Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 PM

58 posts, read 388,544 times

Advertisements

Any ideas or opinions on where the most modern small town is in the N. GA mountains?

I'm talking about a place that perhaps has at least a section of the local population that realizes that the world dosen't stop at the county line and boasts many big city amenities combined with all the beauty and charm of a small town. Where you can get a Wi-Fi signal on your laptop in town a place or two, maybe grab a latte and find somewhere open for dinner until 10 PM (besides Waffle House!!) - oh yeah, and you might even be able to order a glass of wine or a drink with your dinner- but yet you can still work amid the beauty and splendor of the natural beauty of the Mountains and not have to fight Atlanta traffic..

Anyone got any ideas? I'd love to hear them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,502 times
Rome (home to about 35,000 people) sounds like the place you are looking for.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 23,049 times
Default Clayton Georgia

I am a native of Clayton, Georgia in Rabun County in the . This is truly one of the most beautiful natural areas of the state that you'll find. For more information about the area, please visit removed.

Clayton, the county seat, has a great little coffee shop called Grapes and Beans where they have wireless internet service. This area is also home to three lakes, and the Chattooga Wild and Scenic river.

There are many earth conscious, friendly, artistic, "hip" people that live in this area. You just have to know where to find them!

I own property there and try to make it up as often as possible. My family has lived in the area since the early 1800s.

[cut]

Last edited by Marka; 09-12-2006 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
Default Funny, I was wondering if Clayton would be mentioned...

Clayton is a great small town in the North Georgia mountians. It has a nice town center, and is centered in the middle of some great outdoors activities. You have the Chatooga River just to the east of Clayton for fishing, rafting, etc. You have Lake Burton to the West, which is a fairly large Georgia Power lake surrounded by multi-million dollar georgous houses. Then there's also Seed lake and Lake Rabun which also have some very nice communities. There is a Boy Scout camp and YMCA camp in the area; a vinyard that produces some great wines with a wine tasting room in Tiger. Highlands NC is about 20 miles to the North East (15 miles NE of Dillard). Lots of places to board and ride horses. Then there's the Bartram hiking trail that goes from just east of Clayton into North Carolina through some beautiful mountainous terrain. There's enough to do there so that you won't get board on a rainy day, but not "too much" to take away it's rural charm.

About the only thing I don't like about Clayton is that they are widening 441 to be a 4 lane road, and this will likely bring more development. I'd like it to stay exactly the way it is.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,879 times
Wink Rome

I would agree with Rome. You just about described it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia