U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 29,275 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I'm thinking of moving to Milledgeville GA with my wife in a few months. She will be a professor at GCSU. I can work from home if need be so I'm not worried about employment so much. I'm worried about the area.

From what I've read, it has a 50-50 racial makeup and a very high unemployment rate. This town looks like it's struggling and I'd rather feel safe than sorry.

Help a brother out and let me know your thoughts. Good locations, bad locations, locations to never go, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM

64 posts, read 450,129 times
I went to school at GCSU. In my opinion, the only nice area is the campus and 1 block within it. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. Didn't like the area. There's really not much except the school and Wal-mart there. A lot of big businesses closed. However, there's really not much within a 30 minute drive to Milledgeville as far as I know. Good luck with finding a place!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM

29 posts, read 49,620 times
Milledgeville is really not struggling. We have just built a knew Kroger and many new subdivisions. Just like any other town milledgeville has its good and bad areas. It is overall a decent place to stay

Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,017,466 times
Milledgeville is really cool for it's size. Historic. 2 Colleges. A lot of things off of that road that the mall is on.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,295,211 times
Utterly boring. Its a small town. I've been a few times and its not for me at all. They have an Applebees and a Lowes.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,075,026 times
You have just read the description of most towns/villiages in southern GA and except for race/ethnic ratios a whole lot of places in North Georgia. It is the south and race is an issue especially in public schools. However, the vast, vast majority of all races just want to live and be left alone. You are going to find the rotten few everywhere of every color.

I live in Athens. The so called "classic city" and we recently had a riot in an apartment complex with an estimated 300 people involved. I believe the current figure for our poverty rate is that we are the worst in GA out of 159 counties. Our crime rate continues to go up. We have a large number of public housing units and all the crime that goes with that. I feel sorry for people who have to live in that situation. Yet, we have the University of Georgia, 2 major medical centers, several large Federal government office complexes and people still want to live here. Go figure. Oh, and our high school dropout rate hovers around 50% give or take. We have several unsolved murders of coeds still on the books. Lots of burglaries. And right next door we have Oconee County touted as the place to live in GA. It is a bedroom holding area for those who can afford to live there and it also has perhaps the best schools in the state or certainly the top 5. Everyplace has its warts and its pluses.

And I just realize the OP was back in August 2011 so my post is likely irrelevant. Got to remember to look at the OP date.

Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 AM

4 posts, read 15,693 times
A lot of things off of that road that the mall is on. http://www.depin.info/g.gif (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,017,466 times
Let me be a little more detailed. If you're looking for larger sized cities with beau coup shopping centers, malls, strips of clubs in several parts of town. It's not for you. However, if you just need the basics it should more than cover it for a small Georgia town. There's a mall, wal-mart, several chain restaurants, car dealerships, interesting downtown with some a few hangout spots, etc. It's decent for a small Georgia college town. There's some semblance of life at least alittle. If you want to talk about a REAL boring small Georgia college town, look at Ft. Valley. They have no mall, no real shopping centers, no wal-mart. It's pretty lame to have to drive way to Warner Robins, Perry, or Macon just to go to Wal-Mart

Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM

36 posts, read 89,923 times
I also went to GCSU but I really enjoyed the town quite a bit as far as small towns go. There is a lot of history there and lots of places to visit since it use to be the "old capital of Georgia." The downtown area is very fun to shop around in, even if its not as large of one as a city. There also is Lake Sinclair if you're interested in fishing or swimming at the lake.

There is a lot of charm to be found within the city. Also, most of the college goers speak ill because they either lived near, or lived in Athens or Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 223,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
You have just read the description of most towns/villiages in southern GA and except for race/ethnic ratios a whole lot of places in North Georgia. It is the south and race is an issue especially in public schools. However, the vast, vast majority of all races just want to live and be left alone. You are going to find the rotten few everywhere of every color.

I live in Athens. The so called "classic city" and we recently had a riot in an apartment complex with an estimated 300 people involved. I believe the current figure for our poverty rate is that we are the worst in GA out of 159 counties. Our crime rate continues to go up. We have a large number of public housing units and all the crime that goes with that. I feel sorry for people who have to live in that situation. Yet, we have the University of Georgia, 2 major medical centers, several large Federal government office complexes and people still want to live here. Go figure. Oh, and our high school dropout rate hovers around 50% give or take. We have several unsolved murders of coeds still on the books. Lots of burglaries. And right next door we have Oconee County touted as the place to live in GA. It is a bedroom holding area for those who can afford to live there and it also has perhaps the best schools in the state or certainly the top 5. Everyplace has its warts and its pluses.

And I just realize the OP was back in August 2011 so my post is likely irrelevant. Got to remember to look at the OP date.

Good luck.
Edit to add after the fact: I realize I had several threads opened (from last night, actually) that mentioned Athens, and that this thread isn't the most appropriate for my reply, although it can be cut and pasted for other questions about Athens. Why isn't there a separate section for the Athens-Clarke County and Oconee County area? (I know there is a thread about that, too.) These type of statistics and links to census data would make a good "sticky" for a section like that. As I stated at the end of this post, if you want to cut and past to another thread then feel free to do so, or at this point I might do so myself now that I realize I've posted it in the thread about Milledgeville!

I don't consider the OP to be that long ago, especially given that people do searches for "old" posts for information. As a Savannah resident (and UGA alumna) I was curious about your comments because we have always had high crime rates (I think at one time it was second in the country), and there is also the effects of crime that are not reflected in the rates, such as changes in behavior by residents to avoid crime in certain areas. There are some areas that look like nice neighborhoods, but if you left a bag of groceries on your car while taking in others you would probably find it missing by the time you got back to it. Those types of crimes are disturbing and affect the quality of life, but are not usually reported so they are not added to the crime rates. Similarly, people don't report stolen toys or minor household items (e.g. rakes), but they are still crimes which let you know that you are not safe where you live. After graduation I moved to downtown Savannah and considered having the window of my car bashed in (they tried to steal the stereo) just par for the course, which it pretty much is, yet I swore I'd never be so uncool as to move to the suburbs. Now I'm married and a parent and live in the suburbs. If my child rented the apartment (which was actually a nice apartment) I did downtown in my early 20s I'd have a conniption fit!

As you've stated in other posts, the crime maps tell you a lot. When you live within walking distance of a dense population of people living in poverty you can expect a lot of crime. I receive the daily crime report for my area and there is rarely ever a crime reported, and those are usually theft from cars that are unlocked. We simply do not have many people who can (and want to) just walk by where we live to commit the types of crimes they commit in other areas with high levels of poverty. I like living where people can leave out potted plants because they don't have to worry someone will steal them. Do you have a news link or can you post or PM about the riot in Athens you mentioned?

I thought you might be wrong about the poverty rate in Athens, but looked up the 2006-2010 census data and found that Athens-Clarke County (balance)* at 33.8% is higher than Savannah at 23.8%, which is different than the greater area of Chatham County (still uses the address of Savannah) with a lower poverty rate of 16.6%. During that time, homeownership for Athens-Clarke County was 45.3% with housing units in multi-unit structures at 43.8%. Those percentages are lower than homeownership in Georgia overall, which is 67.2%. Homeownership for Savannah at 47.4% is similar to Athens-Clarke County, although our multi-structure units rate is lower at 35.8%. Chatham County at 58.7% is closer to that of Georgia overall, and the percentage of multi-unit structures is only 27.7%. The median value of homes, median income for households, and median per capita income for all areas are similar.

Compare those statistics to those of Oconee County. The poverty rates is only 7.4%. Homeownership is 82.7% with housing units in multi-unit structures at only 6.1%. The median value of homes, median income for households, and median per capita income for Oconee County is about twice that of the areas of Athens-Clarke County, Savannah, and Chatham County.

Also**, Clarke-County has 26,248 renter-occupied housing units, which is 57.8% of all housing. Non-family households are at 51.5% and single person households at 30.6%, which means there are 20.9% of households that are non-family households with more than one person. I'm assuming that's partly reflective of the university student population (I would not want to live by the places I lived as a student now!) as well as the larger population of those who can not afford to own. The largest age group represented is that of 20-24 at 12.2%, clearly reflecting the influx of students at the university; compare that to the age groups immediately preceding and following, at 5.8% and 4.8%, respectively. All other age groups are even slightly smaller percentages.

Oconee County has 2,204 renter-occupied housing units, which is only 19.0% of all housing. Non-family households are at 19.6% and single person households at 16.3%, which means there are only 3.3% of households that are non-family households with more than one person. I'm assuming that not many university students of a traditional age rent in Oconee County. The statistics for age support that assumption. The 20-24 age group is 4.4%, which is actually lower than the 15-19 age group at 7.9% (their children leave for college), a percentage that doesn't return until the age group of 40-44 at 8.0%, although there is an increase represented in the 30-34 (5.1%) and 35-39 groups (7.0%). In fact, the age group from 20-29 is the lowest percentage represented until age 65-69 at 4.0%, after which it declines.

Of course, statistics can't tell a person everything, but these do say a lot about Oconee County being a stable, affluent community, which usually means less crime and better schools. If I were going to move to Athens and send my child to public school I'd move there, if possible, especially if I couldn't get a good feel for the area before I moved there. And for what it's worth, I have relatives there who certainly could have afforded private school for their child, but they lived in a suburb of Oconee County until he was graduated from high school, after which they moved to a home in the Five Points area. This was years ago, but his best friends from high school went to Ivy League schools. All that and for "free!" However, I think I read on one of these threads about Athens someone gave the advice that if the person's child was in middle or high school they might consider going ahead and moving to Athens-Clarke County if they find a home they really like and then send their child to private school. I think they cited the cost of transportation as partly off-setting the cost of private school, depending on how far they had to commute each day. I know that we moved to the suburbs and send our child to private school AND my husband has to commute a distance far enough that it is a significant cost for us (it's around $5,000/yr), although less than me having to drive back-and-forth twice a day to the school. When you consider the cost of buying and selling a home again and the cost of moving and any repairs or decorating to the home they might want to do if they want to live in Athens-Clarke County eventually then those factors should be considered.

I hope I've represented my alma mater well here. Boy, it was a lot more fun in college living in that dump in Five Points thinking I'd never live in the suburbs and not having to think about any of these issues.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon, "Beautiful Boy"
*For information on city-county "balance" see census description of consolodated city and what that includes in statistics.

**Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010; 2010 Demographic Profile Data

[I think I got that all correct. Feel free to ammend or correct as you see fit. Also, feel free to copy and paste elsewhere any sections you find relevant.]

Last edited by Sunny_Isles; 07-12-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or