Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 15,464 times

Advertisements

what's the dalton area like to live in? my husband just had an interview for a job there. any communities to not consider living in? how are land prices (we have a horse)? clean? friendly? I'd love the local low-down!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 PM

5 posts, read 59,863 times
Talking Dalton Area

http://www.northga.net/whitfield/

Here's a website that tells you everything you need to know. They have a nice hospital, a buncha doctors in every field and carpet mills galore. The area has a nice mall (Walnut Square) where you can walk in all kinds of weather. You can also shop at the Outlet Mall down the road from the mall, eat at Red Lobster or The Outback or any number of good restaurants. There is a WalMart and a K-Mart and possibly other big stores in the area. There are churches, a synagogue and a mix of people living in Dalton. You can get it all from that website.

I'm moving between Dalton and Chatsworth shortly I hope, so maybe we'll meet one day!

Lindy

Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,481 times
if your hispanic then dalton is the place to be,if your black or white.......find another city

Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 61,155 times
I live in Tunnel Hill which is split with part of it in Whitfield Co. and part in Catoosa Co. Everyone here refers to Dalton as lil Mexico. Rarely will you see a black or white face on the streets or in the stores. Most businesses have most of their signs in spanish. The Tunnel Hill area is almost all white. I have only seen a few hispanic faces and even fewer black ones in this area. Good Luck

Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 58,962 times
Default IT's like taking a trip to MEXICO

Illegals are everywhere. I know a volunteer with the police department who said the police won't go in certain parts of dalton because mexicans will surround their car and start trying to intimidate them. They quit arresting the illegals because there are so many that the jails get overcrowded and it takes immigration 2 months to come get them. Mexican gangs are popping up everywhere along with the gang violence. This town is too small to have all of the problems that it does. There's no reason we should be ranked as high as we are with crime rates. Don't come here if you don't have to, it's hard to get out.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 43,347 times
Default Dalton

Dalton is dirty if you ask me, and it's mostly mexicans, probably a majority illegal mexicans. I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
Yeah, as much as I hate to designate a city as "lost", I'd say Dalton is one that might as well be shot out into space.

Pretty much all previous comments are correct - you'd be forgiven for thinking you're in a remote southwestern Texas town near the Mexican line when you're in Dalton anymore. I wouldn't go so far as to say the police "refuse to arrest them", but there are just so many now that Spanish is probably spoken more than English in most areas of the town.

Just to make a SLIGHT political comment (so don't everyone freak out)... if anyone truly questions why much stronger illegal immigration laws need to be put in place, they should be made to stay for a couple of days in Dalton and cities like it. It'll convince you of the need immediately. Bypass it and find a new town.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
Cool Dalton - A well-balanced community

I have lived all over the United States and my husband and I would not have chosen the Dalton area to live in when we got out of the Navy if it had not had a diverse community (specifically Hispanic/Latino). We live in Chatsworth, but I work in Dalton, and we shop and play in Dalton. There are wonderful community events - my husband and our sons just ran a 5 K a couple of months ago that was extremely well organized and had a very large participation. There are good shops, many of them locally owned small businesses, that are unique and interesting. There are quite a few very good restaurants - some chains and some locally owned. We have two local live Theater company's and an art guilde that sponsors a festival every fall. It's close to I75 so getting to Atlanta and Chattanooga for concerts, shopping, etc. is a breeze. Cost of living is affordable and you can find a great house on a acre of land well below the national average and the real estate market for this area has remained steady even though in most of the country the bubble has burst. Dalton has one of the lowest utility rates in the country and we have temperate southern weather with the benefit of four distinct seasons. Many people who work in the Chattanooga or Atlanta area choose here to live because our taxes are low and our schools are some of the top rated in the state. A good web site to check out for statistics is Dalton Whitfield - Home. And for links to community and school information try Greater Dalton - Call it Home.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:28 PM

9 posts, read 51,989 times
I have to agree with Northern Peach...after living in lots of other places around the US, I find Dalton to be a great place to live. I moved back here after many years and I'm loving it. I like the diversity. When I was a kid growing up here, there were no restaurants that weren't 'meat and three'...everybody looked exactly the same...sounded the same, etc. I couldn't wait to leave, and after college I got the heck out! Now I'm back and happy to be here. I understand that change can make some folks uncomfortable - I'm also a big proponent of maintaining a sense of history and place no matter what that history and place is. But change enlivens things and adds interest and keeps you growing...so I want to be part of that.

Here are some of the things I love about Dalton:

Beautiful old homes in the downtown historic areas, along Thornton Avenue and off of Walnut. There are some real stunners there.

People wave...they acknowledge you from their cars as you pass in a neighborhood...they say "how are you" or "good morning" as you pass on the street. The other day the local state patrol officer gave me a neighborly wave as we passed each other crossing a railroad track...that never happened in Los Angeles!

New little businesses are springing up downtown and elsewhere...I love the sense of energy...the idea that people are choosing to open up shop here or create something...

The other day I had a meeting with a guy from Belgium. Then I had Chinese food for lunch...and the lady who helped me at the bank drive through was Indian...and my manicurist was Vietnamese. That would NEVER have happened back in the day and I loved it! I hope we get more international restaurants, too...I just can't believe its Dalton.

So anyway - I like the place...I think there is opportunity here.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM

15 posts, read 101,308 times
I just visited Dalton and I did see a lot of proud Mexicans there. In fact, we saw a truck with a lettering on the wind shield that said, "WET BACK!" Which shows a great sense of humor.

I live in the mountains, and Dalton was too flat for me, but it did have all of the modern conveniences. We ate at a Roadhouse Grill, and it seemed like all of the cultures are blending very well. Everyone was friendly and the service was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia