Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 26,519 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to move from a Dallas suburb to a smaller town in another state. Both have lived in Texas our entire lives and want a change of scenery. We have children very active in sports. We would like a town that has a great high school football program. I know I am very interested in VA,NC,SC areas, as well as Alabama and Georgia. I would love a town that is small, rich in history, and very family friendly- festivals, celebrations, etc. I also want the small hometown feel- tree lined streets, craftsman style homes with large front porches. I am bored with the flat lands of Texas, so I would love some scenery- woods, lakes, waterfalls. I would appreciate any help with specific towns that I should look at. If you gave any specifics on their schools, High school sports, housing costs, cost of living and job markets that would also be great. My husband is in the land surveying field but open to other work as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 02:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
I see you got loads of replies. You left out what I consider some key data on your situation such as age of children. Finding work anywhere is hard but harder in smaller communities where not being known can make it tougher. In small towns, being a part of a church can be very important. If you are moving into a small town and want to crack open the athletic teams, that can be difficult as well unless your kid is a star athlete.

With that said, I like these towns in GA and by no means is that exhaustive. Thomasville, Valdosta, St. Simons Island, Douglas in South Georgia. In northern Georgia, Peachtree City, Suwannee are two that come to mind. Let me add Perry in Central GA. Many people are fond of Clayton in far North GA.

In SC I like very much Greenville. More opportunities for work and a nice downtown. Good prices on real estate. Airport of a decent size.

In NC I like New Bern. But NC can get some ferocious storms off the Atlantic.

I have lived in north and south GA and prefer South Ga myself. I got weary of the mountains which are wonderful to visit but for me became claustrophobic. But again, in small communities, you have to break into the social scene to some degree.

My 2 cents so far.

Last edited by Ollie1946; 01-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Cities with highschools, Thomasville Georgia, then you have perry, which has a state fair every year, But most of all, Eatonton. this is a city that sits right on Lake Oconee,very fun,nice people, nice lake homes, just 50 miles from atlanta, but it is peaceful, Now when you say waterfall, I see north Georgia mountain cities,the ones on the lake such s gainesville are big cities, So I'd say you look up Blairsville, Helen, TACOAA, < the best, and other Mountaincities will have plenty of lakes and falls, Tacoaa has tacoaa falls, and clarkesville has Tallulah falls Gorge...

Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
I would absolutely recommend having a look at the towns of Madison and Washington. They are both east of Atlanta, easy access to I-20, LOADED with history and a sense of community, and have beautiful homes.

Other towns that are similar, but not nearly as nice, would include, Social Circle, Greensboro, and Eatonton. If you're looking for something a little closer to major amenities, but still far enough removed from them that they're not omnipresent, look into Watkinsville.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I would absolutely recommend having a look at the towns of Madison and Washington. They are both east of Atlanta, easy access to I-20, LOADED with history and a sense of community, and have beautiful homes.

Other towns that are similar, but not nearly as nice, would include, Social Circle, Greensboro, and Eatonton. If you're looking for something a little closer to major amenities, but still far enough removed from them that they're not omnipresent, look into Watkinsville.
When I said Eatoton I mean the outskirts, such as lake Oconee, Very nice, also they buit a Ritz Carrolton lake hotel... Money

Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
LaGrange, GA and Carrollton, GA are rich in high school sports and have great heritages and history, are both college towns and not far from Atlanta but far enough to not feel like suburbs. Also, would recommend Cartersville and Calhoun, prosperous areas to the northwest, but with excellent schools and sports traditions. My recommendations.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
reviving this thread with a question about Eatonton and the snakes
If I find a home right near the lake, would I need to carry a gun with me at all times to kill snakes?? Would one expect to find the rattler and water mocassins on a daily basis.............ya think??

Old 09-28-2013, 06:21 AM

744 posts, read 2,481,397 times
Since this is an older post , I think you would get more input from those in the area by starting a new one .

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
reviving this thread with a question about Eatonton and the snakes
If I find a home right near the lake, would I need to carry a gun with me at all times to kill snakes?? Would one expect to find the rattler and water mocassins on a daily basis.............ya think??
Snakes are everywhere. Friend recently had one inside her house. I would not worry about snakes near the water anymore than any other area. I would not be walking around at night without a good flashlight. And look before you reach for something on the ground. Few snakebites in GA but they do occur. One hunter died from rattlesnake bite and another person, granddaughter of a friend, was hit by a Copperhead. She is fine.

Now, ask about the hundreds of people who die on GA roads due to texting, drunk, speeding or just teens out having a good time. I'm sure you get the point.

Best to you.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Snakes are everywhere. Friend recently had one inside her house. I would not worry about snakes near the water anymore than any other area. I would not be walking around at night without a good flashlight. And look before you reach for something on the ground. Few snakebites in GA but they do occur. One hunter died from rattlesnake bite and another person, granddaughter of a friend, was hit by a Copperhead. She is fine.

Now, ask about the hundreds of people who die on GA roads due to texting, drunk, speeding or just teens out having a good time. I'm sure you get the point.

Best to you.

true Ollie!! and thank you!! living here in the Portland,Oregon area the last 5 years I haven't so much as seen or heard a frog, no lizards so certainly have not seen a snake. Meanwhile my nephew was driving and texting,ran off the road,was thrown through the windshield and is now paralyzed from the waist now.

I'll be careful but am certainly looking forward to having a lake view!! Ready for some southern hospitality too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia