Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 24,200 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old girl looking to live in Georgia. I am currently living in a small town with a population of about 2300 people in Iowa. It's the kind of town where you rarely lock your doors, and everyone says hi when I pass them in the street.

What are some small towns in northern Georgia similar to this?

I would like a population around or under 3000
Low crime
Good schools (I am an Elementary teacher)
Friendly People
Low poverty levels
Not too far from shopping centers
Low levels of illegal immigrants

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM

10,730 posts, read 13,263,245 times
Check out Blue Ridge. It may not meet each of your criteria, but it would be good starting point for you.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM

150 posts, read 479,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Check out Blue Ridge. It may not meet each of your criteria, but it would be good starting point for you.

Low Poverty levels then Blue Ridge would not fit the criteria. Getting a teaching Job right now in Blue Ridge is nex to impossible. Close to shopping centers...um theres no shopping centers near Blue Ridge. My question is why would someone want to leave a nice town In Iowa for northern Georgia?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:11 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Low Poverty levels then Blue Ridge would not fit the criteria. Getting a teaching Job right now in Blue Ridge is nex to impossible. Close to shopping centers...um theres no shopping centers near Blue Ridge. My question is why would someone want to leave a nice town In Iowa for northern Georgia?
There are shopping centers than in Blue Ridge that have an Ingles grocery store, and one that contains a Roses Department Store.

Poverty is higher in Blue Ridge than it is in metro Atlanta, but that can be said to be the case everywhere in rural America. Maybe Dade County, Georgia, in the far northwestern corner of the state. It's low-crime, low-illegal aliens, very small population, yet is only a thirty minute drive or so to the Chattanooga area that has malls and other shopping areas. There aren't very many positions up anyhow in most areas of the state, and Dade is so small in population that they have fewer than five schools, if I'm not mistaken.

It's really hard to find everything that fits her criteria, for if you find one that is small, it likely doesn't have openings, and it may not have shopping. If you find one that has illegal aliens, it may have job openings. If you find one with low poverty, then it's likely higher than the population she desires. Thus, it's really hard to even find a place in northern Georgia that matches everything she wants.

What about Commerce? It may be too large, however. Bremen in Harralson County is fairly small, probably a little larger. The schools aren't great, but they aren't bad either. There's some shopping nearby, and Douglasville isn't too far for really good shopping. Poverty isn't terribly high, but it isn't low either. Crime isn't too high. Illegal population is fairly low in Harralson County (It's in the northern half of Georgia, but in that area, it is referred to as "West Georgia", as it's fairly close to Alabama).

Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,577,873 times
Pick a town within 10 miles of I-85 north(east) of Atlanta.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:54 PM

10,730 posts, read 13,263,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYFRIED View Post
Countryfried, I am sorry to be disagreeable but Blue Ridge has wonderful high end shopping, great markets, a good community life and beautiful vistas. Yes, there is poverty. Where isn't there? Many communities are in the North Georgia mountains that haven a terrific quality of life.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,117,664 times
East Ellijay has quite a bit a shopping these days as well. Murphy, N.C. same. And of course, the local places usually have everything you need to survive as well.

You will find poverty to massive rich folks in the North GA. mountains, if you ask me. So that isn't going to be an issue either.

The biggest issue for the OP will be employment... and before anyone makes a move, that should be top priority.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM

150 posts, read 479,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Countryfried, I am sorry to be disagreeable but Blue Ridge has wonderful high end shopping, great markets, a good community life and beautiful vistas. Yes, there is poverty. Where isn't there? Many communities are in the North Georgia mountains that haven a terrific quality of life.

But it sounds like shes actually from a small country town and the wonderful high end shopping only appeals to the weekend warriors from Atlanta and Floriduh. Fact the actual working class folks of Blue Ridge dont actually frequent any of those shops. The small town friendly community feel in Blue Ridge is dying quickly.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,920,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
There are shopping centers than in Blue Ridge that have an Ingles grocery store, and one that contains a Roses Department Store.

Poverty is higher in Blue Ridge than it is in metro Atlanta, but that can be said to be the case everywhere in rural America. Maybe Dade County, Georgia, in the far northwestern corner of the state. It's low-crime, low-illegal aliens, very small population, yet is only a thirty minute drive or so to the Chattanooga area that has malls and other shopping areas. There aren't very many positions up anyhow in most areas of the state, and Dade is so small in population that they have fewer than five schools, if I'm not mistaken.

It's really hard to find everything that fits her criteria, for if you find one that is small, it likely doesn't have openings, and it may not have shopping. If you find one that has illegal aliens, it may have job openings. If you find one with low poverty, then it's likely higher than the population she desires. Thus, it's really hard to even find a place in northern Georgia that matches everything she wants.

What about Commerce? It may be too large, however. Bremen in Harralson County is fairly small, probably a little larger. The schools aren't great, but they aren't bad either. There's some shopping nearby, and Douglasville isn't too far for really good shopping. Poverty isn't terribly high, but it isn't low either. Crime isn't too high. Illegal population is fairly low in Harralson County (It's in the northern half of Georgia, but in that area, it is referred to as "West Georgia", as it's fairly close to Alabama).
Dade County and Douglasville are all considered suburbs of their respective metro areas. Far from rural, though I'm sure they are that much closer to rural from Atlanta or Chattanooga.

For something more rural, yet close to civilization, there are TONS of places in North Georgia. North Ga is also known as the Atlanta region since Atlanta Metro pretty much swallows up that half of the state anyway. ...Back to the subject at hand.

Cleveland is a beautiful small town. Wikipedia puts the 2000 population at just under 2,000 though it is probably a bit higher than that at this point. Not far from shopping in Gainesville. Same goes for Braselton, Dahlonega, Helen or Jefferson. All great areas within an hour and a half from Atlanta.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Dade County and Douglasville are all considered suburbs of their respective metro areas. Far from rural, though I'm sure they are that much closer to rural from Atlanta or Chattanooga.

For something more rural, yet close to civilization, there are TONS of places in North Georgia. North Ga is also known as the Atlanta region since Atlanta Metro pretty much swallows up that half of the state anyway. ...Back to the subject at hand.

Cleveland is a beautiful small town. Wikipedia puts the 2000 population at just under 2,000 though it is probably a bit higher than that at this point. Not far from shopping in Gainesville. Same goes for Braselton, Dahlonega, Helen or Jefferson. All great areas within an hour and a half from Atlanta.
Douglasville is suburban, but my point about it is that it's a relatively easy, quick drive from Bremen. Since I mentioned Bremen, I used Douglasville as a point for the shopping.

Dade County is technically part of the Chattanooga MSA, but it's downright rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia