Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM

391 posts, read 1,708,449 times

Advertisements

I was pulled over Friday and ticketed for my window tint being to dark. I explained to the officer that I purchased this from World Toyota this way. His response to me was that's my problem.

I don't think it is fair to the consumer to have to shell out hundreds of dollars to get tint removed when the dealership should have known and disclosed to me that the tint was illegal.

Is there some recourse in the law for this. Someone told me that if you can prove it was purchased this way the ticket will be thrown out but I haven't read that in Georgia law.

Can I go back to the dealer to fix this at no cost to me. How is this my fault. What if I couldn't afford to fix this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,817 times
So if you purchase a car with a bad speedo and run 150 (assume you have a nice car), that's not your fault?

No there is no recource from the angle you are looking for. its a 70$ (give or take) fix it ticket. either fix it or pay ticket and move on.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM

391 posts, read 1,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
So if you purchase a car with a bad speedo and run 150 (assume you have a nice car), that's not your fault?

No there is no recource from the angle you are looking for. its a 70$ (give or take) fix it ticket. either fix it or pay ticket and move on.
The sarcasm isn't necessary. It's better I ask the question than assume. I wouldn't think that a reputable dealer would be able to sell a car to a consumer that is illegal in any manner without disclosing it. I am sure u are right about there being no recourse but I think there should be. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
I would talk to the dealer about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,263 times
Where did this happen?

I am wondering what they do with a vehicle from out of state. Texas allows very dark tinting.

And you are right, sarcasm doesn't help.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,238,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcharm View Post
I don't think it is fair to the consumer to have to shell out hundreds of dollars to get tint removed
neither do i, but the officer is correct.

Quote:
when the dealership should have known and disclosed to me that the tint was illegal.

it seems to me they should have removed it.

Quote:
Someone told me that if you can prove it was purchased this way the ticket will be thrown out but I haven't read that in Georgia law..
i don't think so. i had a vehicle with 15% installed by the dealer during the time georgia had repealed the tint law. I was pulled over a few times after the law went back into effect; i still had all the receipts in the glove box, and none of that mattered i was told. i was never issued a citation, just told to get the tint off, which i never did.

Quote:
Can I go back to the dealer to fix this at no cost to me. How is this my fault. What if I couldn't afford to fix this?
i would at least ask.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
In Florida, it is illegal for a dealership to sell a vehicle with illegal components. Here, the dealer has to pay for the ticket if you can prove that's the way it came... I dont know if Georgia has a similar law.

If you got pulled over for window tint, unless it's totally limo-blacked out, you ran into a real dick cop looking to fill his quota, ridiculous that police do stuff like this with so much REAL crime out there

Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
The sarcasm isn't necessary. It's better I ask the question than assume. I wouldn't think that a reputable dealer would be able to sell a car to a consumer that is illegal in any manner without disclosing it. I am sure u are right about there being no recourse but I think there should be. Thanks for your input.
What sarcasm?

It is up to the tinting shop to ensure legality, you know, the one that did the job. There is no requirement for a dealer to measure tint before buying or selling a vehicle.

You are making an elephant out of a FIX IT ticket. Can't wait till you actually get charged with something more significant. Still no sarcasm.

You can take care of side windows yourself. use a flex scraper and soapy solution as lubricant. back window is typically 50-70$ to remove at a shop, the cost of your ticket. See what i meant about either fix it, or pay it and move on?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM

7 posts, read 26,047 times
There is no such thing as a 'fix it ticket' in GA. Under GA law once you enter the state you must follow GA law. Your only option is to pay it or go to court...where you will lose becuase its illegal tint.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1141a View Post
There is no such thing as a 'fix it ticket' in GA. Under GA law once you enter the state you must follow GA law. Your only option is to pay it or go to court...where you will lose becuase its illegal tint.

why are you arguing with me when you have no idea what you are saying? ticket is dropped when you show proof to the judge/solicitor (if requested) that the violation has been corrected.

it is an equipment violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia