Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM

5 posts, read 26,253 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an African American woman with 4 kids. I see that some of the best school are in Canton. My husband and I are seriously considering about moving there. I am a special education teacher and my husband is a carpenter. What is the percentage of African Americans in Canton?? is it pretty diverse? Would it be a particularly good move for my family?

Your honesty is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:06 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,854,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1225 View Post
Hello,

I am an African American woman with 4 kids. I see that some of the best school are in Canton. My husband and I are seriously considering about moving there. I am a special education teacher and my husband is a carpenter. What is the percentage of African Americans in Canton?? is it pretty diverse? Would it be a particularly good move for my family?

Your honesty is appreciated!

Thanks!!
The area is pretty lily white... like probably over 80%.. the largest minority is going to be hispanic. It's not what I'd call a particularly "diverse" area.. so if you want racial and ethnic "diversity" you might be a bit dissappointed.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,803 times
While the demographic of Canton is predominantly white, it is not a racist city. You would be most welcome here, as would anyone. We have several different ethnicities on our street alone and everyone gets along.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
As said above, it's not a diverse area by the numbers, but it's not all white either. We've got several AA families on our block in Holly Springs (the next town over), and everyone gets along fine.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,349 times
4 kids? You will fit right in. The area generally struck me as one of more children populous ones in the metro. Kids won't have issues finding who to play with.

I liked canton but it can get a little far out.. The new shopping mall they opened up might help that (target, lowes, best buy etc). I moved before it was complete and going to barret daily was getting to me..

Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Great!! I will be visiting soon. Since this will probably be our last move, it has to be right. I know the weather can get very hot. I am a teacher so I will make sure to get a job before coming. Although I've live in NY all my life, I don't like the noise, I don't like the quick honking after the light changes and my husband and I are very quiet and private people. Where we live now is upstate NY and it is a very quiet cul de sac. Shopping is about 10 minutes from our house.

I just want nice neighbors, quiet neighborhood and great schools for my kids...

Thanks for your response.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Good luck with that teaching job- they're going to be very scarce here for the upcoming school year, and most of the hiring fairs are happening in the next few months. If you haven't started researching when/where the fairs are, you'd better get started! Being a special ed teacher may help your chances, but the jobs still aren't going to be being thrown at you.

Be very careful with where you look for jobs, too- the commute out of Cherokee County can be painful during rush hour.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 AM

136 posts, read 478,161 times
I moved to Canton in 1999 and one of the first things my neighbors asked me was how I felt about the Hosea Williams Feed the Hungry event. I am a caucasian woman and have never been asked that question by anyone else so I found it a bit odd that it was one of the first things they would ask me. When I went to eat at the local Waffle House there was an african american man waiting to be seated when we walked in. He told us to go ahead. We told him that he should go first as he was there first. He said "no way" and walked behind us. It may have changed over the years but I would research it before making the move.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi,

Which areas are north of Decatur?

Thanks,

Old 03-19-2009, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,475 times
Default upstate ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel1225 View Post
Great!! I will be visiting soon. Since this will probably be our last move, it has to be right. I know the weather can get very hot. I am a teacher so I will make sure to get a job before coming. Although I've live in NY all my life, I don't like the noise, I don't like the quick honking after the light changes and my husband and I are very quiet and private people. Where we live now is upstate NY and it is a very quiet cul de sac. Shopping is about 10 minutes from our house.

I just want nice neighbors, quiet neighborhood and great schools for my kids...

Thanks for your response.

I was wondering what part of upstate NY? I possibly could be moving to GA. My husband has interview at new KIA plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia