U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 28,223 times

Advertisements

My early retirement husband (age 60) and I (age 52) are looking at several communities geared toward "active adult living" in Jackson, Walton, Barrow and Cherokee counties. We plan to visit in early October and would apprecate any comments and words of wisdom about this area of Georgia or any others that you would suggest.

We're looking at the active adult communities because we've learned from experience when you move to a new area where you don't know a single person it can be difficult to meet people with similar interests and the time needed to pursue those interests (i.e. golfing). We'd like to be with people more in our age group rather than younger, working couples with little ones.

We're also considering some communities in central Florida but think it will be a lot more expensive because of insurance and property tax.

We're originally from the Midwest but now in coastal Mississippi (thankfully spared by Katrina) and want to stay in a warmer climate where we can golf and have the fun retirement we've saved and looked forward to for many years. Thanks for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 PM

66 posts, read 256,496 times
yes fla is more money i don't know your price range but there our a few active communities check out delweb.com
and levittandsons.com
there in ga theres a new one comming to peachtree city ga in jan 3400 homes well good luck baily

Old 09-22-2006, 05:54 PM

183 posts, read 700,543 times
You mentioned Monroe... There is a subdivision on a golf course...Woodlake. My husband and sons have played there a few times. My understanding is the housing prices vary. I am not too sure of the range.(I think $220,000-$320,000) If you frequent these boards, you know I am a big fan of Walton County and Monroe. We do not live in the city limits, we are on the border of Monroe/Loganville. The taxes are reasonable $2000 on a $200,000 house, you can get alot of property or smaller lots depending on your preference. There are numerous subdivisions on 138, Nunnally Farms, Lakeshore Estates, Lake Walton Estates...Like I said, we love it here. My husband travels to Atlanta daily, I stay at home. My subdivision offers at least 1 acre lots...It is very quiet , we are very happy here. Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 PM

148 posts, read 627,498 times
Default Retirement

Cayce,

I think Georgia ranks number three or four in retirement relocations. The Georgia mountains are attracting many retirees, and many retirees are relocating to Atlanta. Personally, I think you would be quite happy living in the metro Atlanta area.

Do keep in mind that every city is not perfect. If there was a pefect place, everyone would be living there. A few people here in this forum seem quite happy bashing Atlanta. As far as I am concerned, Atlanta has more positives than negatives.

At least some Georgia counties ( I don't know how many? ) offer property tax benefits if your income is below a certain amount. It's around $70,000. I live in DeKalb County, and as I recall its $68,000. The school tax portion of your property tax bill is then exempt, and the savings are substantial. In DeKalb County you'd be paying around $450 dollars a year ( depending in which city you reside ) on a $280,000 to $300,000 house. Your property taxes without the school tax exemption would be roughly $2600 to $3000.

The age to qualify for this property tax benefit varies. In Forsyth County the age in 62, and in DeKalb County it's 70.

Good luck!

Z

Old 09-24-2006, 11:56 PM

28 posts, read 62,610 times
Look at a place called Fairfield Plantation in Carroll County (I believe it has a Villa Rica, GA address). An older place with diverse housing opportunities including new homes and old. Not very pricey. Golf Course, 3 lakes (boating, fishing etc.), a small beach, pools, clubhouse, gated with security guard, club house, rec room / house, many senior clubs and events . . . It is different from the others. Either you like it or you don't, but definitely worth taking a look at.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 28,223 times
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. We'll be visiting in a couple weeks and plan to check out the Del Webb and Levitt & Sons active adult communities in the area, as well as some smaller communities I've found through internet searches in Jefferson, Woodstock, Winder, Monroe & Social Circle. Any further information about these specific communities would certainly be appreciated.

Had not heard about Fairfield Plantation. Sounds interesting and I will check it out further. We just want to make sure we live in an area where we have neighbors who like us no longer work and have time to do "fun retiree stuff". That's why we're specifically looking at active adult communities.

Also, I read so much on these boards about the terrible crime in what seems to be a huge area surrounding Atlanta. Is it really as bad as it sounds? Should we stay away from any of the above areas because of crime? Thanks again for your input!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:18 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,853,599 times
Smile Rome

Have you looked into Floyd county at all? Rome has a wonderful main street and some really nice old victorians in the rivers district. Also golfing is high on the list, with Stonebridge golf course and nearby locations such as Barnsley Gardens. It is also very close to great state parks like Cloudland Canyon, and Little River Canyon just across the line in Alabama. Also has a pretty good outdoor community and local music scene. Just don't tell too many people....

Old 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 7,078,360 times
If you are looking for an active retirement "village" setting for sociable seniors, I don't think you are going to find what you're looking for in Georgia. The Villages in Central Florida is probably what you want. As far as I know, there is no equivelant to this anywhere in Georgia. For that matter, I'm not aware of anywhere like The Villages elsewhere in Florida either.

You will find many retired people with places up in the mountains of North Georgia. These are people who love the beauty of the mountain regions and want to live a quiet life in the country, preferably around a golf course. Rabun County has several golf communities. I highly doubt that a house in The Villages is any more costly than a comparable house in the Georgia Mountains. In fact, I think it's more expensive in North Georgia.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against retiring in Georgia, in fact some day thats exactly where I plan on retiring.....that is, unless find myself single, and want to party and socialize with other seniors. I might have to keep a winter home in The Villages.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:11 AM

879 posts, read 2,939,045 times
My husband and I are moving to Georgia and we are looking for a 45 and up community!!! You know still working, too young to retire, but surrounded by other "empty nesters" such as ourselves... There are none, someone needs to build one!!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 AM

2,788 posts, read 6,948,585 times
There is a new Sun City in Braselton. Exit 126 off I-85
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia