U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,978,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
Since these 2nd tier Georgia city debates have been taken place on various different topics that lead back to a comparison; you have been provided countless times what columbus lacks compared to the others which doesn't give it that big city feel that reflect it's population of nearly 200K.

But just to give some repeated food for thought
Columbus lacks:
  • NO Interstate Access/Major highways
  • NO Selection in Retail and Dining for a City of it's size
  • NO skyline
  • A lot of small town similarities
  • NO Mid-size or large city developments planned or proposed
Just to name a few; most of the retail, dining and Etc thats in Macon, Augusta or Savannah; Columbus doesn't even have yet or its just getting one. Example: What Cities in America with a Population of 180K has Only (1) Mall with (1) level; It's true that Malls are the thing of the pass but Columbus has been consolidated with the county for many years and was once Ga 2nd second largest city by population; Columbus should easily landed a least 2 malls in all of those years; but do you want to know why? Columbus pop numbers looks good on paper; but in person it doesn't stand up with those numbers as far as city feel and which would make any developer question the success of any large city developments.

Now if it was Macon or Augusta both cities gives you a feel that you're in a much larger city; plus they are right off of major interstates..... That's why Augusta and Sometimes Macon can land retail and dining plus pull off developments that are not in Columbus; If Macon can get its Consolidation passed; there are going to be some big things happening there soon..... With it being consolidiated with Bibb county; it will allow Macon to have the pop figures it needs to support its larger city feel and market the city successfully for development.... plus because of its in close proxmity to Atlanta and the commuter rail project underway; In years to come I can really see GA investing more in Macon due to the over flow in Atlanta and the need for another class 1 city in GA. Macon also has a new development with 2 phases. Phase 1 would feature an upscale tower hotel with 40 rooms, 24 condominiums and top-floor restaurant and club which would include a 100,000-square-foot office building and a public parking deck. Phase 2 would add retail space and 142 apartments;"Approved" DT which will be one of a kind out side of atlanta for Ga Second tier cities; here are the renderings below. Keep in mind, Macon was able to pull this off with a Pop of 92k not 189K like Columbus. So just think of the developments it could land once it's consolidated...... and has a higher Pop. plus Robins AF base is less than 15 minutes away. 5 universities and colleges are in close proximity.

[/LEFT]

If it wasn't for Ft Benning columbus really wouldn't be known for anything else.... Eventhough it does have a couple of Corporate HQ.....
Here's that whatchamacallit I was telling you about. Just build it they'll come. Yep, where's that "Music Hall of Shame, I'm sorry Fame"? And let's not forget Macon Woopie or whatever they were called? No matter what you build you're still Macon, GA and some things are just a bad fit for Macon. Any way, I hope this hotel venture does well, because Macon sure does need a lift. Like I told Norton from Augusta this discussion could go on for a while with no one wining, so... Gotta go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 679,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Here's that whatchamacallit I was telling you about. Just build it they'll come. Yep, where's that "Music Hall of Shame, I'm sorry Fame"? And let's not forget Macon Woopie or whatever they were called? No matter what you build you're still Macon, GA and some things are just a bad fit for Macon. Any way, I hope this hotel venture does well, because Macon sure does need a lift. Like I told Norton from Augusta this discussion could go on for a while with no one wining, so... Gotta go.
What's bringing the masses to Columbus? Some whitewater rafting project that the local leaders believe will magically bring in hordes of tourists?

Nope, just Fort Benning, and usually those who come, leave to better parts of the country/world.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,002,593 times
Someone from Macon talking about what Columbus lacks??? That's hilarious.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 AM

239 posts, read 262,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Someone from Macon talking about what Columbus lacks??? That's hilarious.
No it's not just someone, but most of everyone who has ever posted !!! the hilarious thing about it all, is that you failed to see that!!!! Everyone feels the same way about COLUMBUS!!!!! " Do you actually read the POSTS!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

Thats all your opinion buddy, Its obvious that there wiil be no ultimate winner here because everyone going to have a different view regardless what city it is; Same here, you made Bad comments about Macon but guess what, that doesn't mean that you are right and someone else may have a totally different view.... so if you think your post ruffed my feather think again buddy; even the great Atlanta have experienced some failed projects; what city hasn't so what excuses Macon? Atlanta even lost its hockey team recently plus it has a lot of empty condos and highrises that hasn't sold yet, so what;....... After failed attempts you learn and improve!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM

677 posts, read 960,979 times
This is a common problem....
Okay let me sum this up.
No Columbus Georgia is not all that awesome. Like he said it has no interstate acces downtown, or major interstate access in the outer city, 185 is just an auxilirary interstate highway, Columbus itself will never grow the way that macon is able to grow. Yes Columbus has a small mall and a small airport that will probably never get bigger because there is no need at all. Ft. Benning is the only great thing in the city. Without any east to west interstate connection Columbus isn't worth beig consolidated. If you don't know yet east to west interstates are even numbers and north to south interstates are odd numbers. Auxiliary interstates come from previous interstates, like 285 came from 85. Well anyway, I really hope that Columbus gets I-14 because it would make the city so much more.

Macon
Macon is right on 75 so basically they have the oppurtunity to become a big city. they have a hotel on the way and a centre center for addition to the coleseum district. If these plans come to work then Macon will be such a great city, on Augusta's level of progress. Also Macon getting I-14 will give them a good connection to their airport and Warner Robins. Macon will be better no matter what anyone says, and I'm speaking fact not opinion.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:46 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,978,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
Thats all your opinion buddy, Its obvious that there wiil be no ultimate winner here because everyone going to have a different view regardless what city it is; Same here, you made Bad comments about Macon but guess what, that doesn't mean that you are right and someone else may have a totally different view.... so if you think your post ruffed my feather think again buddy; even the great Atlanta have experienced some failed projects; what city hasn't so what excuses Macon? Atlanta even lost its hockey team recently plus it has a lot of empty condos and highrises that hasn't sold yet, so what;....... After failed attempts you learn and improve!!!
OK Bud, but your feathers are ruffled and that was not my intention, I was just pointing out the obvious.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,002,593 times
Quote:
OK Bud, but your feathers are ruffled and that was not my intention, I was just pointing out the obvious.
That guy is comical. Can't wait to see what he says next ROFL.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

It's not the obvious just your opinion, which everyone is entitle too.. But it doesn't mean that its true....

Last edited by NewtownMacon478; 12-15-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,223 times
Stop arguing about Macon and Columbus they both suck. I could careless about interstates. I've been to Macon it doesn't feel any better or worse than My ****ty town of Columbus. The only reason Columbus has no passing interstates is because it's south of I-85, but it must be a pretty important city if we have our own interstate to Atlanta I-185. Aflac is also another big business here in Columbus, and there are a few other places as well. Anyways just wanted to point some of that out even though Columbus sucks along with all the other cities in Georgia except Savannah and Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or