U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state do you think Georgia is most like?
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say North Carolina 17 29.31%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say South Carolina 5 8.62%
I'm from metro Atlanta, and I say Tennessee 1 1.72%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Alabama 0 0%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Florida 1 1.72%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say South Carolina 6 10.34%
I'm from coastal Georgia, and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say South Carolina 1 1.72%
I'm from the (Blue Ridge) Mountains, and I say Tennessee 1 1.72%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from the Ridge & Valley (NW Georgia), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say North Carolina 1 1.72%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say South Carolina 3 5.17%
I'm from West Georgia (Carrollton to Columbus), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Alabama 1 1.72%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say North Carolina 2 3.45%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from Middle Georgia (Forsyth/Macon/Warner Robins), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Florida 1 1.72%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say North Carolina 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say South Carolina 0 0%
I'm from non-coastal South Georgia, and I say Tennessee 0 0%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Alabama 3 5.17%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Florida 0 0%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say North Carolina 4 6.90%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say South Carolina 2 3.45%
I'm from east Georgia (Athens to Statesboro), and I say Tennessee 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:25 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,570,624 times

Advertisements

What neighboring state do you feel most resembles Georgia, or the Georgia that you know in your daily lives?

Vote in the Poll. Indicate your region and the neighboring state you prefer.

Please: Georgians Only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM

120 posts, read 184,987 times
You dont have the option I would have chosen which is all. Tennessee resembles N.Georgia , SC resembles Coastal and E.Georgia, Florida resembles Coastal and South Georgia , Bama resembles Central and W.Georgia and NC mountain areas resemble extreme NE Georgia so I would say all.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM

9,844 posts, read 20,091,196 times
I live about two miles from ___ and it looks pretty much the same as here.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,261,198 times
Originally from Coastal Georgia and voted for South Carolina. Mainly due to topography of both states and their similarities. As for economically, Atlanta is the big dog for Georgia which makes the difference. It has been said before, but if Atlanta didn't exist in Georgia, the city populations of each state would probably be similar as well. The same could be said when comparing Georgia and Alabama.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:32 PM

448 posts, read 816,270 times
Being a GA native, originally from South Georgia, but having lived in Metro Atlanta for the last 25 years, I'd say that Georgia is probably the most similar overall to North Carolina both in topography and in culture, when we're talking entire states.

Broken down by parts:

The Ridge and Valley area of NW GA are very similar with NE AL, and the portion of TN surrounding Chattanooga.

NE GA similar to East Tennessee, Western NC, Western VA

Metro Atlanta and the GA Piedmont, including Augusta, similar to the Piedmont of Upstate SC, NC Piedmont, and the Piedmont areas into the Northern VA suburbs of DC.

Coastal GA, including Savannah, similar to both the NE Florida coast, including Jacksonville, and the SC Low-country, including Charleston

Non-Coastal SE GA, South Central GA, and SW GA similar to the North Central Florida Peninsula and parts of the Big Bend/Gulf Coast areas of FL.

West Central GA from just west of Macon over to Columbus and La Grange similar to East Central Alabama.

Central GA including Macon, East Central GA, but excluding both Augusta and Savannah, similar to the portion of SC north of the Low-country and south of the SC Piedmont and Pee-Dee regions.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 PM

876 posts, read 1,938,492 times
Interesting poll.I don't fit most of those categories completely, and there are some areas of the South I don't know all that well.

I would say GA is most similar to Alabama and South Carolina.

I say so because of topography, culture of the people, linguistic regionalism, history and so on. SC and AL are like the rest of Georgia (each state is without a large metro such as Atlanta).

Other states like TN, NC and FL just get a bit too different in my first-hand experience and opinion.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 PM

29,735 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Interesting poll.I don't fit most of those categories completely, and there are some areas of the South I don't know all that well.

I would say GA is most similar to Alabama and South Carolina.

I say so because of topography, culture of the people, linguistic regionalism, history and so on. SC and AL are like the rest of Georgia (each state is without a large metro such as Atlanta).
Completely agree, and I've said as much on this forum elsewhere.

It's hard to choose between GA being most similar to AL or my native SC, but if pressed, I think I might have to go with SC. GA and SC are more similar topographically and GA has border cities that exert a lot of influence across the state line (Augusta and Savannah); as a matter of fact, I think the closest thing to a twin that Augusta and Savannah have are Columbia and Charleston, respectively. Both have military installations in their Sandhills regions which cross the middles of each state. The capitals are also the largest cities, both share the distinct Gullah/Geechee culture, and the two college football rivals are a SEC team (UGA, USC) and an ACC team (GT, Clemson).

I'm probably biased because I'm a native SC'er and know more about it in general than AL, but I'm sure someone could give compelling reasons that would put AL at the top also. But I think the differences between the similarities (if that makes sense) are more superficial and negligible as all three are quite similar in several ways, even with Atlanta as an outlier.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 PM

7,278 posts, read 10,026,718 times
Overall, I voted for NC because it is almost equally divided between mountain, piedmont and coastal plain like GA, the main contrast is the divisions run west to east in NC compared to north to south in GA. No other state has the same mix in similar proportions. Population wise the two are similar as well. If Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh and Durham were lumped into one, would mirror Atlanta metro.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 PM

29,735 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Overall, I voted for NC because it is almost equally divided between mountain, piedmont and coastal plain like GA, the main contrast is the divisions run west to east in NC compared to north to south in GA. No other state has the same mix in similar proportions. Population wise the two are similar as well. If Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro, Raleigh and Durham were lumped into one, would mirror Atlanta metro.
The "if" part to me is one reason why I didn't vote NC. It's a pretty stark contrast in NC having its major population centers more evenly distributed across the state. I also find the political climates between NC and GA to be less similar than with SC and AL. College football is a mere footnote in NC (in contrast to other Southeastern states); the state doesn't even have any SEC schools. I'm not saying similarities don't exist between the two because they do, but outside of overall population, I find more similarities between GA and AL/SC.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM

7,278 posts, read 10,026,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "if" part to me is one reason why I didn't vote NC. It's a pretty stark contrast in NC having its major population centers more evenly distributed across the state. I also find the political climates between NC and GA to be less similar than with SC and AL. College football is a mere footnote in NC (in contrast to other Southeastern states); the state doesn't even have any SEC schools. I'm not saying similarities don't exist between the two because they do, but outside of overall population, I find more similarities between GA and AL/SC.
Both states have had similar growth, in same type of industries from transplants outside the region. Raleigh Durham and Charlotte rival Atlanta in growth, Atlanta is just larger. Combine those two and it is very similar to Atlanta. Both states have professional sports. Both grew to where they are on agricultural and industrialized around textiles. Can't say the same about AL or SC. Not having large metro areas, even tho NC's are divvied up moreso than Atlanta makes the two states far more similar. Nothing to compare there either in SC or AL. In this regard, GA is more like TN than those two.

Florida is a whole other piece of pie, the odd one out, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or