U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM

10 posts, read 6,405 times
Red face Young Person to move-- SAV or ATL

Hi, I'm 21 and a college graduate. I live in the city of Waycross, GA and I want to move to a bigger city. I want to know where I can get good job and find a place to live-- not necessarily in that order, I am horrible and filling out job applications. Right now I am leaning more to Savannah, live there for a few years and see if that works out-- I am afraid Atlanta will overwhelm me.

Things I definitely need:
-I need reliable public transit
-A job quick and reliable
-Shared housing available
-I want a good amount of places to shop
-I enjoy swimming/beaches (+1 to Savannah)

Which city should I go with? I already got potential prospects in Savannah, but I want to ask people who have lived there. Never been away from home before, it's kind of scary. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 PM

3,014 posts, read 1,584,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortz View Post

Things I definitely need:
-I need reliable public transit - Atlanta would be better for transit
-A job quick and reliable - In what field? This would be the most important need right now.
-Shared housing available - Not sure one city would be better than the other.
-I want a good amount of places to shop - Atlanta would offer more shopping.
-I enjoy swimming/beaches (+1 to Savannah) - Savannah
If you have a job prospect in Savannah already, get that situation worked out and move there for a while. If Atlanta seems a little scary, you might like Savannah better...but the number one priority is finding a job before you make any move (if possible).

Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,343,973 times
Savannah. Build up your resume before making a move to Atlanta.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
If you have a job prospect in Savannah already, get that situation worked out and move there for a while. If Atlanta seems a little scary, you might like Savannah better...but the number one priority is finding a job before you make any move (if possible).
I've been looking for jobs for the longest time..and I actually had an interview lined up but I was unable to make it there because of the difference in times. I thought if I used my savings money and moved before holidays I would find something..but looking now I am not having much more luck. I really wish I had more networking connections.. The job I have in Waycross is not enough to make ends meet. I have a two year degree in computer support, as well as warehouse/retail/office experience. I don't care what field the job is in.. I just need one.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Savannah. Build up your resume before making a move to Atlanta.
This is more random than an actual reply..but would you know of any places to get leads on work? Right now I've been on Craigslist..but I've been unable to find an official Savannah shopper page. The biggest problem I am having is finding jobs that are scams or take an hour or two to complete a long survey "Would you steal from an employer?" I've done several of these for big name retailers and nothing ever comes out of it. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
This is more random than an actual reply..but would you know of any places to get leads on work? Right now I've been on Craigslist..but I've been unable to find an official Savannah shopper page. The biggest problem I am having is finding jobs that are scams or take an hour or two to complete a long survey "Would you steal from an employer?" I've done several of these for big name retailers and nothing ever comes out of it. Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Georgia Labor Market Explorer

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Thank you so much!

Old 09-11-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much!
Glad to help!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 PM

7,855 posts, read 5,693,300 times
Savannah would be better than Atlanta -- a lot closer to Waycross if you get homesick!

Several good sites for local jobs:

Home - The Creative Coast (Savannah, GA)

Savannah GA Jobs | Jobs in Savannah GA | Savannah Hiring Employment Search

Savannah Morning News

Old 09-13-2012, 04:14 PM

3,014 posts, read 1,584,870 times
Quote:
I've been looking for jobs for the longest time..and I actually had an interview lined up but I was unable to make it there because of the difference in times. I thought if I used my savings money and moved before holidays I would find something..but looking now I am not having much more luck. I really wish I had more networking connections.. The job I have in Waycross is not enough to make ends meet. I have a two year degree in computer support, as well as warehouse/retail/office experience. I don't care what field the job is in.. I just need one.
It is very difficult to find a job living somewhere else...but it's awfully scary thinking about moving somewhere without one. Just be aware that it may or may not work out for you if you take that chance. Good luck wherever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia