Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM

104 posts, read 452,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by salo13 View Post
The "Old South" is "Gone With the Wind". They lost the big war. Get over it.
What?? The south lost the "big" war, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
LoL, wow? Thanks for making that clear, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Default "Thanks for your post"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
i don't need your patronizing "thanks for your post" and then you say "some people find negation in everything". let me tell you, i have served in two of this country's wars and have lost friends in one of them; including a very close friend. in every case from my experience, it is usually the "poor" who go and the "rich" who don't but who send off the sons and daughters of others to do the dirty work. i don't give a rip how much "better" things are anywhere. nothing outside my own country's borders are worth the blood and body of one of my children or any other child. and for the record, i have a son on active duty. i hope you find what you are looking for, but don't preach to me on how i should feel about any issue. if i see negative, that is how i call it. end of message.
I didnt mean to sound "patronizing". We are both American and because of that we can think and feel how ever we want about anything, but with that said me and you have very different oppinions on the USA, our military service, and why we fight/fought. You seem to think the Army still drafts soldiers (and only "poor" people), was your son drafted, you did say he was on active duty, right? Some soldiers sign up and fight for selfish reasons, but a lot of us still belive in our country and doing right by others who need our help! A lot of us still sign the dotted line because we love our country and are willing to die for it and our family back home! As a child I was never the type that could watch a smaller kid get picked on or beat up by a bully on the play ground, I alwasy felt I had to stop it if I could! Different people make the world go round, right? Anyway as they said this thread has been fairly peacful, all I was trying to say is if you can answer the original question then thanks, but I dont care to fight with a person over oppinions. I posted this thread so when you post a reply its kinda like coming in my house, that why I said "thanks for posting", I really did appreciate the info on Towns County, Ga. It looked beautiful, and we really did make plans to visit during Christmas or some time when I get home from Iraq, so once again Thanks

Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Default well....

well bubba, i am glad there are still people like you. i had enough killing both of troops and civilians to last me a lifetime. if you feel you are doing the work of the lord, go for it. i hope you make it home and live the life you want so badly for your family.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
well bubba, i am glad there are still people like you. i had enough killing both of troops and civilians to last me a lifetime. if you feel you are doing the work of the lord, go for it. i hope you make it home and live the life you want so badly for your family.
Thanks Ollie, I appreciate that.
I dont know about "the lords work", lol

Old 02-11-2008, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,698 times
Default Yup

There are still places like that in the South....it's not the state, but the community you move to....we live in small town USA....wouldn't trade it.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernComfort007 View Post
There are still places like that in the South....it's not the state, but the community you move to....we live in small town USA....wouldn't trade it.
Im with you Brother!! I have actually been looking in to AR lately, its seems kinda nice up in the north AR area. But the jury is still out lol

Man O Man, I do love the south though!!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 AM

602 posts, read 1,962,766 times
GA Boy, have you tried NE Alabama (particularly Huntsville/Madison)? I have 20 years' experience living there, and it was GREAT. We left there only b/c my husband's job didn't pay enough there and the one he was offered here paid 2X as much; unfortunately, we're paying such high taxes here, we might as well still be living in AL and making less.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
I love SW Va and Eastern TN....lots of small, quaint, old-fashioned Southern towns there with very reasonably-priced housing. I bought 10 acres up there myself and will build my dream log home on it one of these days.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,115 times
Default Yes. Good small towns left.

Let me begin by saying thanks for your service to our country. My son served with the Army Airborne, 313th MI Battalion from 2001-2004, and was in Ar Ramadi for 6 months, so I know your sacrifice and that of your family. My son is now in college at Univ. of West GA. We live in Villa Rica, not too far from Douglasville. These two towns still have the small old town feel, yet the population is increasing and there are some growing pains. They are generally conservative towns, yet are ethnically diverse. Not too much drama here. This is a great area in my opinion. Only about 35 miles from downtown Atlanta, with a mall in Douglasville, many restaurants and good schools. Other similar cities 15-20 miles from here are Carrollton (where Univ. of West GA is located), and just north about the same distance is Dallas. Good luck and keep safe!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:13 AM

96 posts, read 424,696 times
Sounds like some are having a bad life. I'm a former Marine, Nam Vet and I too have seen hell. I still don't believe it was as bad as the wacko's in Iraq that you guys are fighting. Yep, we had kids with grenades but car bombs were unheard of where I was, in the jungle. For whatever your reasons I give you all my best wishes and pray for your safe return. Most of all, don't be swayed by the thoughts of 1 cranky Vet. What we endured was spit and cursing by the liberals that were so scared of war, that's the only way they could cover it up. Hurry home & stay safe !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia