U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
6,206 posts, read 7,058,442 times
Default Georgia counties ranked by tourist expenditures(2009)

Fulton county includes the city of Atlanta, Cobb has Six Flags, Chatham is know for downtown Savannah, Dekalb gets tourist coming to Stone Mountain, etc.. What does Clayton have besides Hartsfield and Atlanta Motor Speedway right next door? I was actually surprise it ranked ahead of Gwinnett....

1. Fulton
2. Cobb
3. Chatham
4. Dekalb
5. Clayton
6. Gwinnett
7. Richmond
8. Muscogee
9. Glynn
10. Bibb

Scroll all the way down to table 3.3 to see the counties ranked from highest to lowest.. I stopped after the top ten counties in the state.
http://www.georgia.org/SiteCollectio...N%20122710.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 03:43 PM

876 posts, read 1,128,264 times
Clayton County has the Tara mansion (Gone with the Wind) in Jonesboro.

I figured Gwinnett would draw more tourists than Clayton even with that in mind.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:09 PM

7,680 posts, read 9,708,198 times
Cobb also has Kennesaw Mountain, as well as some smaller attractions around Marietta and Kennesaw related to the civil war.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,070,422 times
this isn't just "tourism" in the traditional sense of the word; this is general travel expenditures. It can be anything from a family going to a braves game, an out-of-town construction crew coming in to work on a new project, or an overnight business trip.

i see valdosta comes in at #11 in the state, just ahead of athens.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Fulton county includes the city of Atlanta, Cobb has Six Flags, Chatham is know for downtown Savannah, Dekalb gets tourist coming to Stone Mountain, etc.. What does Clayton have besides Hartsfield and Atlanta Motor Speedway right next door? I was actually surprise it ranked ahead of Gwinnett....
If there are a large number of hotels around the airport, that may account for part of Clayton's numbers.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:14 AM

92 posts, read 142,957 times
What about the transplant-filled city of Valdosta? Where does that rank since it has a nice amusement park Wild Adventures? I tell ya if not for Moody and VSU, Valdosta may be a dump rivaling Moultrie. Only due to Moody and VSU, and other than East and South Valdosta, Valdosta probably would be near the bottom for having people spend their big moolah.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 AM

I meant if not for Moody and VSU. Sorry. Also include the East and South side section named Little Miami in the reason for it garnering a low ranking. it is downright nasty and like the wild west in those sections of V-Town.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Default You like to promote valdosta southgeorgia? lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
this isn't just "tourism" in the traditional sense of the word; this is general travel expenditures. It can be anything from a family going to a braves game, an out-of-town construction crew coming in to work on a new project, or an overnight business trip.

i see valdosta comes in at #11 in the state, just ahead of athens.
I would surmise that Moody and the naive big spending Florida bound tourists would account for it being ahead of Athens, right?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,070,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipperrX View Post
I would surmise that Moody and the naive big spending Florida bound tourists would account for it being ahead of Athens, right?

moody, vsu, south georgia medical center, wild adventures, south ga motorsports park, pga nationwide tour, proximity to i-75, etc. . .etc. . .

each city at the top is there for a reason, and without it would certainly move down the list.

take away the top cities biggest attractions, and what would they be? without UGA, athens would be nothing also. i don't see the point behind such comparisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia