Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the northern third of Georgia chracteristically "Deep South"?
Yes 25 50.00%
No 25 50.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times

Advertisements

You hear many people talk about Georgia as belonging to the "Deep South", and while I don't disagree, I don't believe that the northern third of the state is characteristically "Deep South".

For one thing, the northern third of Georgia is of a higher altitude than most of the rest of the lower south (Deep South). Secondly, demographically, outside the major cities, the northern third of Georgia is whiter than what is traditionally seen in areas of the "Deep South". The Appalachian influence takes a dive down into the northern parts of Georgia, much further south than most locations in the "Deep South". I could include the upstate of South Carolina and northeastern Alabama in with northern Georgia as well.

So what do you think? Is northern Georgia characteristically "Deep South" to you? Yes or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM

23 posts, read 118,964 times
God no but only those that have lived there understand that. North Ga is in the south but it is a whole different world than what you would think of as deep south. South of ATL and then ATL and north might as well be two different states. North Ga you can look more of like southern Indiana. And southern Ga, well, DoH were not far off. ~born Indiana, raised Albany Ga, lived 15 years around ATL~

Old 12-10-2011, 08:09 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
IMO, the northern third of GA would have more in common with the Upper South, or Southern Appalachia.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:18 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
To me, the northern third of Georgia consists of several areas which aren't characteristically "deep-south".

For one, it has an Appalachian feel and culture that one can find in Western NC, Eastern TN, and western VA.

Second, far northwestern Georgia is very similar to the Ridge & Valley, almost Tennessee-like areas of eastern TN and northeast Alabama.

The Atlanta area, as well as areas below the Appalachians and Ridge & Valley seem more in-line with the Piedmont areas of North Carolina, Virginia, and the upstate of South Carolina.

The rest of the state, however, starting at around Jackson on I-75, past Newnan on I-85 (Newnan was more traditionally deep south, however; suburbanization has changed this a bit), and Conyers/Covington on I-20 E, you're in what can be characterized as "Deep South" Georgia. On I-20 west, it's sort of a hybrid between "Deep South" and more northern southern influences.

In other "Deep South" states, such as Mississippi, practically the entire state is "Deep South". South Carolina outside of the Upstate, too, and Alabama, outside of the northeastern quadrant, tapering off at around the Birmingham area (which is sort of a hybrid itself).

Old 12-11-2011, 07:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
^ There is a different "feel" in north MS compared to south MS though. I don't know, maybe there's a bit of Midwest influence there somehow.

I live in south AL, and well, the Huntsville area feels like a totally different state to me.

I think most states have their different regions with their own identity, just look at Florida.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 AM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
To me, the northern third of Georgia consists of several areas which aren't characteristically "deep-south".

For one, it has an Appalachian feel and culture that one can find in Western NC, Eastern TN, and western VA.

Second, far northwestern Georgia is very similar to the Ridge & Valley, almost Tennessee-like areas of eastern TN and northeast Alabama.

The Atlanta area, as well as areas below the Appalachians and Ridge & Valley seem more in-line with the Piedmont areas of North Carolina, Virginia, and the upstate of South Carolina.

The rest of the state, however, starting at around Jackson on I-75, past Newnan on I-85 (Newnan was more traditionally deep south, however; suburbanization has changed this a bit), and Conyers/Covington on I-20 E, you're in what can be characterized as "Deep South" Georgia. On I-20 west, it's sort of a hybrid between "Deep South" and more northern southern influences.

In other "Deep South" states, such as Mississippi, practically the entire state is "Deep South". South Carolina outside of the Upstate, too, and Alabama, outside of the northeastern quadrant, tapering off at around the Birmingham area (which is sort of a hybrid itself).
Good breakdown. I would also venture to say that Augusta would be a borderline fit into the Piedmont region stretching from Northern Virginia to Metro Atlanta.

The fact that it's difficult to find sweet tea in places like Dalton further signifies the point that Northern Georgia isn't the typical deep south.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
There is enough posted here to convince me that Appalachia in North Georgia is largely not part of the so-called "Deep South." I just didn't think about it a lot, but it is food for thought. While I never lived in Appalachia, many of my relatives do live there and they are "different." I really don't relate to them, and it may be because in part, I have lived primarily in metro Atlanta (mostly in suburbs).

Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
The Southeast has three distinct geographical districts: Mountain (Blue Ridge and Ridge/Valley in N GA), Piedmont and Coastal Plain. The differnece in the geography led to differences in agriculture and industry, so each of these areas have had distinctives. I have felt more akin to piedmont mill towns in the Carolinas than some cities in my own state. I feel Griffin and LaGrange (the two larger towns where I spent most of my growing up years) had more in common with the likes of Anderson SC or Concord, NC than they were to Dahlonega or Valdosta.

The term Deep South is a loose one, you would get many different definitions from different southerners. It does conjur up images of antebellum plantations, hoop skirted beauties, moonlight and magnolias. That is definitely not the image of the Appalachian region. But that doesn't make Appalachia any less southern.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Good breakdown. I would also venture to say that Augusta would be a borderline fit into the Piedmont region stretching from Northern Virginia to Metro Atlanta.
That's pretty accurate, as Augusta is a fall line city which is the transition area from the coastal plain to the Piedmont. Columbus and I believe Macon fall into this region also.

Quote:
The fact that it's difficult to find sweet tea in places like Dalton further signifies the point that Northern Georgia isn't the typical deep south.
As far as cuisine goes, I don't think of sweet tea being mostly associated with the deep South; I think that's throughout the South in general. As far as the Deep South subregion goes, which is more associated with the Atlantic and Gulf coastal plain regions, you'll see more of the cuisine centered around seafood and rice.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Here's my interpretation of the basic geology of Georgia:

I split the Piedmont into two regions -- "High" and "Low" -- because there seems to be a section of the Piedmont that isn't quite mountainous, but still has somewhat of a "mountainous" feel to it, doesn't seem to be quite as heavily dissected, and has a few ridges that run parallel to the mountains to the north. This region I've labeled the High Piedmont. On the other hand, the Low Piedmont is much more heavily dissected and feels more "hilly" than mountainous. My concept of the High and Low Piedmont can be illustrated by Gwinnett County versus Greene County. Both counties are roughly equidistant from Athens, yet when I drive from Athens into Greene County, I feel like I'm in an entirely different region of the state, but when I drive from Athens into Gwinnett County, I feel like I'm still in the same region.

Another thing I ought to point out: the boundaries in middle and south Georgia are approximate. I know the line between the Piedmont and the coastal plains doesn't follow the fall line, but that's because there are still plenty of hills south of the fall line. I have that line drawn about where the flat land begins to get hilly. And the line between the two coastal plains is approximate as well. My basis for that line is, "When I'm in this area, do I feel like I'm closer to Tallahassee and Panama City, or do I feel like I'm closer to Savannah and Brunswick?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia