Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,405,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvidal View Post
Words to live by!
FABULOUS post and I could not agree with you more....
Hindsight is 20/20.... And this move has definitely taught the meaning and importance of family and a sense of community!
Yeap.
The difficult part is when financial/utilitarian/livelihood imperatives dictate that you stay away from the community you would REALLY want to be in.
I am fully aware of community importance and yet I do not live where I would REALLY want to live. Extremely hard getting a job in my field where I would want to be (which is far away).

I live for the day when organizations all over the world would ONLY receive applications from applicants in the immediate area. The day when qualified applicant from Seattle would abstain from applying to suitable job in Atlanta. He would only apply to suitable jobs in Seattle area because he would want to stay close to his organic community; and so would go for the entire world. Organizations would have smaller pools of applicants to pick from but all of our personal lives would be so much better off for this decrease in economic efficiency and profitability.

Unfortunately, this is 100% unlikely to happen.

Last edited by syracusa; 04-30-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,405,363 times
Quote:
When a sense of community is missing, you can move into Buckingham Palace or Bill Gates' neighborhood and you'll still end up miserable.
Just wanted to add: ...not that the current residents of Buckingham Palace lack a sense of community. Theirs is alive and well...to top off the palace itself.
It's just us, mere mortals, who have bought into the lie that you can get your spouse, kids, dog + luggage and move wherever the job leads you, or wherever you think the 'burb house will be shinier - and still expect to be happy.

I wonder sometimes why the "big guys" don't seem terribly interested in adopting this nomadic lifestyle of extreme individualism and world-reduced-to-nuclear-family mindset.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Quote:
I guess you can say its pretty boring.... But it depends what you are looking for. Frankly we came from a very pedestrian town and here it just seems like everything is a hassle.... From going to the grocery store to ordering take out. Delivery for pizza takes 1 hour... And he pizza here is awful, everything tastes like papa John pizza.
Sounds like you need to find a better pizza place. Smyrna is swarming with them, for example, from Jet's and Blue Moon to DaVinci's and Syracusa's (formerly Fortunato's).

Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,786,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Yeap.
The difficult part is when financial/utilitarian/livelihood imperatives dictate that you stay away from the community you would REALLY want to be in.
I am fully aware of community importance and yet I do not live where I would REALLY want to live. Extremely hard getting a job in my field where I would want to be (which is far away).

I live for the day when organizations all over the world would ONLY receive applications from applicants in the immediate area. The day when qualified applicant from Seattle would abstain from applying to suitable job in Atlanta. He would only apply to suitable jobs in Seattle area because he would want to stay close to his organic community; and so would go for the entire world. Organizations would have smaller pools of applicants to pick from but all of our personal lives would be so much better off for this decrease in economic efficiency and profitability.

Unfortunately, this is 100% unlikely to happen.
Good point. Ideally, we would move to North NJ where my husband grew up, but it will be impossible for us to get jobs there and even more impossible to afford $6,000 in property taxes.

So we are also considering moving from Florida to North GA. We made the move back in 2006 and lasted 4 years up there. Then made the huge mistake of coming back to FL. Now I'm looking at the other side of the north metro area from where we were before - maybe Alpharetta, Marietta (East Cobb) and up to Woodstock.

It's a tough move and of course the job situation is bleak in both FL and GA. (but IMO, you can so much more house for the money in GA, inc. a basement and actual yard with trees!)

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,198 times
Hey MovedfromFl...Why did you leave Ga. After 4 years? What made you decide to move back beside the property tax in Fl? What part of Fl did you live in? What's your opinion on best place to raise kids between Roswell,Alpharetta,Sandy Springs, or Dunwoody????? Thank you so much!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:41 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,786,073 times
I got homesick for Florida I guess. (plus staying home all day by myself with the kids, and some marriage troubles too) I wanted to be closer to my parents (so the kids could spend more time with them). Well, we're back in FL, but we're still an hour drive away from them. (due to jobs)

I also thought I was going to get my old job back here in Florida, but everything changed in that regard. It's pretty bleak, so I have to return to the profession that I had prior to my last job. Pay will be about the same in FL vs GA, but in GA we can get so much more for our money and the overall cost of living is less (in the areas where we are looking).

The property tax was actually lower where we were in GA vs Central Florida. This may not be the case in GA counties like North Fulton area or Gwinnett.

IMO, there was a lot more to do with kids up in GA. For example, the nature center had events and our town had an aquatic center with a splash zone and slides. The only way to get that in most areas of FL is to go to the theme parks. We could also access hiking and waterfalls within a 45 minute drive up there. I miss the real trees and fall colors, and the cool air! (starts to cool down in early Sept in GA, but not FL!)

I'm not familiar with any of the towns you mentioned up there. We're headed up in 2 weeks for a tour and I'm looking at Flowery Branch (due to the low cost), East Cobb (Marietta), and Woodstock areas. We don't want to be quite as "close in" as the towns you listed. We're on a very tight budget this time. I see properties for $80-150k in some of the best school zones in the state. No granite counter tops (LOL), but I'm not picky. Give me a decent sized 1980's house with an unfinished basement and a shaded backyard, and I'll be happy as a clam.

I hate it in FL more every day. Right now we have a 92 degree heat index. Monday calls for 94 with a "real feel" of who knows what - probably 97+. The lack of seasons is weird after experiencing that for 4 years. There is nothing like the sight of a towering, neon orange maple tree on a clear October day. Of course, the trade off is endless gray/ drizzle days in November and December that are common in North GA.

Good luck with your move to Georgia. : )

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,068 times
I live in Johns Creek area and I have must say stay away from Sandy Springs. It is not what it used to be 10 years ago. My first choice is East Cobb and Roswell is my second choice. East Cobb is on the cusp of Fulton County near Dunwoody and Sandy Springs and parts of Roswell.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,230,821 times
We moved from the Coral Springs, Fl area 2 years ago, to Dacula, and love it here. We are close to the Mall of Georgia. We spend time in the Mall of Georgia area, Alpharetta, and Cumming...and while I love Alpharetta and Cumming, it seems more spread out and suburban for me. Mall of Georgia area is more like University Drive (in Coral Springs), but busier. I'm originally from NYC, so I like busy near by, but the comfort of a suburban feel for my home.
Just wanted to add that our neighborhood is very family friendly, with a neighborhood feel, and we have met many overly-friendly people in this area.
We have kids and love the plethora of activities for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia