U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 20,449 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone Gonna try to keep things simple.

I am graduating college (Paralegal Studies), and there are so many promising job opportunities in the Atlanta area, as well as my husband and I's love of the Georgia area in general, that we are heavily considering moving down to Kennesaw, or Marietta in the next 3-5 months. We've done a lot of research, and we have even visited Kennesaw and Marietta just about three days ago, and we have come to agree that we can tolerate the traffic, we like the neighborhoods that we got to see, and we love how much shopping is available. We did not get to interact with many of the people b/c most of our visit was driving and seeing where things were, but we do like the area.

Now with all that said, we are from the Chattanooga area. We are a very young family with an toddler daughter. We are not quite ready to buy, so we are looking for nice rentals in good neighborhoods that we can settle in and raise our daughter for a time while we decide if we want to buy and learn where areas we would want to buy are while we rent. We do plan on having more children, so schools are a very important issue for us. What are some of the nicer schools in the area? In Chattanooga, there is a significant difference in how public schools are, and how private schools are. The gap is ridiculous and the only way students around here seem to get quality education is if they go to private school. Are public schools in Kennesaw decent safety and education wise?

I'd also like to know if anyone knows anything about good childcare facilities. My husband will be a full time engineering student, and I will be going back to school and working on my bachelors as well as working. I have already selected Kennesaw State and have actually already been accepted, twice, just never had the money to make the move until now. So we need good childcare.

Other information:

We're an interracial couple (I'm black, husband is white, and daughter is both), I am not too concerned with what things will be like in Kennesaw as far as all that is concerned, but any information on how the environment down there is for interracial couples would be appreciated. We want our daughter especially to feel comfortable and safe, Chattanooga is not offering that...

Anyone employed in a law firm, what are things like in your work environment? How are hours, what is your commute like, etc.? Any info on working in a law firm would help a newbie like me!

Does anyone know any schools (besides ga tech, he wants his associates first then maybe transfer) that are good for engineering majors? My husband is having a difficult time figuring out what school would be good for transferring.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Post this in the Atlanta forum to get more response.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 20,449 times
okay, thanks

Old 10-13-2012, 07:41 PM

36 posts, read 91,170 times
Tell your husband to look into Southern Polytechnic State University. It's located in Marietta...a smaller school that GA Tech, but has grown a lot in recent years. I have a friend who graduated with a degree in electrical engineering and enjoyed his experience there.

I live in Marietta, and have lived here for almost 6 years. I live close to the interstate and about 15 minutes from my job, which makes my commute easy. I know you said you drove around while you were here, but did you drive through rush hour traffic? Even in Kennesaw, the traffic gets really thick which makes for a miserable commute. Before you sign a rental agreement, be sure to see how your commute will be during peak hours.

As far as being an interacial couple, you should be fine, but I will say that the closer you are to the actual city of Atlanta, the more liberal people are. I hope that I have answered a few of your questions. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or