U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM

35 posts, read 62,667 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot of articles that talk about a New Great Migration--that is Black people returning to the south in light of better economy and improved race relations. Is there any truth to this? Are there any Black people on this site who moved down south from somewhere else? If so, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,292,754 times
There's already a thread about this in the Atlanta forum, you might want to participate there:

For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South

Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM

97 posts, read 199,669 times
Default treacherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWatson View Post
I've been reading a lot of articles that talk about a New Great Migration--that is Black people returning to the south in light of better economy and improved race relations. Is there any truth to this? Are there any Black people on this site who moved down south from somewhere else? If so, what do you think?
This is treacherous territory and I do not want to be termed a racist. However I will add one iota of opinion: I sort of think that blacks migrate down South due to having a 'power in numbers' effect.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,292,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
This is treacherous territory and I do not want to be termed a racist. However I will add one iota of opinion: I sort of think that blacks migrate down South due to having a 'power in numbers' effect.
Right, I'm sure that the fact that the South is our American homeland and the cheaper cost of living and improved race relations has nothing at all to do with it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,618,957 times
Quote:

Dude, there's a reason it's called a reputation, and why yours continues to stay so low.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Right, I'm sure that the fact that the South is our American homeland and the cheaper cost of living and improved race relations has nothing at all to do with it.
I will add the fact that the heat is no problem for most African-Americans that I have associated with. I have been in the homes of many black people,and college dorms where black people live- while I would be sweating up a storm, they have hardly had a bead of sweat. In temps that I would be literally dying without an AC, they sometimes would only use a fan, if that. Do you care to give me any insight on that difference?

Last edited by In Valdosta; 06-30-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: typing error

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Default dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Dude, there's a reason it's called a reputation, and why yours continues to stay so low.
Look, this is only to respond to your post so if it is off topic, be fair enough to allow me to counter the post and then we can move on and the poster can communicate to me with a DM instead.

Please use that dude lingo on some other 'dude'. As far as my reputation, I am quite fine in being different and unique from the status quo and the masses. A lot of what I say appears far fetched because no one ever fathoms or thinks of a lot of it. Anyways, I think I have only been here about a week and I got more rep points than I really care for, everytime I log in I get them from someone. I am not here for that. Maybe a lot of others are fixated upon what others think of them all the time, but I am clearly not one of them. Besides, I have only encountered a few that seem to have such a big problem with me, no matter what I say- you are one of them for some reason. I am not ever trying to steal anyone's thunder, it is just that much of what I say is scary truths that people don't like to think about, much less practice in their lives. Oh well, I embrace the truth, no matter if it is negative about me or for me either, ulnike nearly everyone else. Also, many misinterpret, misevaluate, and underestimate me. It doesn't matter I will never kiss anyones culo to get higher rank or points for any reason. Likely, I will get banned in soon enough time due to all that so you will not have to worry about me anyway. I have done my research to know how this place operates. You have a great day, sorry if I annoy you, but just ignore me, that is what I do in reality anyway. Are you another person who is 'testing' me since I am a relative newcomer to the forum?

Back to the topic, so this post contributes a little, unlike the post directed 'at' me: I believe it has a lot to do with history as well. Many 'former minority' strongholds were created by ancestors in this region due to the practices of white landowners. I know a lot of the 'former minority' in northern cities like Baltimore, DC, Philly, NYC, and throughout the NE that travel to Florida to stay with 'relatives' every once in awhile. It is sometimes rare to not hear of someone of the 'current majority' heading down south to a big reunion or whatnot. Many have even met their lovers that reside in the south and end up moving to be with them as well. I believe the influx of the internet has allowed for more of that too. I know of quite a few white women that have hooked up online with a black guy on a chat or dating site and that brings them south also, and vice versa though. I do not necessarily agree that the economy has that big of a factor unless it involves some of the poorer areas of the north in which blacks may reside and it becomes too expensive to afford for them so they move south where it is somewhat cheaper and sometimes easier to get a job, or have relatives that already are rooted in the south. Remember,these are just mostly sort of assumptions by me as to why blacks are migrating to the south. I do not know because I do not have many black people to know about in my life like I did about 15 years ago. I have an interracial son that came out of the phase I was in back in my late teens,early twenties, so dont try the racist route with me, please.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Default did you read my post?

Quote:
I said it was an opinion and that I did not want you to have a mindset that it was a racist remark. I have an interracial son, how could I be that way? What happens- you do it anyway. . Not saying you are like this, but that happens with regularity in today's society, they adhere to nothing but whatever they themselves want to hear or perceive. We have way too many rulers of the world these days.

Last edited by In Valdosta; 06-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: missing info

Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 PM

Default experience

Quote:
wtf??????????
I just wanted to know if you knew why it is that is that most black people love the heat so much or never seem to be hot or start sweating a long long time after sot others do. It is just what I experienced with black people I have had experience with. Maybe it is invalid, I am just going by what I have seen. Is there a particular reason? If not, then just ignore the post and accept my apology.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM

200 posts, read 388,792 times
Quote:
I will add the fact that the heat is no problem for most African-Americans that I have associated with. I have been in the homes of many black people,and college dorms where black people live- while I would be sweating up a storm, they have hardly had a bead of sweat. In temps that I would be literally dying without an AC, they sometimes would only use a fan, if that. Do you care to give me any insight on that difference?
Well I'm black and the AC is my best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia