U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,390 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I want to retire in North GA area we have looked online in the Cleveland area?? is this to couuntry? What other cities make for peaceful living with mountian views...we would like to settle on 3-4 acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,075,026 times
In N Ga you are not far from "civilization". One or two hours to Atlanta, Athens etc. Much depends on your interests especially in the social sense. I personally prefer Towns County with its extraordinary low taxes. Also Rabun County or Union. Cleveland is on the wrong side of the mountains for my taste. I suggest you rent though before you buy anything. Perhaps try out the RV life before you commit.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM

744 posts, read 2,121,233 times
Another one to add to the list is Dahlonega.It is a beautiful, older , college town that has a lot to offer. It has great mountain views .It also has great access to Ga 400 so you can be in the Atlanta metro area within an hour or two depending on where you want to go.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,931,349 times
Cleveland has Mt. Yonah and yes it's the country but if you want to get to good mountain views try Helen,Blairsville,Hiawassee and Blue Ridge.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM

149 posts, read 412,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
Cleveland has Mt. Yonah and yes it's the country but if you want to get to good mountain views try Helen,Blairsville,Hiawassee and Blue Ridge.

No mountain views left just Floridians staring at other Floridians. They also like to light their "McCabins" up like ufo ships.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM

10,003 posts, read 9,279,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
No mountain views left just Floridians staring at other Floridians. They also like to light their "McCabins" up like ufo ships.
This is an interesting phenomenon I've noted among many north Georgia posters on City Data - hostility to folks from Florida visiting or moving to the mountains. What's up with that?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,432,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is an interesting phenomenon I've noted among many north Georgia posters on City Data - hostility to folks from Florida visiting or moving to the mountains. What's up with that?
I think you see that sort of hostility just about anywhere where wealthy people from someplace else arrive in a relatively secluded area and start building large houses, etc. Outsiders trying to "civilize" the area by changing it.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,931,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I never even knew this existed til I read stuff here and on the site [domain blocked due to spam].As rcsteiner mentioned above,I agree.I think the locals feel like the Floridians are ruining their beautiful land.I too hate to see too much development happening in North Georgia.I have lived in Georgia all my life and going to the mountains is my escape from everything.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

10,003 posts, read 9,279,788 times
I wonder if the Atlantans who frequent north Georgia are similarly looked at.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM

3,694 posts, read 3,274,668 times
The problem isn't "Floridians" as much as it is the folks who years ago invaded FL, turned it into the unrecognizable place it is today, and are now moving half-back and wanting to change Georgia. If you move to a new place to "escape" your old, why would you then want to start changing it into where you left? Just don't use the phrase, "Well, in *insert state* we used to do this. Instead learn the ways the locals do things, they probably know best what works in your new area, and ya just might learn something, and everything will be fine....

And yes Ansley... I think to some extent Atlantans are sometimes looked at that way too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or