Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 20,371 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm from the country up north I love the mountains and fishing ....a few months ago I visited hiawassee ga I have friends that live there and I had a blast they showed me the mountains very pretty I felt so relaxed. We went shopping and had some looks but I'm used to it since mostly my friends are white but would I be safe living in hiawassee and would I have a problem finding work? I'm a honest woman so any suggestions would help me be as honest as you like. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
To my knowledge, other than students at Young Harris College, there are no black people living in Towns County. There are some few in adjoining Union County. While I don't think you would be harassed in any sense, you might find yourself more exposed than you like over time. However, there is always a first step. You did not mention the type of work you do or can do. Employment is hugely tight all over GA but far more so in smaller communities. If you do go there, rent rather than buy. It is not just mainly white, it is all white unless that has changed in the last couple of years since I lived there.

Good luck to ya.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 PM

197 posts, read 515,733 times
I don't think you would have any problems safety wise. I'm sure there are black people that live in that area as there are all over Georgia but there probably aren't a tremendous amount living there. In my experience with traveling there the people in general are very friendly. As far as the job prospects go I know that the rural areas have been hit pretty hard economically so finding a job would probably be your greatest challenge.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
To my knowledge, other than students at Young Harris College, there are no black people living in Towns County. There are some few in adjoining Union County. While I don't think you would be harassed in any sense, you might find yourself more exposed than you like over time. However, there is always a first step. You did not mention the type of work you do or can do. Employment is hugely tight all over GA but far more so in smaller communities. If you do go there, rent rather than buy. It is not just mainly white, it is all white unless that has changed in the last couple of years since I lived there.

Good luck to ya.
This -- Having visited Towns County, I have to agree with this. I think you might find yourself the only minority, not just the only black.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
The north Georgia mountain area is pretty unique in this state in terms of demographics. I have no experience with Hiawasee but find other areas where I would imagine an African American might feel uncomfortable. You do see more confederate flags in the area and I've seen a few folks with KKK tee-shirts on. It bothers me, a white guy, so am sure there would be uncomfortable moments for you. That having been said, folks in the mountains seem generally kind and friendly. I agree with the prior poster who suggested renting for a bit before permanently settling in. I just think that would be prudent.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post

Good luck to ya.
Thank you all very much for the advice and I have customer service,banking and promotions experience. I feel I'm pretty outgoing but being also aware of people views.. guess its the shy side of me but my friends and this forum has help me to be more relaxed... But more suggestions would be helpful again thank you

Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
Honestly, finding work would be tough for anyone in North Georgia right now and especially for outsiders. To be quite frank, I think you would do better to live closer to metro Atlanta and then enjoy North Georgia in your leisure time. Whatever you may decide, I would try to find the job before moving just to make sure. Good luck in your decision.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
You may want to contact Young Harris College. It has recently converted to a 4 year school and is in the midst of campaigning for support and students. They are high on diversity so there may be something there for you. I failed to mention that there are a few black people living in Murphy, NC and also Hayesville. I wish you well in finding what you want and something you can live with. By and large, with some exceptions, people do judge on character. Many of the people living in the Hiawassee area are from outside the area. I doubt there are many native mountain people there anymore.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM

I agree with you I am always respectable and I will look into Young Harris College I would like to major in psychology....but thank you for the much needed advice

Old 07-31-2011, 02:00 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Unfortunately, though, there are some people who relocate to that area because of the demographics. I would investigate very carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia