U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM

225 posts, read 198,828 times

Advertisements

The intersection of Shallowford Road and Peachford Road in Dunwoody is a three-way "T" intersection. There's a yield sign for those driving north on Shallowford and turning right on Peachford, even though there is no cross traffic, and the only other people entering the intersection are those driving south on Shallowford and turning left onto Peachford. It was always confusion central when two cars were driving opposite directions on Shallowford, and both trying to turn onto Peachford at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,606,599 times
Huh, I didn't realize this was confusing. Its kind of entertaining to go back and read these reponses.

The sign says Yeild, that means you yeild to oncoming traffic, very simple. I always thought the system worked really well and promotes good traffic flow. It gives people making a left turn from the other direction priority to get out of the way and let traffic keep moving. Right hand turns are much less impactful on traffic flow in Georgia since we tend to have right hand turn lanes. I have found that other states generally don't have as many right hand turn lanes as we do, lucky us.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM

5,121 posts, read 3,649,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Huh, I didn't realize this was confusing. Its kind of entertaining to go back and read these reponses.

The sign says Yeild, that means you yeild to oncoming traffic, very simple. I always thought the system worked really well and promotes good traffic flow. It gives people making a left turn from the other direction priority to get out of the way and let traffic keep moving. Right hand turns are much less impactful on traffic flow in Georgia since we tend to have right hand turn lanes. I have found that other states generally don't have as many right hand turn lanes as we do, lucky us.

It's because there is no consistency and because that intermittent yield sign is rarely visible to the person making a left turn so you typically get into a situation where both cars sit waiting for the other to make a move, which is both dangerous and inefficient. Like I said, make the law consistent so there's no confusion. Either the person making the left turn has right of way or the person making the right turn has right of way, period. Plus, now all those silly "Yield" signs can be taken down and thrown away.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM

113 posts, read 148,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I agree. It takes a lot less for a right turning driver to make note of a potential conflict with a left turning car than for that same left turning car to pay attention to oncoming thru traffic and slower right turning traffic. In the case of the right turning driver, you (should) have to slow down anyways.

This might be wrong, but I feel as though the prescense of a yield sign also gives the right to turn on red without a complete stop. I've seen a lot of people almost get rear ended when they stop abruptly before turning right, but there was a yield sign and no traffic in conflict.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM

29,139 posts, read 26,087,769 times
People should be mindful and courteous to pedestrians and other drivers under any circumstances, instead of always pushing for the maximum advantage. That's just basic defensive driving.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:45 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
I agree. It takes a lot less for a right turning driver to make note of a potential conflict with a left turning car than for that same left turning car to pay attention to oncoming thru traffic and slower right turning traffic. In the case of the right turning driver, you (should) have to slow down anyways.

This might be wrong, but I feel as though the prescense of a yield sign also gives the right to turn on red without a complete stop. I've seen a lot of people almost get rear ended when they stop abruptly before turning right, but there was a yield sign and no traffic in conflict.
more often then not, on the right turn with the yield sign, there is no "stop" line crossing the lane. Sometimes a crosswalk, but the stop line is not there.

Here is an example. Law says you have to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, and there is one of those. Law says to stop at or before the stop line, not one there.
can someone tell me if yielding when turning right is the law here???-no-stop-line.jpg

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM

6,536 posts, read 7,613,542 times
While I'm sure this is well-intended, I'm a bit alarmed by parts of this opinion and must urge more caution with defensive driving.

Quote:
I agree. It takes a lot less for a right turning driver to make note of a potential conflict with a left turning car than for that same left turning car to pay attention to oncoming thru traffic and slower right turning traffic.
No, both the left turner and the right turner are viewing on-coming traffic directly in front of them and both have a full field of view of each other in the intersection. If a left-turning car does not have a green arrow they should not consider turning, unless they can 100% make note of the potential conflicts. Period.

If they have a green turn arrow the right turning car does not have a green light, but a red light w/ a yield.

In some instances where a concrete barrier exist for the right turn lane, the right turner will actually have to look backwards to check for traffic turning left, however this is also why I previously asked if the concrete barriers create a different intersection, in a legal sense. Also, why the right turner should be extra cautious.

Quote:
In the case of the right turning driver, you (should) have to slow down anyways.
I'm further confused by this. Both should have to slow down a good bit and if yielding be prepared to stop, especially a left turning car w/o an arrow and on-coming traffic (including right turning cars) are present. If this is not the case, then people aren't slowing down enough when they are suppose to yield.

Quote:

Just to be clear; That is not the fault of the car turning right. A car should be able to make a stop an intersection, whether by confusion or not, when yielding in case they notice something at the last moment. That car behind them shouldn't have a full field of view of the intersection and should already be prepared to stop, regardless of what the car in front of them does.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I have no idea why they do that around here. I wish they would take those signs down.
Careful what you wish for. There is an intersection that I com across every day where there used to be a yield sign for the right turn only lane that has been taken down. The problem now is that all the "regulars" turning left still think that the sign is there so they go ahead and turn ... but so do the people turning right ... CRASH!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM
bu2

9,847 posts, read 6,334,269 times
I had to laugh seeing this. I see lots of people going left acting as if they have right of way here. Probably because so many drivers here are so polite, they assume people will give up their priority.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:10 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,792,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I had to laugh seeing this. I see lots of people going left acting as if they have right of way here. Probably because so many drivers here are so polite, they assume people will give up their priority.
I had to bail out after the first two or three posts so I am sure I missed a lot. Let me get this straight, the person is at a yield sigh with oncoming that has a green light and thinks they can just turn willy nilly and expect every other diver to accommodate them. It's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard regarding driving, and I have heard a lot of crazy talk.

Nobody else has something to do that makes their time just as important or vital as yours? If you see a red lot, stop. When there is an opportunity to make a right on a red then do it. If it isn't safe then stay in your lane and wait for it.

This is just outright stupidness and callous behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or