U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
lcr lcr started this thread

5 posts, read 75,414 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
There is a great possibility that I may be relocating to Newnan because of a job opportunity. I've never been to Georgia, and only hear about Atlanta on TV. Can anyone tell me about Newnan? How is the weather? The cost of real estate? How difficult would it be to rent a home? (If there are any realtors from the Newnan area I would love to hear from you). How culturally diversified is it? Things to do? How far is it from Atlanta? Any and all information would be very helpful. Looking forward to learning about your beautiful state..Thank you!
Lizet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 02:36 PM

722 posts, read 2,987,779 times
You're in luck because I actually live in Newnan. It used to be a small town but in the past decade its grown by leaps and bounds. We have tond of retail, tons of affordable housing, and good schools. The weather is good, although it can get hot like the rest of the south. Diversity isnt close to Gwinnett yet but its slowly getting there. Its 25 minutes from the airport and 35 from Atlanta. There are a lot of airport employees here. More and more people are discovering Newnan so were growing likle crazy.

PS: We also have an amazing historic district

Old 10-02-2007, 03:21 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. The reason I ask so much about diversity is because my husband and I are both hispanic, he was born in the US and I came when I was 6. Although I am Cuban and I am dark and he although hispanic looks white. I was a bit concerned when we moved to Florida but it so happens there are many interracial couples in this area. I want to make sure we fit in and are comfortable with our surroundings.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM

12 posts, read 112,351 times
Most of newnan is populated by ignorant whitetrash. Unfortunatly I live here. I am originally from socal and have been in the fayette/coweta area for over 14 years. if you are looking for diversity look elsewhere. I am moving away from this armpit in january.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 38,567 times
Hey Lizet,

I must respectfully disagree with pstar's comments. As a Realtor, I am familiar with the entire South Metro area, the good and the bad. When my family needed more space and a new home, we chose Newnan, hands down! We were close by in Fayetteville for 10 years (16 miles away) and have been in Newnan for the last 2 and a half years and everyone in the family loves it.

I see pstar is from Southern California. Well, a thriving metropolis dripping with nightlife and culture we are not. We will not compare to So. CAL so that is a valid point!! However, Downtown ATL and Buckhead are 30-40 minutes away for your wild side and for your everyday living, there are plenty of shops, restaurants etc. for you to enjoy here in town. If you lived in Florida, you'll find us to be real similar, minus the nearby beach!!

It is not filled with "ignorant white trash" as mentioned. In fact many professionals call Newnan home. Sure. . . . .this is the south and we have our share of "good ol boys" but Atlanta is so diverse and the surrounding suburbs are as well. Including Newnan. You and your husband have nothing to worry about and I am sure you will feel welcome everywhere and be quite comfortable visiting and hopefully living here!

The weather is 80-95 in the summer. Generally 40-60 in the cooler months although we do get teens and 20's now again in the colder months like December adn January but usually for a few days. And generally every 6-8 years, we might see a light snow fall. Housing is varied depending on what you are looking for. There are modest 3 BR/ 2 bath ranch homes for $140K to larger options spanning $500,000 to over $1 Million. We haven't had a crazy spike in values like FLA so housing is generally affordable. Rentals can be found too. Plan on $1200 - $3000/mo. depending on what your taste and expectations are.

Good luck with the job prospects!!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Hey HomeFinder30265,

Your post was very helpful and reassuring. I hate the term "white trash". If all goes well I will be in Newnan next week. The area of Florida that I am in is not exactly New York City which was what my husband and I were use too. I hope that if this job opportunity should evolve we will both like Newnan and be able to settle in and make it our home. Thanks again for your input.

Lizet

Old 10-04-2007, 02:33 AM

2 posts, read 23,617 times
Default Also moving to Newnan

Hello All,

Very informative posts.

I will also be moving to Georgia due to a new job and am thinking of living in Newnan. At first I am planning on renting an apartment and if the job suits me, buying a home after. Can you please recommend apartment complexes in Newnan that I should consider?

I am thinking 2 bedrooms with a monthly rent of around $800. Washer and dryer hookup and high speed internet a must; attached garage a plus. Thank you all for your help.

P.S. How is the commute between West Point and Newnan?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,779,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl77 View Post

P.S. How is the commute between West Point and Newnan?
Well, it's about 45 miles of interstate, so you should be able to do that in 35-40 minutes. Add in time to get to the freeway on each end, and you're looking at probably less than an hour. There shouldn't be much if any traffic, as you're doing a reverse commute between two points that aren't heavy commuter areas anyway.

Bob

Old 05-28-2008, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 19,276 times
i'm moving to newnan too. from so calif. orange county rather. and very different from LA/MUCH MORE CONSEVATIVE.. do you think i will make it? there is a lot of woods i saw on my last visit. we looked into summergrove. what do you think? w/ 2 grammer school kids and a husband that got transfered there w/ airline job. lived here foe 37 years, all family is within 13 minutes. i like the southern gentile idea but 20 and into the teens for winter?? is it really humid w/ rain like FL? is there a trader joes or costco? i a really looking to have good friendships w/ neighbors...peachtree city was just a bit "boring" for me and the carts? not impressed.thanks for your response....

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 19,236 times
Stay Where U R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or