Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I don't think its wise for Columbus to bank it's future solely on BRAC. As the war draws down so will the number of troops. Columbus may get some bodies but it won't be exponential enough to sustain them for the long term. To me they should concentrate on expanding it's suburbs closer toward I-85 and hope funds are available in the future for I-14.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...y-general-says
Columbus has done well in my opinion. Fort Benning is here to stay. However, Columbus is doing well recruiting other industries and focusing heavily on tourism. Columbus draws 1.5 million visitors per year. With the new whitewater project, that will bring in around another 140,000 visitors per year. There are major retail developments happening and proposed. Muscogee Technology Park and Benning Technology Park are attracting new industry to the city. The city is moving forward quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now I'm not sure what the situation is in Columbus, but many times corporations headquartered in a city make significant contributions to cultural facilities and charities/non-profits, as well as sponsoring special events, and that indeed does have a broader impact on the community.
Quote:
Now I'm not sure what the situation is in Columbus, but many times corporations headquartered in a city make significant contributions to cultural facilities and charities/non-profits, as well as sponsoring special events, and that indeed does have a broader impact on the community.
Aflac CEO Amos, wife donate portraits of George and Martha Washington to Columbus Museum | Business | Columbus Ledger Enquirer
Aflac offers donation of $225,000 for new bookmobile | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer
Historic house moved to Columbus Historic District | Latest News | Columbus Ledger Enquirer
John B. Amos Cancer Center - Columbus Regional - Columbus, GA - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports

AFLAC OUTDOOR GAMES 2010 - YouTube

They all have impact,but Aflac has the most.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
TSYS and Synovus are sponoring the Jim Blanchard Leadership Forum tomorrow. President Bush is speaking at this sold-out event (1,200 seats) tomorrow night here in Columbus.

Jim Blanchard Leadership Forum

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Fort Benning employs 41,462 people.That's the largest in the state.If something goes wrong,it won't only hurt Columbus but the state.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
"What about Augusta the city as a whole?!" Nothing! Zero! Augusta National and the city of Augusta are about as far apart as two things could be. Those 12-foot walls covered in Ivey exist for a reason -- to keep out the "haves" from the "have nots." How many of the National's memebership even LIVE in Augusta? We don't know because the institution is so exclusive, but common sense tells you very few. - Newsboy

What was your point in this post on the Augusta board? How many different ways can you covertly stick a jab in and call it a reference to "privacy" for the National?

You know you've come to the Augusta board a couple times here lately and started stuff, all people have to do is look. I don't come to your board posting nonsense...

So why am I embarrassed?
You're embarassing Augusta.

And I stand by my original statement 100 percent: The admission of two female members to Augusta National says NOTHING about the city of Augusta. The city has NO influence on the club, and the club is socially, physically and historically "removed" from the city. I have never, ever not ONCE been to Augusta when some local did not point out the irony that the most famous and exclusive golf club in the world is smack dab on what is truly one of the ugliest, tackiest, busiest stretches of commercial blight anywhere in the Southeast. Washington Road is an absolute disgrace! For all the attention Augusta gets during the Masters, nobody ever sees what is just beyond camera range. -- nobody ever sees the "real" Augusta. Why? Because it would completely destroy the myth. And that, my friend, is 100 percent absolute fact! Why is it the only major tournament that doesn't allow aerial shots?

When the sports media talks about Augusta, they mean the golf club, NOT the city. And the National likes it that way.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-26-2012 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Those companies being located there though don't make one city better than the others though. While it's good they are there, (they add to the tax base and bring jobs), they don't improve the overall quality of life of the city, at least not to those who don't work at those said companies. And while they do bring revenue to the city, Columbus GDP is still not higher than Savannah's or Augusta's (not saying that either city is better than Columbus).
This is absolutely wrong. Every corporation of any significance contributes in some way toward making the community where it is based a better place, whether a major contributor to the United Way or sponsor of arts and cultural events or establishing foundation trusts for improving education, services to the needy, healthcare, etc. The contributions of Atlanta's corporate giants helped make the Olympics possible and built the Georgia Aquarium. "Don't do anything to improve the quality of life of the city?" YEAH RIGHT ... whatever!

The biggest civic booster in Columbus is an organization nobody has ever heard of before, the WC Bradley Corp. It manages a huge foundation trust created by the family that once owned all of the textile mills in Columbus. The Bradley's deserve credit for pretty much everything good that's happened to Columbus over the past 20 years, particularly downtown.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This is absolutely wrong. Every corporation of any significance contributes in some way toward making the community where it is based a better place, whether a major contributor to the United Way or sponsor of arts and cultural events or establishing foundation trusts for improving education, services to the needy, healthcare, etc. The contributions of Atlanta's corporate giants helped make the Olympics possible and built the Georgia Aquarium. "Don't do anything to improve the quality of life of the city?" YEAH RIGHT ... whatever!

The biggest civic booster in Columbus is an organization nobody has ever heard of before, the WC Bradley Corp. It manages a huge foundation trust created by the family that once owned all of the textile mills in Columbus. The Bradley's deserve credit for pretty much everything good that's happened to Columbus over the past 20 years, particularly downtown.
While those companies may have contributed to Columbus, those companies still don't make Columbus better than Augusta, Savannah or Macon or any other city in the state for that matter. Corporations don't make or define a city.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
You're embarassing Augusta.

And I stand by my original statement 100 percent: The admission of two female members to Augusta National says NOTHING about the city of Augusta. The city has NO influence on the club, and the club is socially, physically and historically "removed" from the city. I have never, ever not ONCE been to Augusta when some local did not point out the irony that the most famous and exclusive golf club in the world is smack dab on what is truly one of the ugliest, tackiest, busiest stretches of commercial blight anywhere in the Southeast. Washington Road is an absolute disgrace! For all the attention Augusta gets during the Masters, nobody ever sees what is just beyond camera range. -- nobody ever sees the "real" Augusta. Why? Because it would completely destroy the myth. And that, my friend, is 100 percent absolute fact! Why is it the only major tournament that doesn't allow aerial shots?

When the sports media talks about Augusta, they mean the golf club, NOT the city. And the National likes it that way.
Having been to all the metros in the state, all of them have roads that are just like washington Rd. In fact the Atlanta has about 100 of them.

Also not sure if you've been to Augusta recently but there have definitely been a lot of upgrades, like adding beautiful plants, azaleas and small trees along the rd which is also being done all over the city.

Last edited by PJA; 08-26-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I agree!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
You should be embarrassed because you're acting like a child.

And I stand by my original statement 100 percent: The admission of two female members to Augusta National says NOTHING about the city of Augusta. The city has NO influence on the club, and the club is socially, physically and historically "removed" from the city. I have never, ever not ONCE been to Augusta when some local did not point out the irony that the most famous and exclusive golf club in the world is smack dab on what is truly one of the ugliest, tackiest, busiest stretches of commercial blight anywhere in the Southeast. Washington Road is an absolute disgrace! And THAT was my point. For all the attention Augusta gets during the Masters, nobody ever sees what is just beyond camera range. -- nobody ever sees the "real" Augusta. Why? Because it would completely destroy the myth. And that, my friend, is 100 percent absolute fact! Why is it the only major tournament that doesn't allow aerial shots?
I don't think you realize the National basically controls the immediate area, and it's located in the suburbs.. You can't just build tall office buildings or condos next to the course.. A developer wanted to build condos with retail on the bottom at the National Hills shopping center.. The National complained anything over 3 or 4 stories(forgot the exact number) would be a security risk... It's a suburban rd in the area who recently got a new Sheraton, Kroger shopping center expansion, Five Guys strip center, Fresh Market expansion, Electrolux new building, etc.. If you saw any 'commercial blight' in the area there's a reason... The only 'blight' is the shopping center owned by the Augusta National after they made everybody move... The National has plans, but probably won't move on them until the I-Hop closes next year.. Somebody affliated with the National is also making people move out of the apt complex near the course, and he owns another complex a little further away... They've already create parking, lodging, etc off Berkman rd and demolished several nice homes.. The city had plans to realign Berkcman rd with Alexander, and now T-Splot was approved... There's plans to get away from the 'suburban character' but it's mostly according to the National's timeline...

I hope you don't believe there's not 'money' surrounding Washington rd.. The Village at Riverwatch is only minutes away, and the Rockbrook area is right off Berckaman rd(several homes over $500k)... Then you have the tourist trap Surrey Center only a few steps away..

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...172?source=web
1 Rockbrook Rd, Augusta, GA 30909 - Zillow
Surrey Center :: Where EVERYONE knows your name!
http://www.augustaga.org/var/ezwebin...eme_images.jpg
http://weddingmapper.s3.amazonaws.co...0/145806_l.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia