Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:58 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Just so that we all may be clear: A 'Yield' sign on a right turn lane does NOT mean that you must always stop when making a right turn.

A 'Yield' sign on a right turn lane just simply means that you are supposed to yield to any oncoming traffic that may be in the intersection while you are making your right turn.

A 'Yield' sign on a right turn lane basically means that you can proceed to make your right turn as long as there is no traffic coming, and that you only have to stop if traffic is coming.

Also, just to clear up any confusion that goes back to the original post on the thread, one is permitted to make a right turn on red in Georgia as long as they first come to a complete stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 01:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
They do if the people turning right have a yield sign or a right turn lane separated with an island. I’ve seen plenty of right turn drivers, and have almost collided with them, who think the yield sign means “I have right of way”.

People I tell you...learning how to drive 101 teaches you that if you have the yield sign, you must yield to on coming traffic. Should you decide to turn because you are selfish and feel because you are nearer to your turn and another car is already turning, I'll turn anyway, you will be given the ticket.

I don't know why people think that a yield sign equals "I have the right of way."

Old 11-23-2018, 04:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The bolded part is incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
How I basically see it is if there is a yield sign and I would like to turn right, should I see a car turning left onto the street where I want to turn right, I must yield to this driver. Actually this includes traffic from any direction.

If there isn't a yield sign, you should have the right of way. Some drivers yield anyway just to be safe depending on the street but they don't have to.
Quote:
People I tell you...learning how to drive 101 teaches you that if you have the yield sign, you must yield to on coming traffic. Should you decide to turn because you are selfish and feel because you are nearer to your turn and another car is already turning, I'll turn anyway, you will be given the ticket.

I don't know why people think that a yield sign equals "I have the right of way."
I think you misunderstood my post. If the person turning right has a yield sign, then the person turning left has the right of way. That is what I said, and what you said. Although, you said if there isn't a yield sign, then you have ROW turning right. This is true in normal lanes. if the right turn lane is island-separated (even paint island), then the right-turner should yield. In this case, there should always be a yield sign there anyway. If there's not, it's probably not a correctly designed intersection.

Take this intersection, Moore's Mill and I-75. Left-turners going eastbound have a green arrow phase onto I-75 South, while right-turners going westbound have yield sign in an island-separated lane. There is no way for the right-turner to know whether the left-turner has an arrow or not. If the right-turner had ROW, it could cause serious issues. The right-turner on a yielded or separated lane does not have ROW over the left-turner.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. If the person turning right has a yield sign, then the person turning left has the right of way. That is what I said, and what you said. Although, you said if there isn't a yield sign, then you have ROW turning right. This is true in normal lanes. if the right turn lane is island-separated (even paint island), then the right-turner should yield. In this case, there should always be a yield sign there anyway. If there's not, it's probably not a correctly designed intersection.

Take this intersection, Moore's Mill and I-75. Left-turners going eastbound have a green arrow phase onto I-75 South, while right-turners going westbound have yield sign in an island-separated lane. There is no way for the right-turner to know whether the left-turner has an arrow or not. If the right-turner had ROW, it could cause serious issues. The right-turner on a yielded or separated lane does not have ROW over the left-turner.

Actually I believe I was agreeing with you. I was probably trying to add to what you said.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:

I didn't misunderstand. You were and are still incorrect on the part I emboldened.

The law governing the left turn on a green light (not green turn arrow; assuming both ways have a solid green light) is that they must yield to all on-coming traffic. The left turning car has an actual yield written in law. That doesn't disappear.

A channelized right turn lane with a raised median changes things by making it a separate intersection, so we have common ground there. However, the mere placement of a yield sign without one doesn't change the dynamic for the yield of left-turning cars. This is in large part the problem presented years ago in this thread and by the GDOT document I linked.

Otherwise the presence of a yield sign or not on the opposing direction's right turn has no bearing on the law that says a left turn on a solid green must yield to all oncoming traffic.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
If there isn't a yield sign, you should have the right of way. Some drivers yield anyway just to be safe depending on the street but they don't have to.
Only if you have a green light. If your light is red then you are performing a "right turn on red" and must yield to traffic on the cross-street.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Only if you have a green light. If your light is red then you are performing a "right turn on red" and must yield to traffic on the cross-street.

I think I see what you're saying. I wasn't thinking about that kind of intersection when I wrote that. Yes, you are right...we do not have the right of way if the light is red. There is usually a sign that says if the light is red, we must come to a full stop. We then check to see if cars are coming and if not, we can turn right.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I didn't misunderstand. You were and are still incorrect on the part I emboldened.

The law governing the left turn on a green light (not green turn arrow; assuming both ways have a solid green light) is that they must yield to all on-coming traffic. The left turning car has an actual yield written in law. That doesn't disappear.

A channelized right turn lane with a raised median changes things by making it a separate intersection, so we have common ground there. However, the mere placement of a yield sign without one doesn't change the dynamic for the yield of left-turning cars. This is in large part the problem presented years ago in this thread and by the GDOT document I linked.

Otherwise the presence of a yield sign or not on the opposing direction's right turn has no bearing on the law that says a left turn on a solid green must yield to all oncoming traffic.
I guess i should have only brought up island-separated right-turn lanes, which was the main part of my point. Is it normal for standard lanes to even have yield signs? The point remains that many drivers think that even with a yield sign on a separated right-turn lane, they still have ROW over left-turners. The number of people who honked at me and flipped me off during my daily commute up in Norcross at this intersection are proof.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Is this the sort of thing we're all arguing about? This is over where we used to live. There's always been a yield sign for traffic on FFT NB turning right onto Moon Place. 9 times out of 10, the person turning right always yielded to the person turning left from FFT SB. Now on the other side, there is no yield sign for people turning right from FFT SB onto Moon Place (although that section is just a subdivision with barely any traffic.

Also a yield here. but in both situations, there is a separate turn lane. It's not like this intersection. I don't think I've ever seen a yield sign in a situation like that with no right turn lane.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Is this the sort of thing we're all arguing about? This is over where we used to live. There's always been a yield sign for traffic on FFT NB turning right onto Moon Place. 9 times out of 10, the person turning right always yielded to the person turning left from FFT SB. Now on the other side, there is no yield sign for people turning right from FFT SB onto Moon Place (although that section is just a subdivision with barely any traffic.

Also a yield here. but in both situations, there is a separate turn lane. It's not like this intersection. I don't think I've ever seen a yield sign in a situation like that with no right turn lane.
Yes. In the locations you linked, the lanes with yield signs were separated by an island, although not a physical one. This turns that lane into a separate lane not controlled by the traffic signal, and thus last priority in right-of-way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia