U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,627 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys/Gals,

I will be moving my family from NYC to Rome at the end of Aug to start a new job. Hopefully this would be a good move. I am familiar with Atlanta as I went to school there for a yr and have family there, but I know nothing about Rome. However, from driving through the area it looks pretty decent and homey which is what we are looking for to raise our son (14Mo)

I have a few questions though related to apt/house hunting.

-Which areas do you recommend? I've been looking at Rome, Cartersville, Acworth, Rockmart areas for housing as they are about a 30min or less drive. I'll be working at a major hospital in Rome so the closer the better.

-How much does sewer, water, electric, ect cost? My current and past rentals only required me to pay electric. Sewer, trash, ect are already covered. Just to get an idea.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM

8,352 posts, read 6,680,883 times
Wow! This will be a major move. But you are already familiar with Georgia and have a good attitude so I don't think it will be too big a shock. I love Rome! It's a beautiful city in a gorgeous part of the state, big enough to have its own identity (and minor league baseball team) but small enough to have a real sense of community. And you're only an hour from both Atlanta and Chattanooga -- great location!

I can't speak for housing costs, utilities and the like, but am somewhat familiar with the area and think you probably would be most comfortable living in Rome proper, which has some very nice areas. Too far out in the country may indeed be a culture shock. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM

20 posts, read 18,114 times
I grew up in Cartersville, just down the highway from Rome. I would not recommend it, horriable schools, lots of crime, etc. Rome is quite a bit better in those regards, especially schools...even though even Rome schools are nothing to marvel at. If you can afford private school I would recommend it, even though the only private schools in that area are Christian schools...don't know how you feel about that though. I would recommend Rome (Having lived in Cartersville and I've had friends live in Acworth.) It has the best schools, most culture, probably a lower cost of living, and a similar violent crime rate and lower property crime than the other place you mentioned.

You will probably have to pay for all utilities if you are renting, except maybe trash pickup. Sometimes down here you'll find somewhere that will pay for your water, gas, etc. but this is fairly rare.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM

12,873 posts, read 19,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_RN123 View Post
I grew up in Cartersville, just down the highway from Rome. I would not recommend it, horriable schools, lots of crime, etc. Rome is quite a bit better in those regards, especially schools...even though even Rome schools are nothing to marvel at. If you can afford private school I would recommend it, even though the only private schools in that area are Christian schools...don't know how you feel about that though. I would recommend Rome (Having lived in Cartersville and I've had friends live in Acworth.) It has the best schools, most culture, probably a lower cost of living, and a similar violent crime rate and lower property crime than the other place you mentioned.

You will probably have to pay for all utilities if you are renting, except maybe trash pickup. Sometimes down here you'll find somewhere that will pay for your water, gas, etc. but this is fairly rare.
Not all of the private schools in Rome are 'Christian'; the Darlington School is one of the best private schools in the state.

Darlington School: Home: Welcome

Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 31,423 times
Have you considered Adairsville ? It's between Cartersville and Calhoon. No crime and everybody treats you like family. We just moved here in Oct from Miami, Fl and we love it. Just got tired of all the crime, crowds and traffic in Miami.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,963,270 times
This is quite a move! You will most likely be happier in the Rome city limits unless you are seeking a completely different lifestyle. I'm assuming that you will be working at Floyd Medical Center form your post, which is centrally located in the Rome city limits. I would rule out Acworth due to the distance. It is further away than any of your other choices.

Rome is a bit off the beaten path due to a lack of direct freeway access but it has so much charm.It serves as the gateway to northwest Georgia.

Darlington, as mentioned in a previous post, is one of the premier prep schools in the state. There are also two private colleges -- Shorter and Berry. I'm proud to say that I have degrees from both. There are excellent cultural offerings from the institutions.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any additional information. I lived in Rome for many years and still have friends there. The area between Rome and Chattanooga is gorgeous and turns from rolling hills into mountains. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,482 times
I've only lived in Rome for about a year, but I like it. There are a few beautiful parks very close to town. The down town area is charming. Lots of local amenities. I have a daughter that starts school next year so I've been doing lots of research on local school. There is a highly rated school in Armuchee called Glenwood Primary School. It's the best in the area (excluding private options). Armuchee is maybe 10-20 min from Floyd Hospital and it probably has most of the modern construction homes. Otherwise there are lots of older homes in Rome. If you're working in Rome and don't mind living on the outskirts, you may want to look at areas such as Lindale, Silver Creek, Cave Springs, Kingston, Summerville, Shannon, and even Euharlee (which is almost equally between Rome and Cartersville). Anyway, good luck. I hope you enjoy Rome as much as my family does. It's really a nice little place.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM

20 posts, read 18,114 times
Quote:
Not all of the private schools in Rome are 'Christian'; the Darlington School is one of the best private schools in the state.
Your right, I overlooked Darlington, I apologize

Old 07-30-2013, 03:38 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,219,699 times
Compared to your average town, is there an abnormally large gap between the haves and have nots in Rome? On here, I've only read about how great and beautiful it is, and though the mountains are gorgeous, I've only been there once. I went to a distant relative's funeral there about 3 years ago and I was in shock. As most know, we have some very intimidating areas in Macon, but the particular predominantly AA communities that I saw in Rome looked worse than the WORST parts of Macon. I know most towns have their rough neighborhoods, I just didnt expect to see neighborhoods THAT unattractive in Rome, especially after hearing how nice it is.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=east+...17.25,,0,11.64

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 6,300 times
Default Rome is rome

I ended up there last year when we were on our voyage from VA to Huntsville, AL (too pick up and move) and turned around in Huntsville real fast, literally, our research into that place was countless prior. Anyway, my truck broke down in Rome and I was mad, it was the middle of the night with my then 7 mo. pregnant wife. In the A.M. I had to get things taken care of fast. With a less than stable vehicle, hunting for mechanic shop, I began to fall in love with Rome. I liked it, the people, the weather, the abundance of heavenly nature and sunshine, and appeared to be developing.
So, while awaiting for my truck to be repaired, I walked around downtown (which isn't too big). Then things began to open my eyes, crazy druggies on the side streets and the streets, community areas began getting sketchier. I decided to get a drink from the gas station (soda/pop take your pick). Was approached by some really drugged out women, I guess they wanted money or something as their friends were next door selling/pawning... gold, or whatever, more bunch of druggies came quickly there. And soon, my eyes opened all the way, drug problem here, meth I assume and which would explain all the meth billboard signs everywhere (yeah, like those signs help anyone...accept for those making money from them-I saw so many on my initial way through and back I even became curious what it would be like to try meth).
Anyway, my truck was fixed and for a decent price. I drove around the rest of the town and realized it is basically a small circle, and I was like, 'what'. I tried to think opposite, drove more, ended up on the other side of the small radius circle-then outward down Shorter Ave. I was like, oh, I just needed to get out of that loop. Nope, really not any better. In all, it is a beautiful place, very beautiful. However, too far from anything and everything you may need if needed aside from a hospital that I hear is well rated. As in employment, the big kicker, where? I still have warm thoughts of that place and hope it revitalizes and expands someday as its local is a good nuclei for potential both as corridor and other transit facts. I even tried to spark up conversation with locals that I am moving there and need work and everyone's first response was basically "you have family here getting you a job, or where you gonna work at hmmmm!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia