Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,511 times

Advertisements

hello all. Just retired from the air force after 20 years. I'm looking to find a good community in northern georgia. I am african american, with a wife and two year old.

I am a former army brat, too, so this is a completely new life for me.

I am looking for an area that is really laid back and quiet, without being surrounded by a lot of sickos. the wife and I are looking to buy into a franchise next year. until then, I will be working part-time in anything that I find interesting, whereas she will be transferring to her job.

For now, we are looking at Cartersville (which I like a lot), Douglasville, and Marietta (which I am liking quite a bit, as well). I am looking at a few houses in Marietta, namely in the the Hollydale subdivision. Does anyone have any info on that subdivision? I have been there a few times, and it seems fairly quiet and like a decent neighborhood. the wife would have to transfer to a store in austell, which I hear isn't that great of an area.

I would even think of the Kennesaw area, from what Ive been reading here on this forum the last couple of days.

I would not like to go any further south than Warner-Robins, or any further east than Athens. Oh yeah, Rome is out of the question.

I am open to any suggestions/ideas/comments.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 05:38 PM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
I can't tell you much about Douglasville but if you are looking for a laid back and quiet community you will find many of them in Cartersville, Kennesaw, and Marietta. The only difference in the three are the distances to Downtown Atlanta, traffic, and prices of home. Kennesaw is a VERY NICE area BUT it has a lot of traffic, Marietta is right next door to Atlanta, and has a very nice downtown. Cartersville also has a very nice downtown but it is a good 30 - 40 minute drive to downtown WITHOUT traffic. But Cartersville is growing at a great pace right now and would be a great place to open a new franchise so...

All of the towns are friendly and have plenty to offer so you will be okay in whatever decision you make. Neighborhoods in Cartersville to check out are Four Seasons, Carter Grove Plantation, The Waterford, and a few more that I can't think of the name right now.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I spent a lot of time in Douglasville and Cartersville today. I saw parts of both cities that I haven't seen in the month I've been here and living out of hotels.

A lot of you folks on here that have moved to the area and rented are spot on with your advice. If I had visited here for a couple days last year, and based my decision on that and what I have read online, I would be living in a part of Douglasville that I would not be happy with. So, we have decided to go the rental route for at least the next six months while we do a lot more research before buying.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
You're welcome! I don't know if you got to see it but there are a few areas of Cartersville you might want to avoid as well. Most of them are around downtown Cartersville.

Here is a link to the Carter Grove Plantation Community. If it is out of your price range let me know I can give you more information on houses that more affordable.
Carter Grove Plantation

Old 09-27-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahitsme View Post
You're welcome! I don't know if you got to see it but there are a few areas of Cartersville you might want to avoid as well. Most of them are around downtown Cartersville.

Here is a link to the Carter Grove Plantation Community. If it is out of your price range let me know I can give you more information on houses that more affordable.
Carter Grove Plantation
well, a year of agonizing is over. we have decided to reside in Cartersville. Found a really nice place outside the city, off of hwy 113 towards Rockmart.

I did get to see a lot of the parts of Cartersville that I should avoid. What sucks is, up on the hill where MLK boulevard is, there is a townhouse subdivision that somewhat overlooks the city. It's definitely a nice view, but I was told that really isn't a place I'd want to live.

But, after all these weeks of driving around and living from hotel to hotel, I feel relieved.

If anyone's interesed, i'll give updates as things progress. maybe I can help someone looking into moving up this way if its possible.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:54 PM

275 posts, read 1,544,987 times
Default Air Force here too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepeacefulone View Post
well, a year of agonizing is over. we have decided to reside in Cartersville. Found a really nice place outside the city, off of hwy 113 towards Rockmart.

I did get to see a lot of the parts of Cartersville that I should avoid. What sucks is, up on the hill where MLK boulevard is, there is a townhouse subdivision that somewhat overlooks the city. It's definitely a nice view, but I was told that really isn't a place I'd want to live.

But, after all these weeks of driving around and living from hotel to hotel, I feel relieved.

If anyone's interesed, i'll give updates as things progress. maybe I can help someone looking into moving up this way if its possible.
Hey there,
my husband and I are getting out of the AF next month. Although he's not retiring, we were only in 4 years. We are still trying to decide where to reside as well. I was leaning more towards the Marietta area as I'm trying to stay in the Federal system with my job. We are going to rent for 6 months too before we buy. Are there any areas that you would say "Absolutely NO!!"?

Old 10-18-2007, 07:05 AM

34 posts, read 135,219 times
Byron Ga is quiet, has a lot of potential for growth, and is convenient to Robins AFB for your retirement benefits...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia