U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it better to travel to Emory from Dunwoody or Duluth?
Dunwoody 3 60.00%
Duluth 1 20.00%
Other 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,837 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Atl metro area (from CT). Seeking suggestions on what would be the best place to move given the following consideration
- would like a diverse population (all ehniciities - asian, aa, caucasian)
- i will most likely work in Emory/Downtown - so need to be able to travel on a daily basis
- would love a good public school district, but willing to consider a pvt. high school (kids now in daycare/elementary school).
- need 4+BR, 2+BA house in 300-500K range
- need a small (~0.25 acre) yard if possible (have big dog that needs to run around, and easiest to let him run in the yard, especially with the small kids)

Is it any easier to approach Emory from the East (i.e. Duluth)than from Dunwoody?
How bad is the drive from Dunwoody to Emory on surface roads?
Must admit that we have never been to Duluth, but presume it is more suburban than Dunwoody?

Greatly appreciate any input. I have seen some very good feedback to other posts!!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 01:47 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Dunwoody is closer and is actually in the same county as Emory (Dekalb). You'd also have the option of utilizing MARTA (rail) to get downtown. Not sure about your other criteria, but in terms of access, definitely Dunwoody.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,837 times
Tx Mutiny77. Any idea how long the drive maybe in peak time traffic?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,062,137 times
I would not settle for DeKalb schools right now. Here is what I wrote on another post:

Quote:
Class size is going to be out of control this year, the best teachers are leaving quickly, if they can find jobs, due to paycuts and other indignities, and DeKalb doesn't accelerate, they enrich. I have heard from parents at both Vanderlyn and Austin, as well as mutliple other DeKalb schools, that 4th and 5th grades will be 34 kids in a class. Kindergartens across DeKalb will be 24 kids with no teachers aides. The financial crisis in DeKalb schools is deep and wide.
I realize that I didn't add, that most expect next year (2013-2014) to be worse.

I would find a way to make my budget work in the City of Decatur. An easy commute to both Emory and downtown. By far the strongest schools in the area -- if you want an easy commute.

If you are going to choose to live in DeKalb anyway, I would recommend you look in the Lakeside district to give yourself the advantage of a decent commute. I happen to think Dunwoody to Emory is a pain, because you have to use both interstate and surface streets. Emory is a very congested area and the closer you live, the less painful the commute will be. Keep in mind that there isn't direct interstate access to Emory so you will spend quite a bit of the ride on surface streets.

If not Decatur, consider Simpson Elementary in P'tree Corners. Gets you a little East of Dunwoody, in a much stronger school system, and perhaps a little easier commute.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM

6,562 posts, read 7,668,850 times
Dunwoody would make for a better commute than Duluth, however if it is important your ethnic mix includes asians to a large degree... then definitely look harder at Duluth (and Johns Creek). It is a very popular area, especially for Koreans.

If you are sure you are commuting to Emory (and not downtown) I would definitely check out the Parkview and Brookwood clusters just south of Lilburn. Mostly white with an increasing ethnic mix. The schools are about evenly split ethnically. and the drive to Emory on Stone Mountain Freeway is pretty good. Most of the traffic you will encounter will be near Emory on surface streets and there is no way to avoid that regardless what direction you are coming from.

A downtown commute from this area will take about 45 minutes. Most of it will be spent navigating Ponce de Leon when it turns from a freeway to a surface street. You will turn left onto Freedome Pkwy and it will carry you right into downtown or go straight it will take you towards midtown.

The heaviest traffic in town is where I-78 and I-85 merge to go through downtown/midtown. After that it is the north part of 285 from I-75 to I-85, and then I-85, 75, and GA 400 north of 285. A good bit of the traffic dies down inside 285, until 85 and 75 merge.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,363 times
Just wanted to comment on the ethnic mix... Dunwoody is quickly becoming one of the most diverse populations in Atlanta, with a "majority-minority" population. The high school alone has over 60 languages spoken there. The schools are strong, with a highly involved parent, community, and business population. To say they look out for their kids and work to provide a high quality education is an understatement. Also, having done both the Dunwoody to midtown/downtown commute and Duluth to those places, Dunwoody beats it each time. With multiple options to access the metro area, Dunwoody wins in accessibility and also a family friendly/quality live-work-play environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia