Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM

117 posts, read 507,302 times

Advertisements

Albany, GA has a lot of potential, and it saddens me that the city leaders will not attempt to capitalize on it, instead they wish to engange in personal politics over fighting consolidation, punishing the state representative who supported the consolidation bill in the legislature by removing her from her board position on the Albany Water Gas and Light Board, and dealing with their own political agendas. The City of Albany has had a long term crime problem that has been allowed to flourish for years and an ever growing gang problem that just recently erupted in violence a month or so ago with gang related shootings near the center of Albany. Crime just in the past few weeks has skyrocketed, with armed robberies of businesses almost occuring daily, (we have had the same businesses robbed 3 or 4 times just in the past 2 or 3 months!!) armed home invasions are occuring almost daily, and just this week a 88 year old woman was burtally murdered beat to death in her own back yard by a crack addict and street junkie black woman.

Albany has a very bad reputation not just across the South GA region but the entire state. In any list you will notice Albany is placed in the WORST cities in GA to live in. To address the gang problem, the former police chief and city manager Alfred Lott helped bring in a gang 'expert' a very controversal one at that, to educate the citys gang unit and police on combating gang violence. Former DeKalb CEO and failed GA Senatorial canidate Vernon Jones came and talked about the overwelming sucess of "his" anti-gang enitives in DeKalb County. (if that isnt enough of a joke).

We now have a new police chief..... former Tallahassee Deputy Chief John Proctor who was repremanded for his role in the death of a drug informant who was brutally murdered by drug dealers after the TPD "forgot" about her. Keep in mind this didn't circulate Albany's news media until AFTER Proctor was hired and signed his close to 96,000 dollar a year salary INCLUDING $6,000 moving expenses.

Other than our issues with "controversial" city goverment officials, Albany could possibly be a better place, especially if they would clean up downtown of drug addicts and thugs... so people could maybe actually feel safe going downtown. I seriously doubt Albany will change, not as long as we keep the current City Manager Lott, who I see has done NOTHING for the city, but oversee the "development" of new government facilities in downtown Albany that they claim is the "revitilization" of downtown Albany. . of course at the taxpayers expense.

All their actions have led to the decline in population mostly the middle and upper classes of Albany and Dougherty County to neighboring Lee County. This is a loss to Albany leaving only the Northwest section of Albany relatively safe and prosperous and leading to the big development of South Lee County. This led to downtown to be deserted. Businesses are following suit of the middle and upper class of taxpayers and are heading to Lee County just like Wal-mart did!

Last edited by Dart03; 05-07-2009 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 04:47 AM

4 posts, read 11,113 times
blromious,
Thank you for your support of Albany. It'll be my new hometown in just about a month. Two Sundays ago I spent too much time on message boards about Albany and came away depressed! You and Piney woods Mark are a breath of fresh air.
In friendship,
Quagmyr

Old 10-05-2009, 04:39 AM

4 posts, read 11,113 times
ReadyRon,
How's your progress. We're in the same boat. My move to Albany happens in about a week. I spent four days there, found an apartment and just looked around. Compared to 37 years living in a major metropolitan, culturally diverse, area Albany looks like a step into rural America. So how often do I go to all the events I could. Hmm, I get up and go to work like most people and rarely take in what a metropolitan area has to offer. How happy I am is defined by the quality of people I meet. Let me know if you're still considering Albany as your next home town.
Quagmyr

Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,412 times
Unfortunately, the crime rate is so high that it isn't safe for a single female to do anything by herself. I have been warned NUMEROUS times by locals and law enforcement to not go anywhere at night by myself. The best thing about Albany happens to be the roads that lead out of here!!!! Been here a year and it is not the place for a single female to live with no family and/or friends. People are not friendly. Southern hospitality is a facade!!! I've had people from other parts of Georgia tell me "Don't form your opinion of the state based upon your experiences here in Albany." You've heard of the armpit of the South??? Well, I'm thinking Albany is the ***** of the South.....give me directions to the armpit and I'm on my way!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:04 PM

199 posts, read 627,704 times
lots of the time you get out of something what you put into it. i do not think you will be happy anywhere!!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,033 times
I live in Albany, have been a single female in Albany. No problems. If you are looking for major entertainment all the time, you will be unhappy. But there are folks here that do a good job of offering entertainment. Many weekends there are too many choices - Not Atlanta or NYC level, naturally, but some fun offerings to do something different. It is what you put into it. Crime? Yes, but have you ever turned on the local news of a city your are visiting? Guess what? Crime happens everywhere. There are slums here and there are beautiful neighborhoods. Hope your move has been positive, hope you meet some of the truly wonderful people that are here.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 31,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper4good View Post
Don't do it. Trust people who lived there. I was born and raised there and was very, very happy to get out!! Darton College is a good school with friendly professors, and Chehaw Park is fun to go to for outdoors and trails, etc. Not much else to say about it, though. No fun stuff for people to do usually.
can you give me information about the area around Darton College, such as enviorment, living conditions and any apartment complexs that are decent.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 PM

36 posts, read 142,523 times
the area around darton is very nice and safe. they now have dorms there!!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM

17 posts, read 31,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doerunner View Post
the area around darton is very nice and safe. they now have dorms there!!
thank you

Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,511 times
Don't wear saggy pants, you'll get a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia