Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 PM

26 posts, read 86,766 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a feel for a couple of neighborhoods on the westside of Athens, specifically Kingswood (off Timothy) and Woodhaven (off Mitchell Bridge). I lived in Athens several years ago, but on the eastside. The westside will be more convenient for DH's job, plus I like the fact that it seems to have fewer students and low-rent apartments mixed in. We have young kids; schools are not a big issue because they will likely attend private school. Anyone have experience with either of these subdivisions? I like that Woodhaven has a pool, but Kingswood seems to have a great community feel. Is this accurate? Any other neighborhoods we should consider? Maybe Beechwood? Thanks in advance for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM

bumping this post in the hopes that someone has some info!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Hope your search goes well. I used to live in Athens, but on the eastside as well. Liked the compactness of the eastside. Dont know about the westside neighborhoods you are asking about.

Just did not want you to think we were ignoring you! There are a couple of Athens posters on this forum, hopefully you will get a response.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
I lived on the west side of Athens for several years. I've always preferred the west side. To me, it just feels less closed off from the rest of town. That stretch of Timothy/Mitchell Bridge stretch is probably where I'd move to if I were ever in Clarke County again. It's close to the shopping both on Atlanta Hwy and the Oconee County shopping off of Epps Bridge Pkwy, it's relatively close to downtown and campus, and traffic isn't terrible.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Thanks, FromGA!

And thanks for the info, hal2814. Is it preferable to live north of Atlanta Hwy (i.e. Mitchell Bridge) or south (i.e. Kingswood), or are they about the same? Any specific neighborhoods to avoid or highly recommend?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,222 times
It doesn't really matter in that area if you're north or south of Atlanta Highway. That Timothy/Mitchell Bridge and Atlanta Hwy intersection is somewhat congested. Mitchell Bridge gives you easier access to the north end of the loop, downtown, Normaltown, Bishop Park, and north campus. Timothy gives you easier access to the south end of the loop, 5 points, Watkinsville, the Oconee shopping at 316, and south campus. But we're not talking a huge difference. The entire Timothy/Mitchell Bridge stretch is only about 6 miles long. When you're looking at that narrow an area, the house itself is more important than location.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
I think the 3 neighborhoods you mentioned will be fine. You can go to the ACC police department website and scope out the crime data for the area. I live on eastside but sometime wish I had gone to the west side for more convenient access to various amenities.

Cheers.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 AM

Thanks, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia