Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am a single women of color mother with a 13 year old son. I am planning to relocate to Georgia to buy an affordable house. I currenty live in California and if you know anything about Cali, you can't afford a home by yourself.

I am still however undecided about the county or city to move into. I am a teacher and I will be using the (TND)Teacher Next Door program to buy my house. These houses are described by the term Revitilized Areas, which simply means high foreclosure and low income areas.

I need the help of any willing and able to give their honest best wishes about a safe, clean, wholesome area to move to. Keeping in mind a good high school for my son and a safe area for a single women to go home to each night.

I have been told through a real estate agent in Cali that Fulton, Cobb, Decatur and Henry counties are desirable right now. As well as Marietta, Lithonia, College Park, Alpharetta and McDonough cities are very desirable areas right now as well. How true is that and if so does anyone know the going rate of the prices in these areas? If you have any other suggestions please tell me. Thanks and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 09:24 PM

23 posts, read 182,573 times
Hi relocating
Have you heard of the community loan? It's a loan product for teachers, police and fire personnel, and such. There is also a loan product called the zip code loan.
Just pm me if I may offer you anymore information.
In your post, you stated a good school for your son is very important. The concern about purchasing a home in a revitilizing area is the schools are probably not the best. I've lived in Alpharetta for 8 years. There are great schools here. There are also good schools in some other areas, like East Cobb.
Good luck with your move,
Michele

Old 09-15-2006, 08:09 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,890 times
Hi moving mom~

Coming from Cali (I'm also a Cali native) I think you'll fit right in, especially in the areas that you're interested in. We're also a family of color and we're looking into Lithonia, Stone Mountain and some other middle/upper middle class areas where we can acclimate and assimilate with relative peace of mind.

I have to fly to the ATL this weekend, and will report back early next week.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,890 times
Movingmom~

Sorry it took so long to follow up. Although I didn't have much time to visit, I did make a trip to Lithonia. From what I've gathered, it's very affordable (probably more than most areas), there's easy access to almost all shopping, and the crime is low. We may seriously consider it.

One thing I did notice though, is that the high school graduation rate is lower than I'm comfortable with, and the college graduate rate is much lower than other areas. At the same time, people tend to keep up their homes and yards, so it might not be a big deal. I could just be being a snob.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,337 times
Default Re: Relocating

Hello Moving...

I have to agree with Michele's comment. You want to be mindfull that one of the drawbacks of moving to a "revitalization" area is that the schools may not be the best.
But not to fear, one thing you will be happy to here is, this is definitely a place that a single woman/mom can purchase and affordable home!!!! I relocated here from New York, so trust, me...I know exactly how you feel.
The cities and counties that you friend mentioned range from all points N, S, E & w.
However, I lived in Alpharetta for 2 yrs. Although I have no complaints about the neighborhood or the schools, I will let you know that it can be a bit pricey though.
I currently reside in Cobb County, and it as well has some very good schools (depending on the area,as Cobb County is Huge!). Feel free to PM me it you need specific info.
Best of luck with your move!

Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,429 times
Before you move, do your homework (no pun intended). All is not what is seems to be in the South. especially with a 13 yr old son who will soon be in high school, make sure you end up in a good school district. Be careful with any home program that will have up in a "revitalized" neighborhood. Read between the lines, it's a ghetto. You should come and visit and plan to stay for a few weeks before making any permanent moves. You should visit during your son's summer vacation. Don't say i didn't warn you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia