Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM

69 posts, read 228,376 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me a little about this town. Was wondering as a possible place to retire. Considering that and Thomasville. Thanks!

KM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,330,219 times
I live about 45 minutes from thomasville..and an hour and a half from Bainbridge.They are both small towns population about 20,000. I am not sure about Bain...population. but it can't be over 20,000. I suppose if you want to retire there it would be okay...it depends on where you are coming from..Both are very small typical southern towns..IMO they are very conservative typical southern towns. Mayybe someone else from this region can give more info for you..I have only lived in south ga for a year now myself...!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,784,766 times
Bainbridge might be a typical SW Georgia town, but Thomasville is anything but typical. It is truly one of the greatest gems in all the South, much less Georgia: Historic, progressive, vibrant, beautiful. The downtown district is charming beyond words: brick streets, historic architecture, trendy shops, restaurants and galleries. There's a reason why folks in Tallahassee -- just 25 minutes south -- flock to Thomasville for adventure.

Bainbridge benefits from its position on the Flint River, which merges with the Chattahoochee to form nearby Lake Seminole. That entire corner of the state is a sportsman's paradise, dominated by fishing and quail hunting. Lots of plantations have been converted into resorts. I imagine it's an ideal retirement area.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 PM

Newsboy I did not know Thomasville had such a great downtown. I love Savannah downtown BTW. I will surely go visit thomasville when I have some time off work. I have heard they have great restuarants downtown as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 PM

^^^ How is downtown Valdosta these days? Last time I drove through there I saw quite a bit of activity. I think Thomasville might be similar, albeit smaller.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM

@Newsboy I have not been through downtown Valdosta since the spring...I always considered downtown a mini Savannah,there are a few clubs in downtown mostly filled with with 20 something college kids,but all in all I am very happy living here,I came from Atlanta and Boston so I like the laid back atmosphere here.. there are very great restuarants downtown as well...they really have fixed it up from what I here it was like back in the 80.s and 90's!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
@Newsboy I have not been through downtown Valdosta since the spring...I always considered downtown a mini Savannah,there are a few clubs in downtown mostly filled with with 20 something college kids,but all in all I am very happy living here,I came from Atlanta and Boston so I like the laid back atmosphere here.. there are very great restuarants downtown as well...they really have fixed it up from what I here it was like back in the 80.s and 90's!
Yes that was my impression. I think the growth at VSU and proximity to the campus has had a huge impact on downtown Valdosta. I was also pleasantly surprised at how "tropical" it looks; even though Valdosta is right on the Florida border, you don't usually see that many palm trees in inland South Georgia.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 AM

Exactly! VSU has the tropical look...my friend tranferred from Georgia Southern in statesboro and she never went but just looked at the campus online and she thought it was at a beach when she arrived there....the college is growing and so is the Military base here so I am not the only outsider here!!I fly out of Valdosta every thur..to Atl where I fly to Seattle thursday through monday...and the plane to valdosta is always full...Maybe one day we will actually be a big city!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 AM

Wow that is quite the commute! I knew Valdosta had a commercial airport but didn't know flights out there were so popular. At least you don't have to drive to Jax or Tallahasee! I wonder how Wild Adventures has affected Valdosta as a tourism destination. It sounds silly, but who knows -- Orlando wasn't much bigger when Disney came to town!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,114,605 times
I live in Tallahassee and I would rather live in Thomasville than bainbridge.

Nothing against bainbridge, but Thomasville just looks nicer, has a better downtown, and a lot of amenities for a city its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia