U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 22,150 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am possibly going to be moving to the Cartersville area and want to know as much as possible about the area. I have two kids, 7 & 4, and want them to be in the best schools possible. Also, my wife is in the banking business and was curious what the job prospects look like there. I will already have a job(hence the reason for the move). Let me know what everyone thinks.....good, bad and otherwise. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM

136 posts, read 428,739 times
I live near Cartersville but don't have kids and don't know any in the Cartersville City School District. Are you moving to Cartersville proper or to Bartow County? The job market appears to be mostly in retail and jobs do seem to pay low. There are a few banks in Cartersville. I work in the tech support industry and commute to Atlanta.

Overall, I like the town very much but not for job opportunities. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants and a quaint downtown area that has a laid back, small town feel. People for the most part are friendly and polite.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Default I will have a good job, she is looking

I would like for my wife to have a job where she makes close to what she does now. She works as a book keeper at a small town bank here and makes in the neighborhood of $10 an hour. Any jobs like that exist in Cartersville?Also, to answer the other question, I prefer something in the outer lying areas but convenient to town (mall, I-75, restaurants, etc.). A house with at least 3 BR with more than 1/2 an acre would be great. Is this realistic?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM

I'm not very familiar with the Cartersville job market or the bookkeeping field but I think that $10 an hour would not be a problem, and as there are a lot of retail business so there probably is a demand for bookkeepers. A 3-4 bedroom house on an acre to 1/2 acre should be doable for under $200k if you are willing to purchase a resale. Now, I don't think the Bartow County schools score as high as some other schools in the metro ATL area but all my neighbors that have kids have been happy with the school system and their kids are happy and do well. I know a couple of teachers in Bartow County and they are good people and I think they are probably good teachers.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Where else would you live?

I would (if I am selected) be working at Allatoona Dam, so Cartersville seemed like the obvious choice for a place to live. Where else would/could you live and be reasonably close to the dam? I only drive 15 minutes to work in the mornings where I live now. I would like that to stay pretty close to what I would drive there. Also, which local schools are the best?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM

483 posts, read 1,909,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbravesfan View Post
I would (if I am selected) be working at Allatoona Dam, so Cartersville seemed like the obvious choice for a place to live. Where else would/could you live and be reasonably close to the dam? I only drive 15 minutes to work in the mornings where I live now. I would like that to stay pretty close to what I would drive there. Also, which local schools are the best?
I hope you're from someplace up north. You can be that
Dam Yankee everybody talks about.

Take a look in Acworth, Kennesaw, and Woodstock (about 15 miles) Woodstock may have the best school situation.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 PM

Woodstock probably does have the best schools but you're also looking at higher home prices.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM

100 posts, read 333,504 times
Your best bet would be to stay in Cartersville or Acworth and maybe Kennesaw all of them will get you to the Dam in about 15 minutes or less. Kennesaw and Acworth will be a little more expensive and will give you less land. The schools in Cartersville are pretty good, Bartow County Schools are improving but still are not all that bad. Acworth schools are about the same as the Bartow County Schools (one area of Acworth is in the district of Woodland, South Central, etc, which which are in Bartow County anyway) Kennesaw area achools are pretty good too. Like most towns there are good and bad parts but since you are trying to stay in the outerl ying area you won't have a problem with that at all. I suggest looking into the Carter Grove Plantation neighborhood. It is in the South Cartersville area, close to the Dam, pretty close to Town Center Mall, a part of the Cartersville City Schools, and houses range from the lower and mid $100,000 to over $1,000,000.

Oh yeah, about the banks -- Cartersville is in the south, so you know there are a lot of churches, but it seems that there are as many banks as churches around here! And $10/hr will not be a problem.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Your help is appreciated

That sounds like some interesting things to look into. I really appreciate the info since I will have to accept this position without the benefit of having spent any significant time in or around Cartersville. The wife and I have stopped there on our way to/from Atlanta when we go to the ballgame, but that doesn't give you a true look at the area. I will be asking lots more questions if I do in fact get the job. Thanks so much!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 96,827 times
Bank jobs will not be a problem here , that I can assure you. The Cartersville City Schools are as good as any in the area and from where I live I can be at the dam in between 5 to ten minutes and I live inside the city limits of Cartersville. Are you planning on buying or renting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or