Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 PM

937 posts, read 1,791,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Well what I'm trying to say,they all have something common with Atlanta.

Columbus has a huge corporate base that bring in billions.
Savannah is a huge tourism site which bring in millions to the city..
Augusta has the huge metro that bring in millions.
What? Georgia Health Sciences University (MCG) has an economic impact in Augusta of 2 Billion by itself. Not counting Ft. Gordon, SRS, Plant Vogle, the Air port, the rest of the medical district, the Masters, and the money off of tourism. I think Augusta is definitely in line for out ranking the other second tier cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 05:23 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,815,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
What? Georgia Health Sciences University (MCG) has an economic impact in Augusta of 2 Billion by itself. Not counting Ft. Gordon, SRS, Plant Vogle, the Air port, the rest of the medical district, the Masters, and the money off of tourism. I think Augusta is definitely in line for out ranking the other second tier cities.
Quote:
I think Augusta is definitely in line for out ranking the other second tier cities.
Hilarious!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 AM

Aflac’s assets at year-end 2011 totaled more than $117 billion with annual revenues of more than $22.2 billion.
Aflac At A Glance

Now this is without Carmike Cinemas, TSYS, Realtree, Synovus, W. C. Bradley Co.,Fort Bennning and the Tuskegee & Morehouse game.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,689,607 times
Quote:
Aflac’s assets at year-end 2011 totaled more than $117 billion with annual revenues of more than $22.2 billion.
Aflac At A Glance

Now this is without Carmike Cinemas, TSYS, Realtree, Synovus, W. C. Bradley Co.,Fort Bennning and the Tuskegee & Morehouse game.
corporate headquarters are good things, but you better be careful.

Those particular numbers for that particular type of business means very little to its impact on a particular city.

The reason it has so much in assets ... it has to. It is an insurance company. They have to make pay outs when needed. It also matters where those assets are and what they do for the community. They must be in the community. The same for revenues, expenditures and profits. It depends where the money goes and is spent.

For the most part the big deal is the well paying white collar workers it brings to a city, but especially with insurance it won't be the whole company... so those total aggregate numbers from a single company really don't matter to the impact on a city.

in 2011 Augusta has GMP of $19.6 billion (ranked 104 in the country) and a 3.1% growth rate (rank 266).
Columbus was a $12.3 billion (ranked 154) and had a growth rate of 3.8% (rank 187)

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

now Augusta's metro population is 561,858 and Columbus' is 301,439. This would be a per capita GMP of $34,844 and $40,804, respectively.

Other things I would analyze if I could well... is where the money is concentrated in the population. Does that GMP lead for more money of the average worker? Does it also produce business that requires more workers?

You have some arguments to stand on, but so does Augusta. They have a strong economy in a strong industry right now, healthcare. They have more people and a bigger overall economy.
Columbus is smaller, but... with further analysis... they might have better quality jobs for a smaller population

Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
corporate headquarters are good things, but you better be careful.

Those particular numbers for that particular type of business means very little to its impact on a particular city.

The reason it has so much in assets ... it has to. It is an insurance company. They have to make pay outs when needed. It also matters where those assets are and what they do for the community. They must be in the community. The same for revenues, expenditures and profits. It depends where the money goes and is spent.

For the most part the big deal is the well paying white collar workers it brings to a city, but especially with insurance it won't be the whole company... so those total aggregate numbers from a single company really don't matter to the impact on a city.

in 2011 Augusta has GMP of $19.6 billion (ranked 104 in the country) and a 3.1% growth rate (rank 266).
Columbus was a $12.3 billion (ranked 154) and had a growth rate of 3.8% (rank 187)

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf

now Augusta's metro population is 561,858 and Columbus' is 301,439. This would be a per capita GMP of $34,844 and $40,804, respectively.

Other things I would analyze if I could well... is where the money is concentrated in the population. Does that GMP lead for more money of the average worker? Does it also produce business that requires more workers?

You have some arguments to stand on, but so does Augusta. They have a strong economy in a strong industry right now, healthcare. They have more people and a bigger overall economy.
Columbus is smaller, but... with further analysis... they might have better quality jobs for a smaller population

The only reason why Augusta MSA seems so larger than Columbus MSA,because their CSA is already tied together.However,I agree with your post.

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 09-16-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,900,805 times
Quote:
The only reason why Augusta MSA seems so larger than Columbus MSA,because their CSA is already tied together.However,I agree with your post.
Unless Augusta and Columbia merge it was and has never been classified as a CSA. What do you mean by tied together? Columbus is way more connected to the Alabama side than Augusta is to South Carolina.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Unless Augusta and Columbia merge it was and has never been classified as a CSA. What do you mean by tied together? Columbus is way more connected to the Alabama side than Augusta is to South Carolina.
Okay I didn't know that about the Augusta metro area.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,571,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
If that's the case then Auburn/Opelika numbers needed to be added to Columbus when discussing population. The areas are tied together but A/O still has its own MSA.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,900,805 times
If it was my understanding they already had a CSA. If Aiken had a MSA then it would be the Augusta Aiken CSA not MSA. We are discussing MSA not CSA.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Columbus and A/O will become one big MSA hopefully before the next census. Its just like Augusta and Aikens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia