U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Troy Davis be executed?
Yes. The evidence is plenty sufficient. 11 29.73%
No. He deserves a new trial. 19 51.35%
No. He should be released at once. 2 5.41%
No. The death penalty is immoral. 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,265,201 times

Advertisements

Should Troy Davis be executed?

Is the evidence against him solid, or does it fail the threshold of reasonable doubt?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Should Troy Davis be executed?

Is the evidence against him solid, or does it fail the threshold of reasonable doubt?
Given the information I've seen based on a short bit of research via Google and friends, it seems there is a certain amount of doubt about this court case.

"Seven of the nine main witnesses whose testimony led to his conviction have since recanted. The murder weapon has never been found, and there is no physical evidence linking the crime to Davis, who has asserted his innocence throughout."

Read more: Will Georgia Kill an Innocent Man? - TIME

I question the execution based on what I've read. However, I realize that I likely do not have all of the available information at my disposal.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 AM

10,004 posts, read 9,283,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Given the information I've seen based on a short bit of research via Google and friends, it seems there is a certain amount of doubt about this court case.

"Seven of the nine main witnesses whose testimony led to his conviction have since recanted. The murder weapon has never been found, and there is no physical evidence linking the crime to Davis, who has asserted his innocence throughout."

Read more: Will Georgia Kill an Innocent Man? - TIME

I question the execution based on what I've read. However, I realize that I likely do not have all of the available information at my disposal.
I'm like you. While I'm sure I don't know all of the details and am certainly u familiar with all of the facts, it does seem to me that there is reasonable doubt as to his guilt. I would hope, at a minimum, that his sentence be commuted to life in prison.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,639,930 times
If nothing else... I wish death penalties carried a burden of no doubt... vs. reasonable doubt.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
If nothing else... I wish death penalties carried a burden of no doubt... vs. reasonable doubt.
I wish death penalties were abandoned.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Is imprisoning someone for the rest of their life with no chance for parole somehow kinder?

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,859,196 times
hang em all

Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,259,938 times
Quote:
I completely agree with this. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right. Unfortunately, this mentality is not exactly prevalent around these parts..

BTW, as an alternative to life in jail (unless it was one of the worst crimes known to man) I believe there should be an extensive rehabilitation program for those who commit crimes. There should be some kind of point system implemented so those who haven't learned their lesson DO stay behind bars.

Bottom line... I think the system needs to be re-evaluated to save the taxpayers money while at the same time not killing anyone with the death penalty.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,853,765 times
Quote:
With the enhanced scientific evidence such as DNA that is available for today's prosecutors, there is no need to abandon the death penalty. We can be virtually 100% certain in many cases that the accused is indeed guilty.

What we are dealing with in the Davis case is a leftover from days when that kind of certain scientific evidence was not available. When the defendant is either captured on video or seen by multiple eye witnesses, along with DNA and/or other certain evidence, there is no reason that the death penalty cannot be delivered surely and swiftly.

It's a shame that the courthouse killer Brian Nichols somehow skated and didn't get the death penalty. If ever a case cried out for execution, his was it. The jurors and judge in that case should be ashamed.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
With the enhanced scientific evidence such as DNA that is available for today's prosecutors, there is no need to abandon the death penalty. We can be virtually 100% certain in many cases that the accused is indeed guilty.

What we are dealing with in the Davis case is a leftover from days when that kind of certain scientific evidence was not available. When the defendant is either captured on video or seen by multiple eye witnesses, along with DNA and/or other certain evidence, there is no reason that the death penalty cannot be delivered surely and swiftly.

It's a shame that the courthouse killer Brian Nichols somehow skated and didn't get the death penalty. If ever a case cried out for execution, his was it. The jurors and judge in that case should be ashamed.
I live I world believing it is inhabited by an evolved and civilized society. Killing in the name of justice, just because a jury is 99.9% certain, is nonetheless the taking of a human life. If someone raped, tortured and murdered my child, I may personally try to exact the ultimate vengeance. But as a society, I would like to think we are beyond such. As human beings we can never be 100% certain, regardless of our investigative and scientific prowess. The risk of one innocent person being executed outweighs by unimaginable orders of magnitude the sense of self satisfied revenge over the death of the clearly guilty. Surely we are more evolved than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia