Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
FALSE!!!!! I didn't want to get involved in the thread but had to point this out... This is like the third-fourth time somebody from Columbus gets on here and tells people Augusta is losing population. It's amazing you're using the 2010 populations for the metro Augusta area, but had the nerve to put Columbus at 300k... It's even worse you have to compare the MSA of Augusta vs the CSA of Columbus...

Neither the Census or Business Journal estimates show Columbus gained 5k people from 2010-2011..
Muscogee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The Columbus CSA,will be trimming down Augusta's MSA very soon! Not to far apart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM

25 posts, read 52,854 times
Those Columbus fellas had the audacity to compare it to Tallahassee too. I believe they haven't spent much time in other cities and only go off things they've heard, read and population rankings.

Columbus just isnt, and doesnt seem as much of a city as Augusta. Macon's infrastructure even makes it appear to look larger, even though it's smaller.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,845,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_DRK View Post
Those Columbus fellas had the audacity to compare it to Tallahassee too. I believe they haven't spent much time in other cities and only go off things they've heard, read and population rankings.

Columbus just isnt, and doesnt seem as much of a city as Augusta. Macon's infrastructure even makes it appear to look larger, even though it's smaller.
Are you kidding me? The only thing that puts them apart is interstate connection. Yeah Augusta is bigger,but just know that the infamous Fort Benning takes up a quarter of Muscogee County.

Columbus infrastructure is years ahead of Macon's.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:43 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
As we all know, the Transportation Special Local Option Sales Taxes was defeated in the metro Atlanta area but passed in both Augusta and Columbus as well as Dublin, so what does this mean?
It means that the voters in those regions reviewed the project lists for their regions and decided they wanted to pay the 1% sales tax to fund those projects. Perhaps the projects in those regions were more carefully thought out?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
WARNING

Read the first post for the topic. Anyone else who decides to derail the topic again will also get a "vacation".
This is NOT the "Columbus vs Augusta" room

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Why 3 Georgia regions voted for T-SPLOST *| ajc.com

"Voters in Columbus and Augusta also dreamed big. The Columbus region includes an "inland port" — a truck-train distribution center connected by rail to the ports of Savannah and Brunswick — in Cordele. The T-SPLOST sets aside tens of millions of dollars to upgrade U.S. 280 that feeds into the inland port.

The Augusta region's $841 million will be spent four-laning a key downtown thoroughfare, fixing bridges, widening a highway important to manufacturers and improving access to I-20. Downtown Augusta will receive $100 million in transportation improvements, according to Sue Parr, president of the Augusta Metro Chamber of Commerce. The region has 13 counties."

With all due respect, this is where we share news and compare information to get the most accurate data for those who seek it. This was and still a big issue in the state of GA and across the nation. Atlanta Metro voted it down, Coastal GA voted their projects down and Middle GA rejected the tax. All three metro are expecting light rail projects connecting to each in the near future. Augusta and Columbus, 2 of the 3 cities in GA, voted for the tax, $841 million local road projects through out the CSRA and $594 million in the West GA region. Both cities were snubbed by the the light rail projects but both are Gateway Cites that share borders with other states and there are plans for a Fall Line Freeway connecting the two towns via Macon GA.

There is plenty to debate about but if our friends form Columbus want to talk about population growth or decline at least get your fact straight please.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
I voted against the T-SPLOST in my region becuase it is a regressive tax, particuarly against poor people who don't drive around much. Approval of this SPLOST in my county would have raised the sales tax to 8 percent.

What we should be doing is increasing the gas tax. Drive around more? Contribute more for road construction, plain and simple.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
I voted against the T-SPLOST in my region becuase it is a regressive tax, particuarly against poor people who don't drive around much. Approval of this SPLOST in my county would have raised the sales tax to 8 percent.

What we should be doing is increasing the gas tax. Drive around more? Contribute more for road construction, plain and simple.
It won't happen. Deal and the Republicans 'promised' they wouldn't raise the gas tax, even though it's relatively low and desperately needed! We just can't get it together in this state

Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
What we should do is make the GDOT more efficient... I guarantee you there is plenty of money coming in if half of it wasn't wasted, but being inefficient and blowing the taxpayers money like it grows on trees is what the Guv'ment does best. You know it and I know it.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Why 3 Georgia regions voted for T-SPLOST *| ajc.com

"Voters in Columbus and Augusta also dreamed big. The Columbus region includes an "inland port" — a truck-train distribution center connected by rail to the ports of Savannah and Brunswick — in Cordele. The T-SPLOST sets aside tens of millions of dollars to upgrade U.S. 280 that feeds into the inland port.

The Augusta region's $841 million will be spent four-laning a key downtown thoroughfare, fixing bridges, widening a highway important to manufacturers and improving access to I-20. Downtown Augusta will receive $100 million in transportation improvements, according to Sue Parr, president of the Augusta Metro Chamber of Commerce. The region has 13 counties."

With all due respect, this is where we share news and compare information to get the most accurate data for those who seek it. This was and still a big issue in the state of GA and across the nation. Atlanta Metro voted it down, Coastal GA voted their projects down and Middle GA rejected the tax. All three metro are expecting light rail projects connecting to each in the near future. Augusta and Columbus, 2 of the 3 cities in GA, voted for the tax, $841 million local road projects through out the CSRA and $594 million in the West GA region. Both cities were snubbed by the the light rail projects but both are Gateway Cites that share borders with other states and there are plans for a Fall Line Freeway connecting the two towns via Macon GA.

There is plenty to debate about but if our friends form Columbus want to talk about population growth or decline at least get your fact straight please.
The "Interstate 14" route was the only area to vote for the TSPLOST. Those 3 regions (most of the proposed I-14 goes through there-not that it was 1 of the projects) voted for while the other 9 voted against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia