U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times

Advertisements

I am moving to atlanta from Pittsburgh, PA and i was wondering what kind of bugs i will find because bugs are not my thing. I was warned fo the Palmeto bugs, or those roach lookin things, and I wanted to know if they bite or do they normally bother you, or any other info i can get about those bugs as well as the other bugs i should watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 AM

351 posts, read 822,820 times
Palmetto bugs are like large cockroaches - they don't bite. We hardly get any of those in our area. we don't get many bugs at all. Much less than in NH.
We have screened lanai area so we can be outside don't have any nuisance bugs. I had been inland in North Port at dusk and found more mosquitos there.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:59 AM

183 posts, read 700,406 times
I don't find bugs to be a big problem. The only bug I have issue with is fire ants and their mounds on the lawn. That is easily treated though. I have never seen a palmetto bug since I have been in Ga.(11 years). You could always have your property treated by pest control if you found it necessary.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:35 PM

71 posts, read 479,072 times
Default Bugs

East Central Georgia and South, you are going to find Palmetto bugs - large, flying cockroach things. They are going to be bad, especially around pine trees and all the treating in the world won't get rid of them.

North Georgia, the only bugs I ever encourntered in the house were little silver bugs and they were not that common.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,905 times
I moved to cental georgia about 14yrs ago. Yes I have seen palmetto bugs but no way as often as some of the poster suggest. They are usually visual spring-fall. Especially during the summer. This year it has been unusually hot and dry, so the bugs have been very visual,looking for water. A few palmetto bugs have managed to get inside my home. My husband sprayed around the house and inside with Ortho home defense. Our problem has been minimal.
Bugs are everwhere. My family live in the north and northerners have major problems with roaches and rats, especially in the cities where there is congestion. Being that I have lived here quite some time, I am just sharing my experience. Have an exterminator to spray once a year, keep your grass cut, keep mulch and pinestraw away from the house, keep your house clean and uncluttered, treat fireant mounds (there are a number of products available), have a few cats roaming around outside and if you should see any bugs inside just spray with an insectide purchased over counter or call the exterminator. Do these simple steps and you should be fine. Wherver you live in the US there will be annoyances--bugs, animals, plants, people. You just need to know how to deal with them.

Last edited by happyinthesouth; 08-25-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Response to bugs in the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: