do that" > "omg what did put myself into"

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
tell us that after he has sweated a single 12 hour day. talk is cheap.

its like crab fishing. "yeah i can do that" > "omg what did put myself into"
Sane people who take hard jobs at that age question themselves all the time like that. I know.

Hard workers follow through anyway. If you want something badly enough, you have to sweat a little.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
i posted this elsewhere but......what about all those jail birds sitting round doing nothing? why cant they work? it might make them think twice about commiting more crime after they were released. and no they have no freakin rights. they commited a crime. poor little drug dealer sitting in a/c for a couple months. and no i dont think your average citizen can work 12 hour days picking food. what about 4-5 hour shifts? it would help with the major obesity problem in the state and get folk earning a paycheck. where might they be needing labor in northwest georgia? i'm not afraid of hard work, course iv'e never been on welfare either. maybe get those welfare/food stamp lifers out in the fields working to pay off their debt to us taxpayers! yeah right, lifers working? hahahaha. seriously though if anyone knows of labor needed up this way......

Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Angry What about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
what about all those jail birds sitting round doing nothing? why cant they work? it might make them think twice about commiting more crime after they were released. and no they have no freakin rights. they commited a crime. poor little drug dealer sitting in a/c for a couple months. and no i dont think your average citizen can work 12 hour days picking food. what about 4-5 hour shifts? it would help with the major obesity problem in the state and get folk earning a paycheck. where might they be needing labor in northwest georgia? i'm not afraid of hard work, course iv'e never been on welfare either. maybe get those welfare/food stamp lifers out in the fields working to pay off their debt to us taxpayers! yeah right, lifers working? hahahaha. seriously though if anyone knows of labor needed up this way......
Same thing as having the illegals working...it's taking jobs away from law-abiding Americans that WANT to work instead of steal, or kill.

Frankly, if they would take all the violent offenders (murderers) and hang them all above the courthouse lawn it wouldn't hurt anyone's pockets. No "three hots and a cot" for other violent offenders. Put them outside to live in a tent and make them dig to the water table for their water. One meal a day: two pieces of bread. They will die off like flies in the heat. Darwin will take care of them.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:22 PM

296 posts, read 638,520 times
i honestly dont know of alot or people who would do that work. i was told its too hard..its too hot..blah blah blah..the ones that said it were obese,lazy individuals who have come to enjoy their unemployment benefits. i just thought that making them work in a field to get those benfits helps all of us...they get healthy..fields are picked..food stamp, welfare and unemployment checks are severly cut saving taxpayer money. someone wanted alternatives..here they are.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:50 PM

819 posts, read 1,592,614 times
Good Lord, I just realized I wrote unions instead of onions. Heck, I'm from Vidalia so I really should be able to spell onion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia