Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:23 PM

383 posts, read 722,947 times

Advertisements

Both areas are building alot of new houses, they're growing pretty fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:50 AM

25 posts, read 99,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
So now would be the time to buy, before all of the commercial strip malls get there.
When I first got to the area in 2001, we had a picnic at the military rec site at Thurmond Lake. I kept driving and driving and driving and driving to get to this place; thought I was lost. Now, 6 years later I live a short distance from the lake. My point is, in just a few years the area has developed ALOT. I believe that now is the time to buy.

If you look at Serenity Pointe' site, there are still lots available; they aren't selling like they would have if this was 2 years ago. You can certainly try to strike a deal now and then refinance in a few years for a better interest rate.

Many people think that b/c the area isn't close to a big city that it should really be a lot cheaper. Realize that in the last 5 years, this area has been catching up to the rest of the country as far as real estate prices. I think it is a very nice area and it is worth looking into.

On one site, I noticed that Lot 6 at Serenity Pointe was listed for 49,800 and it is 3.85 acres; not sure how much of that is rolling land, but that is a darn good price. They do have stipulations as to home size etc. After seeing your thread and looking at the site map for Serenity....well, I am now looking into myself now...LOL. I tell you what, if Lot 6 wasn't a corner Lot I would be all over it! If the real estate market was in better shape, my house (which I love) would be on the market yesterday and I would be a new member of Serenity.

If anyone has any cons about this area, please share! I wouldn't want to invest in a losing situation.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM

25 posts, read 99,861 times
Tjstrain,

I recommend that you also take a look at Larkspur. It is a much smaller community and though none of the homesites is located on the lakefront, it does have a road, a single road that leads to the water. What is also nice about this community is that there is only one way in and one way out. Oops! I love that,you might not. I am sure you have your list and it is good that you are doing your research so that you can work hand in hand with your realtor. Good luck with your search!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 AM

515 posts, read 1,590,547 times
Tidbits, thanks for the info. I do like Serenity Pointe and I saw "that lot" for sale. Also, If it wasn't a corner lot I would have considered getting it also. I drove all through Serenity Pointe when I was up there and like the location but not the asking prices at the time. I'm looking for a southern facing lot like
# 60 thru 80. Also, I want a really nice water view, no little cove. Which probably by now with the drought, all of the small coves are dried up. They were pretty close to that when I saw them.
I'm seeing tons of those developments a little further north of Rt 378 on the lake, the prices are dropping and even going to auction. The investment BUST is hitting there also. This next year will tell a lot and show some fair prices.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:07 AM

One thing that I noticed when I drove all over the west side of Thurmond Lake was that there were probably 6 BRAND NEW developments going in. The roads were still being installed at the time and maybe in all those communities there were a total of maybe 10 house either being built or recently finished. These builder were depending on the great real estate boom that was going on 2005/6 to sell all of those lots and most seemed to have sold the majority of their lots. I'm betting that just like here in Florida where there were brand new developments popping up on every empty field, now those people who bought when new are getting forclosed on. Were going to see it happen a lot more up there. I've been following the local papers up there and have seen them appearing already. Savanna Bay just had an auction on two of it's lots. Owner walked away from them. I stopped in there on my journey, nice community but I thought it would have been gated.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 65,012 times
tjstrain - I was wondering what resources you are using for your search? I have been wanting to build some information for my own website, but I just haven't got around to it. It takes a lot of time to build good content that is valuable to the consumer.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of activity around Clarks Hill, although I tend to agree with another poster it is more developed on the East than the West. It's kind of a secret dream of mine to get a small second home on the lake someday.

Lydia Taylor
Realtor & Broker
www.northofthesavannah.com

Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Taylor View Post
tjstrain - I was wondering what resources you are using for your search? [/url]
Foreclosure.com shows some great trends that are happening everywhere. Reading the local papers from that area. When I was up in the area talking with a few realtors and sales people at those new developments along the lake, the prices were just like prices here in Naples, Fl. I guess they thought they had a gold mine up there. Already two lots in one of the new develoments went to auction and did not sell. Their both in Foreclosure now. The sales people and realtors have called saying that the prices are dropping. If the exposure and view were better I'd go after them. I'm to damn picky though. I probably will be calling the bank on Monday to inquire about the prices. I'm investing in Florida properties now to flip when the prices go back up in a few years, until then I'll rent them out. The lake property will be for us to retire to eventully so it's gotta be perfect, until then I'll be visiting there and building our luxury cabin in the woods.
Here in sw florida like CA, we are on the crest of the real estate plunge wave, the rest (most) of you are falling in somewhere behind us. It's gonna hit you just wait. I wish it wouldn't but it will.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,502 times
Default Lost

I'm purchasing a lot in Eagles Point Subdivision and I can not locate the street "name" where the main entrace is, can anyone help?

Old 06-10-2008, 01:57 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
WHAT? Is everyone asleep!
Gosh, hope you leave attitude down there when you move.
Sometimes ??? about a specific area take a while for a response.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,071 times
I know of a company that says they will guarantee the value of the home and also give you up to 24 months of mortgage payments in Lake Thurmond. Let me know if you are interested and I can pass you their name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia