Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 80,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
You speak Spanish?.. because you might need to learn it if you move to Dalton.

This should help you in your decision to move to Dalton:

Many immigrants build new lives in 'Little Mexico' - Chattanooga Times Free Press - Breaking News in Chattanooga, TN. Classifieds and Top Stories (http://www.timesfreepress.com/absolutenm/templates/local.aspx?articleid=24633&zoneid=77 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 97,298 times
I don't understand the Dalton bashing on this thread. It is a very family friendly town. My kids love the subdivision our house is in. They can ride their bikes to the park and see their other friends, go to the subdivision pool in the summertime, the parks common area is always having a birthday party or something. I have lived here 14 years and don't even know anyone that has been a victim of crime.
It is 30 miles from Chattanooga if you want to run up there for a weekend evening and about 80 miles north of Atlanta. Very convenient to both cities without the big city hassles.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:47 PM

58 posts, read 222,728 times
Default Moving to Dalton

I would say Cartersville, but it's over-run with mexicans also. Forget wal-mart, you go in there and you will get run over by them. The flea-market is out of the picture also. Last time I went, they wouldn't move out of the way, so I just plowed right on through them. Jobs are getting harder to find to. Every where you turn, it's mexicans. Since there all coming over here, maybe we should go to mexico. Can't be to many left over there. Best of luck to you and your family!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:26 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuharleeRiverRat View Post
I would say Cartersville, but it's over-run with mexicans also. Forget wal-mart, you go in there and you will get run over by them. The flea-market is out of the picture also. Last time I went, they wouldn't move out of the way, so I just plowed right on through them. Jobs are getting harder to find to. Every where you turn, it's mexicans. Since there all coming over here, maybe we should go to mexico. Can't be to many left over there. Best of luck to you and your family!!!!!!!!!
Euharlee is a nice little town. The only downside is the lack of dining, stores, as well as the eyesore known as the Georgia Power Plant. Other than that, it is one of the best-kept secrets.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:52 PM

102 posts, read 504,022 times
Default dalton - gangs, illegals???

Does this problem leak out into some of the nearby towns? Chickamauga, Lafayette...these areas seem nice but are rather close (it appears) to the Dalton area.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 80,264 times
Thumbs up Chickamauga is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsthebeach View Post
Does this problem leak out into some of the nearby towns? Chickamauga, Lafayette...these areas seem nice but are rather close (it appears) to the Dalton area.
You can't go wrong in Chickamauga. There is alot of history there with the Civil War. The park is great for riding bikes and walking. Don't know alot about Lafayette though. If I had my pick of places to live it would be in the Chickamauga area. Steer clear of Calhoun as it is comparable to what Dalton was 10 years ago and steadily rising to the pace and geographics as Dalton. Ringgold would somewhat nice also.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 11,246 times
Here is my experience with Dalton.. I have only been living here 5 months and that is long enough to know "I don't like it here" Why? well for one, I work part time at Wal-Mart on Walnut avenue and and rarely will you see white people unless they are the sales associates.. Comming here from Indianapolis seems like a big mistake since all I can find is part time work.. I agree with the person who said if you can speak spanish then you'll fit in is an understatement... I also agree that this is a HAVEN for illegals.. They have it easy here since everything is in spanish for them.. This city pretty much caters to them.. Also, they are having the most kids.. Everyday at work I see families with 3+ kids and most of them are from infants to toddlers to pre-teenager.. This city will soon be over run as it is to the brink almost.. I'm looking for work closer to Chattanooga.. Oh almost forgot.. It almost doesn't matter what time of day it is, you will always find traffic and it is horrendous!... From what a friend here said about the job market, well it used to be good a few years ago.. Guess I came at a bad time..

Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,841 times
i don't live in dalton but i have family there. i go there every other christmas and i did live there for a year or 2 back in the 90's and a couple of months 2 years ago. dalton is a great place. the cenery is amazing the weather is great and you meet a lot of diverse people. for those that think it's bad because of the mexicans i can assure you that's not what wrong with the city if anything. i live in a small town called immokalee in southwest florida and 70% of the population here is mexican and some of them are illegal. there's no problems here, there no violence, no racism or even any gangs at least not anymore. the white population makes up less than 10% of the community and even they'll tell you that there's no racism here what's so ever. i think if you take the time to go out and actually live amongst some of these people outside of dalton you'll see that not all of them are like that and that most of these people are hard working people who just want a better place to live. but to answer your question dalton is a great place to live and i'd strongly recommend you living there if you can.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM

25 posts, read 88,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermom View Post
what's the dalton area like to live in? my husband just had an interview for a job there. any communities to not consider living in? how are land prices (we have a horse)? clean? friendly? I'd love the local low-down!!! Thanks!
I hope you are receiving good information. We relocated our family to the area, because of a job in Dalton two years ago. School scores led us from Dalton to Chattanooga, which is just a half hour commute north on I-75. We live close to the TN/GA border, so my husband has an easy commute that is half country/half highway. Dalton seemed to have some charm, but it is a city at odds with itself. There is racial tension, and the schools are not keeping up with the changing population. Not much to do there, which is why many people travel to Atlanta or Chattanooga for shopping, restaurants, etc. Many families drive their kids to private schools in Chattanooga. Good luck to you.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,820 times
[quote=Truth Speaker;2049687]You can't go wrong in Chickamauga. There is alot of history there with the Civil War. The park is great for riding bikes and walking. Don't know alot about Lafayette though. If I had my pick of places to live it would be in the Chickamauga area. Steer clear of Calhoun as it is comparable to what Dalton was 10 years ago and steadily rising to the pace and geographics as Dalton. Ringgold would somewhat nice also.[/quote Truth speaker, if Dalton is such a bad place to live why don't you move, you warn everyone not to move here but yet you are still here. It just doesn't make much sense that if it is so bad in Dalton why are you still here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia