Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:49 AM

42 posts, read 75,812 times

Advertisements

Hi, i am interested in relocating to the Northern Ga. mountains. A friend of mine told me this is a nice area. Basically, I am looking for a place with a small town atmosphere, with lots of recreation opportunities. I enjoy the outdoors, hiking, backpacking, camping etc. Would anyone know how this area compares to say the Northeastern Ga. area of say Clayton? Thanks in advance. Also, is it unbearably hot and humid in the summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 AM

92 posts, read 657,070 times
I am slightly familiar with Ellijay. It is a very good area for outdoors (especially for mountain biking ), although, I think there are more state parks in NE Georgia. While I do not know anything about Clayton, it does put you a lot closer to Western NC and the Smokies.

B

Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,157,774 times
I looked extensively at property in Ellijay, Blue Ridge, Morganton, Mineral Bluff, and the Clayton area (includes Clayton, Tiger, Dillard, and Lakemont). Here's how I summed it up.

Ellijay is a very pretty area, but it wasn't mountainous enough for what I wanted. It wasn't close enough to a river or lake for my liking, and it didn't have anything kids could do.

I couldn't find any properties in my price range in Blue Ridge that met my specifications, but did find one in Morganton that I liked and made an offer on. After a couple of rounds of negotiations, I determined that the seller was way out of line on price for what he was offering, so I walked.

I looked for some property in the Lookout Mountain area, and would have purchased something on the Bluff, if it was availiable.

I then turned my search to the Clayton area. This area had everything I was looking for. A nice small town, large natural river to the east and several beautiful lakes to the west and south of Clayton. Great hiking trails (Bartrum Trail), and not far from some nice towns in NC and SC. So, this is where I purchased some land with a small house/cabin on it. The one draw back of Clayton is I think this is a town that will continue to grow - and I hope not too much as I like it's rural charicter.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,713 times
stay away from elijay! the houses are over priced and the ice storms are terrible.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:22 PM

The ice storms are bad in most North Georgia mountain towns. You just need a good generator, a good sized fuel tank, a 4-wheel drive vehicle and maybe chains. You'll be ok.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 AM

42 posts, read 75,812 times
Hey, thanks for the info, and please excuse me if these next few questions sound ignorant but here goes: Ok, I do have a four wheel drive vehicle-do I still need chains? And also, is the generator in case the elecricity goes out? UGH

Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 AM

If you live up in the North Georgia mountians, it's not if your electricity goes out, its when. Electricity can go out for around 3 days, due to the heavy ice breaking the power lines. I have a generator thats completely wired into my cabin - previous owner did this specifically for the ice storms. Actually, if a bad ice storm hits, you probably won't be driving anywhere, even with 4wd and chains. If you have a steep driveway and its iced over, it's just best to stay at home for a day or two. As a "Floriduhan", I ain't driving anywhere if the roads are iced up, unless it's an emergency. I've got gas heat, gas appliances, a generator, 8 acres to keep me entertained, a bunch of DVD's and (hopefully) pleanty of food. No need for me to go anywhere!

Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 PM

129 posts, read 487,406 times
I live just over the state line in western NC, my son in law is from Ellijay. I've never had to deal with ice in the almost 10 years I've been here. They've threatened a few times, but have never had a problem at all. And yes the electric does go out some, but that happens all year with BRMEMC. Ellijay is becomming a suburb of Atlanta, growing really quickly.It's a very culturally diverse town and just seems dirty to me. I prefer Blue Ridge to either Ellijay or Blairsville.Hiwassee is ok, but can be a bit pricey and snobbish. If I had to choose a Georgia town, it would definiately be Blue Ridge. Although, like I said I live on the NC side. Hayesville and Murphy are both great little towns!

Old 01-28-2007, 06:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,716 times
Belated reply, but maybe it will help someone else..

The area has experienced extreme growing pains over the last ten years.. Then, Jasper traffic jams used to be three cars at *the* 4-way light in the county.. Now it "feels" like 1/2 mile or more long backups on Hwy 53 in the afternoon..

Healthcare.. Make sure you've got someone good in Hotlanta or other.. Or research absolutely up one side and down the other anyone you may decide to try from anywhere in this vicinity.. Keeping one's eyes to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution for the same doesn't hurt, either..

Ice storms.. Been years since we had the kind where branches falling off trees sound like shotguns going off all around.. Yeehaw.. =)

Snow.. Been a long time for that, too.. We're certainly due for a big one..

On losing electricity, been a good ten years since we've seen three-day downtime on this road.. Definitely, though, if you can afford to have one for just cause, a generator as backup represents peace of mind.. Gas heaters and stoves pay off *HUGELY* in the winter when the lights go out..

Natural disaster-wise, tornados like from here to Gainesville, White County, that stretch.. Haven't heard it called the same in a long time, but did used to hear this called "Tornado Alley".. Several times a year, every year, one can and will hear them way up overhead as well as feel the air get sucked out of the house as they pass by..

Atlanta is headed this way wide open.. The innocent, pristine feel is slowly sliding into the West.. The tradeoff for those to whom it matters is that weekend entertainment is no longer limited to apple brandy parties or cruising Wally World and/or local grocery store parking lots..

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 AM

89 posts, read 120,815 times
I would say Clayton is a better place its further away from Blue Ridge. Ellijay is becoming overdeveloped and its a place for weekend warriors and homosexuals. Unless thats your thing I would avoid Ellijay its just the suburbs of atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia