Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 01:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Augusta riverfront will dwarf anything Columbus riverfront will have for the next generation. If you know about our spying scouting Columbus to see what other Georgia cities with riverwalks have done, you should that Cal Ripken Jr. is heavily invested in Augusta's downtown. Thousands of more students will live, work and study in downtown and Summerville.
Wow I don't even know how to respond to this. Majority of people probably don't even know Augusta even has a riverwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times
Same could be said for the riverfront of Columbus...

So... I'm sure you'll post a video of the Whitewater course and then I'll respond with the Augusta Southern Nationals, Augusta Regatta, ESI Ironman, etc... I've seen this movie before on this site.

Neither is exactly San Antonio's riverwalk and neither is necessarily separated itself from the other, know what I mean? Both are adding to their riverwalks, which is a good thing.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Wow I don't even know how to respond to this. Majority of people probably don't even know Augusta even has a riverwalk.
Majority people never heard of Columbus Ga. To most the REAL Columbus is in Ohio.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Majority people never heard of Columbus Ga. To most the REAL Columbus is in Ohio.
Columbus,Ga is a worldwide business name! Let me see if I can find Augusta,Ga on FORTUNE 500.

Fortune 500 2012: States: Georgia Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Columbus invented two things on that list. Coca Cola and Alfac.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM

You think anyone watching an Aflac commercial outside of Columbus itself, knows it's located in Columbus, Ga? They know its mascot is a duck, that's about it.

As far as Columbus being a world-wide business name? Let's not get carried away...

Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
You think anyone watching an Aflac commercial outside of Columbus itself, knows it's located in Columbus, Ga? They know its mascot is a duck, that's about it.

As far as Columbus being a world-wide business name? Let's not get carried away...
Quote:
Most do! The Alfac games is proof of that!

This is what outsiders do,when they see Aflac.

Dinglewood Pharmacy in shadow if AFLAC Building -in Columbus, GA - YouTube

Quote:
As far as Columbus being a world-wide business name? Let's not get carried away
You can't be serious. Columbus has been a business name since the mill industry.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM

What the heck does that video prove? Just curious...? Not really anything relative to our discussion is all I can gather...

Nobody outside of Columbus or outside of the company would guess that Aflac is in Columbus, they'd be shocked if you told them... Aflac is a world-wide business name, in large part because of the funny little white duck with the catchy one-liner, not because of where its headquartered. Atlanta is a world-wide business name, New York, L.A., etc... Columbus, Ga... isn't.

No disrespect intended, it's just not. Neither is Augusta.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
A city's name as a "business name" is mostly relegated to size and not really which companies are headquartered there since the average person doesn't know where a lot of popular businesses are headquartered. I wouldn't say that Bentonville, AK is a "business name" just because the world's largest retailer (Wal-Mart) is headquartered there; most people don't know that. I'd wager that Columbus is more associated with Fort Benning than any company headquartered there.

On a separate note, don't y'all get tired of this same merry-go-round? Maybe one reason Georgia's second-tier cities are stuck is because y'all are using each other as barometers instead of progressive cities elsewhere that have accomplished what y'all are trying to accomplish and blaming Atlanta for sucking up all the oxygen in the state.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 PM

That's the fact of the matter Mutiny, all the power is in Atlanta... look at the naming of the newly merged University in Augusta. Augusta was slapped in the face with the name Georgia Regents University after there was national/state and local surveys that showed University of Augusta was the overwhelming favorite. The BOR in Atlanta continued with their ego-trip and named it Georgia Regents anyway. There are protests, resignations and a unified/upset community about 2hrs East of Atlanta over this...

That's just how it is in this state, everything is through Atlanta... I know Augusta is sick of it as the disconnect between Atlanta and the rest of the state continues to grow. The disconnect is real.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A city's name as a "business name" is mostly relegated to size and not really which companies are headquartered there since the average person doesn't know where a lot of popular businesses are headquartered. I wouldn't say that Bentonville, AK is a "business name" just because the world's largest retailer (Wal-Mart) is headquartered there; most people don't know that. I'd wager that Columbus is more associated with Fort Benning than any company headquartered there.

On a separate note, don't y'all get tired of this same merry-go-round? Maybe one reason Georgia's second-tier cities are stuck is because y'all are using each other as barometers instead of progressive cities elsewhere that have accomplished what y'all are trying to accomplish and blaming Atlanta for sucking up all the oxygen in the state.
You are a hypocrite Mutiny77.

You spend all day yesterday trashing Augusta because I dared to say that Augusta and Columbia SC, the state capital, are peers and interact in a competitive way from time to time. You denied it for awhile before excepted it. You were soo butt hurt about that. So let me get this right is OK to compare Charleston and Savannah but not Augusta and Columbia? Explain that. Now that Augusta and Columbus Ga (a much smaller city than Columbia) is the trending topic, somehow this is just as bad. The second tier metro aren't stuck, all are growing positively last time I checked. I'm sure the future of Georgia isn't decided on this board clown lol I have zero influence on the city leader, do you? Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Athens and Macon is where it is because of city and state officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia