U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtoocold View Post
Good to know, maybe I will look into Northern Florida, if it's that nice! I know I can trust a Wisconsinite!
Hmmm. I question the purity of your Minnesota blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,308,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Now that's ENTIRELY up to personal taste (I'm a MN Born, but WY raised pasty white boy in GA). If I were going to move into this region with unlimited choice, I'd be looking at very northern GA, very eastern TN, or very western NC ~ basically, in the mountains. The temps are cooler, humidity usually seems lower (granted, not going to be an issue if you're from MN, but it's always NICE to have lower humidity), and since I'm a motorcyclist, the roads are phenomenal.

In the 5 years I've lived in GA, I've been to the gulf 3 times on "vacation"... if my wife never makes me go back, that would be Perfectly acceptable to me.
I say keep moving south until you are completely out of range of any snow and sleet or ice, anytime.

If you lived in MN or WI a long time like I did, you'd get it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,436,287 times
Your impressions of the weather in Georgia are fairly accurate. The winter down here is similar to a Minnesota fall, and cold snaps take the temps at night down into the teens or even single digits a few times during the year, which isn't too bad. Some nice crisp air.

It's a nice change from a colder winter, for sure, and the more northern areas of the state are forested and hilly like the arrowhead region of MN and a very pleasant area to drive through. Beautiful.

I live in the Atlanta metro and don't know a lot about areas outside except as a tourist, so I'll let others provide real info, but we moved down here from MN a bit over seven years ago now and we're still alive so it can certainly be done.

Don't know much about Florida, but I suspect the further south you go the longer and more humid the summers will become. Summer at the latitude of Atlanta isn't that bad, really, tho it will be a change for you, but I think doable. Florida might require more adjustment.

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM

20 posts, read 54,658 times
Florida tends to be just a bit too hot for too long. I lived there and though I loved it, man was it hot there. I come from a northern state myself and it took awhile to get used to the climate in the South. But I love it now. North Georgia is the best of all worlds. It'll be cool enough for you to call it home. But just be ready for the summers. Otherwise, all is good.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:50 AM

223 posts, read 454,891 times
Hi, I am a Georgia native who recently moved to the TC from NY. North Georgia is awesome! I may be considered biased as that is where I grew up, but it really is beautiful country with great people. I grew up in a very small town outside of Athens (Go Dawgs). Athens is a great little town, big enough for a mall & chain restaurants but still small. You would be an hour away from most parts of Atlanta. If you're into music, Athens has an awesome music scene. The home of REM & the B-52's(I'm quite a bit older than you! lol) but from what I hear the music is still great with a batch of new bands. It is a college town, so not sure if that is your cup of tea. Yes it is hot as heck in Georgia. I have to admit, I do not miss the humidity, but that is why there is air conditioning! You can't beat the spring, fall & winters there though. If you have any specific questions for a native, don't hesitate to message me. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 23,717 times
I live in the Cleveland-Helen GA area. Great small town living with little crime. Beautiful mountain views. We don't get much snow here but the roads can get icy in winter. You might also try Dahlonega or Peachtree City. You will find the friendliest people here. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM

223 posts, read 454,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRose61 View Post
I live in the Cleveland-Helen GA area. Great small town living with little crime. Beautiful mountain views. We don't get much snow here but the roads can get icy in winter. You might also try Dahlonega or Peachtree City. You will find the friendliest people here. Good luck!
Great post. Those are awesome, beautiful places. Can't believe I left Dahlonega out in my post...I went to college there! Guess I had my mind on northeast which I find equally special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or