U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,600,962 times

Advertisements

Be happy I moved from the metro Atlanta area. I moved away from all metro areas to be honest. But I always considered a change in direction to be a yeild like situation. And I always gave the left turner a ever so slight pass. To me, from a safety perspective, the left turner is in the most "unsafe" location. He has full speed non turning vehicles coming from behind him and coming at him. The right turner has slowed considerably to make the right turn any ways. The bulk of all the accidents I have ever witnessed seemed to involve a left turner. I would assume that is because of the speed difference in adjacent vehicles. The two exceptions would be the keep moving lane and the hard green right turn arrow. I consider the slight bit of time I may be losing by yeilding when I need not my contribution to lower insurance rates for all. Honk all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 128 times
I was glad to see that Georgia is considering reducing the number of yield signs due to over use but I have seen no impact so far in Gwinnett County. These signs are dangerous and do nothing but create confusion and uncertainty which is the last thing you want on the roadways around the Atlanta Metro.

This issue of right turns yielding to left turns is inherently problematic.

The first problem with this and the accompanying signs is that it all goes against the first and most important rule of right of way as stated in the law in GA, which is that, Left turning vehicles must yield to all oncoming traffic, including those vehicles approaching from the opposite direction in a right turn lane.

The second problem is that they are applied haphazardly and over used. I pass through tons of intersections daily and some have them and some don't and there is no consistency, raised median, no raised median, who knows what the standards are here.

And finally and most importantly these signs create confusion and I see it daily. Basically you have left turn drivers approaching the intersection and they can't see if there is a yield sign for right turn drivers so when they are approaching the intersection with a green light, they are in a situation where they don't know who has the right of way, right turn or left. This creates confusion and uncertainty which is the last thing you want with right away. Some left turning drivers just assume they have the right of way and barrel ahead regardless of the situation and others will sit and wait for right turning drivers who have yield signs. Make no sense and is dangerous. Would love to see the accident statistics on this.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:22 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,009,521 times
The gist is: you are now in a special deceleration lane moving to the right instead of traveling through the actual intersection. The special deceleration ( right turn) lane is traffic-controlled NOT BY THE TRAFFIC LIGHT, but by the yield sign.

If you do not like the rules of the deceleration lane, travel to the actual intersection with your turn signal on, make the 90-degree turn, and you do not have to yield. And you should not be ticketed, since you have obeyed all traffic laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or