Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state do you think Georgia is most like?
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say North Carolina 17 29.31%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say South Carolina 5 8.62%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Tennessee 1 1.72%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Alabama 0 0%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Florida 1 1.72%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say South Carolina 6 10.34%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say South Carolina 1 1.72%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Tennessee 1 1.72%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say North Carolina 1 1.72%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say South Carolina 3 5.17%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say North Carolina 2 3.45%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Florida 1 1.72%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say North Carolina 4 6.90%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say South Carolina 2 3.45%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:42 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times

Advertisements

GA is a very diverse state, so the question is impossible to answer. Coastal GA is more similar to coastal SC. North GA is more similar to NC and TN. SW GA is more similar to SE Alabama and NW Florida. West GA is more similar to East Alabama. Atlanta metro is most similar to metro Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM

34 posts, read 33,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Hard to tell, really.

South Carolina: shares the same coastal culture. Both states have coastlines made up of barrier islands with salt marshes and have mid sized fall line cities.

North Carolina: has pretty much the same population as Georgia, but more evenly distributed. Also has similar topography with mountains, piedmont and coastal plain.

Florida: Pretty much no relation to central/south Florida AT ALL. However, southern Georgia shares quite a bit of culture with northern Florida.

Alabama: Some similarities to southern Georgia, but that's pretty much it. It has almost the same land area as Georgia, but less than half the population. Birmingham is no Atlanta.

Tennessee: East Tennessee shares some characteristics with northern Georgia, but that's pretty much it. It would be interesting to see if Nashville can become a second Atlanta in the future, though.
Rather good summation, sir or ma'am.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 6,998 times
If i were to chime in on this, I would say Alabama for two reasons...

In my experience since I moved to Atlanta, I have noticed just purely off observation; GA seems more affiliated with Alabama culturally and sports wise than the other states.

Georgia seems to have a lot of transplants from Alabama. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but it seems that 1-5 people I meet are from Alabama originally. I imagine a lot of that has to do with the city of Atlanta being closer to Alabama than NC or S.C.

Second thing I've noticed is when you go into sports stores in the Atlanta area, The majority of what you see are Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Alabama team apparels. I imagine this affiliation with Alabama and Georgia has to do with the rivalry from their competition in the SEC Football games. But that competition also seems to influence a lot of cultural similarities between the states. (if I'm not mistaken I believe Alabama actually recruits a lot of its players from Georgia).

But If i had to use an analogy, I would say that Alabama (the state) seems more like Georgia's brother (perhaps younger brother) while South Carolina is Georgia's 1st cousin and North Carolina being its closest friend. To me the similarities between the states from a cultural standpoint seem to be that close.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlacck View Post
Georgia seems to have a lot of transplants from Alabama. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but it seems that 1-5 people I meet are from Alabama originally. I imagine a lot of that has to do with the city of Atlanta being closer to Alabama than NC or S.C.
That, and the Carolinas have more booming cities that are viable options to relocate to (e.g., Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, etc.). The closest Alabama has is Huntsville and it's no Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, etc.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM

370 posts, read 325,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Completely agree, and I've said as much on this forum elsewhere.

and GA has border cities that exert a lot of influence across the state line (Augusta and Savannah)....
You'd be surprised how little to no influence Savannah exerts over the border into Jasper County, SC. In fact, despite being a bordering county, Jasper Co is not part of the Savannah metro.

Hilton Head-Bluffton-Beaufort are large enough so that what happens in Savannah has little to no impact on neighboring SC counties.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
You'd be surprised how little to no influence Savannah exerts over the border into Jasper County, SC. In fact, despite being a bordering county, Jasper Co is not part of the Savannah metro.

Hilton Head-Bluffton-Beaufort are large enough so that what happens in Savannah has little to no impact on neighboring SC counties.
Maybe I shouldn't have said a lot, but they do exert influence. I agree that Hilton Head/Beaufort is pretty much its own thing (and geography has as much to do with it as size) but for "city" amenities, they head to Savannah.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,158,462 times
It's Alabama.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post

When people in Jasper and Beaufort counties turn on the TV news, they watch Savannah stations. When they want to go shopping beyond an outlet mall or Belk, they drive to Savannah. When they need trauma care or specialized medical treatment, they go to one of the three major hospitals in Savannah. When they want to catch a direct flight on 7 airlines to 25 destinations in the US or Canada, they use SAV.

Lots of folks who live in Jasper and Beaufort counties work in Savannah, and vice versa. That the OMB doesn't yet recognize it officiallly as one CSA means nothing to the 750,000 people who live across the two regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia