U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times

Advertisements

Im a single mother trying to relocate to Georgia to make a better life for my kids and my self are their any programs to help me out to come out there I'm tired of maryland they dont help you at all out here and tak you through to much
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM

4,901 posts, read 6,230,475 times
Program???? No..

You find job 1st, then figure out where you are going to live, then move yourself & family here. And you pay for it yourself ( unless you are in a IN demand job and you can get you employer to pay for it Low chance of that occuring).

Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,643 times
I know where I want to go and I did my research I want to go to college park but I mean I only know what I have research on the place need to know more

Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM

4,901 posts, read 6,230,475 times
You might want to re-post into the Atlanta sub-forum College Park is better handled in Atlanta group.

read the http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/847517-moving-atlanta-soon-read-first.html

and cut/paste the 1st item into your post.

If you can put in specific question most of the time you will get a answer. A general one like where should I move to, etc, will generally get ignored.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 PM

3,579 posts, read 7,535,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaJohnson View Post
Im a single mother trying to relocate to Georgia to make a better life for my kids and my self are their any programs to help me out to come out there I'm tired of maryland they dont help you at all out here and tak you through to much
NO. GA is a Red State and doesn't have very good social service programs and much support for those in need at all. Maryland would be far more generous than GA, and that should worry you. GA is a place where you need to be self supporting from the start.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
NO. GA is a Red State and doesn't have very good social service programs and much support for those in need at all. Maryland would be far more generous than GA, and that should worry you. GA is a place where you need to be self supporting from the start.
I love the euphemisms and blaming it on "red state" politics. "Generous".... as if the State of Maryland or the State of Georgia is some rich uncle. The people of these states work hard and pay taxes. The state then sends their money if you qualify for one of the "programs" that provides transfer payments to people unable to provide for themselves. So-called "blue states" like Maryland just throw around more of their citizens' money, whereas so-called "red states" like Georgia are a little more careful about how they confiscate money from the productive to give to the unproductive.

I'll be the one person to say it with less political correctness....If you cannot support yourself, please don't come to our state and expect that the taxpayers of Georgia will support you.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,470,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaJohnson View Post
I know where I want to go and I did my research I want to go to college park but I mean I only know what I have research on the place need to know more

First of all, College Park is not a good area.

If you want to make a better life for you and your kids, moving to another state isn't the answer, getting an education and a good-paying job is.

With all that being said, Atlanta is NOT the place for you to come. With any place you need to come with a job offer or a job transfer. As others have already said, there are no programs to assist out of towners trying to get on their feet. There are no programs for residents, much less programs for anyone who isn't already here. One of the the big problems with Atlanta is that so many people came here for better opportunity, thinking they would just be able to walk into good jobs with no skills or education and get good, yet affordable housing. This just isn't true.

There are very few jobs here and Atlanta is a city of highly-educated people. If you don't have the academic and professional experience to compete with the well-educated people already here who can't find work, you can pretty much forget it.

If you are African-American, this is not the mecca for blacks people claim it is unless again, you can come here with a good paying-job. Just based on what I hear in your post, you will be struggling here as well. You will find yourself living in bad neighborhoods with poor schools, as GA schools are lowly-ranked and the areas with the good schools are very expensive. Things have only gotten worse since the recession.

Stay where you are and go to school. Apply to colleges with student family housing and work a part time job and use your financial aid to pay for your school housing. If you want to relocate, go to a place where you can go to college and live on campus with your kids.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 07-29-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 AM

2,117 posts, read 2,528,678 times
GA doesn't have programs or incentives to help single mothers relocate. GA only has programs and spends tax payer money help corporations relocate.

It's funny how people immediately accuse you of being on the public dole but the same people fully support corporations being on the public dole. Corporate welfare. Whether jobs are created or companies are beneficial to the area or not, as long as it helps some executives profit, it's gotta be good.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:51 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
GA doesn't have programs or incentives to help single mothers relocate. GA only has programs and spends tax payer money help corporations relocate.

It's funny how people immediately accuse you of being on the public dole but the same people fully support corporations being on the public dole. Corporate welfare. Whether jobs are created or companies are beneficial to the area or not, as long as it helps some executives profit, it's gotta be good.
I'm Barack Obama, and I approved this message.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,078 times
nia , i live in college park how many kids do you want to bring to georgia , tell us something about youself there is a room here ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia