U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,529,274 times
Reputation: 3335

Advertisements

Kindey shaped vs rectangular doesn't really matter (I built pools in Las Vegas for several years)- pool costs are based on perimeter and surface area. Most companies have a "base package" that includes say, up to 70' of perimeter and 350 SF of surface area. Beyond that, they charge for additional footage.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
598 posts, read 1,497,046 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Kindey shaped vs rectangular doesn't really matter (I built pools in Las Vegas for several years)- pool costs are based on perimeter and surface area. Most companies have a "base package" that includes say, up to 70' of perimeter and 350 SF of surface area. Beyond that, they charge for additional footage.
So,it doesn't cost more for them to form straight walls to pour than it does for curved?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
 
Location: NJ
185 posts, read 531,649 times
Reputation: 54
Default Approx. $30,000 is what a friend in Acworth paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
A gunite pool will cost more than a vinyl liner...but it will last. We put an inground gunite pebble tech surface in 2004. Our pool is also a salt water pool...saves money in chemical cost. The salt system costs a little more, but it's well worth it. We put 2-3 40# bags of salt in all year, at the cost of $4.75 a bag, that's it! Anyway, depending on the size of what you are looking for, if there is any buried trash that has to removed or if they hit rock when they dig, these are all variables. By the way, the salt water is not like ocean water...it is like saline solution for contacts. It is much better for your skin, hair, etc. than chlorine. Our pool is 38' wide by 18' long, kidney shaped and 3-9 1/2 feet deep.The cost of the pool with the concrete decking was about $32,000. Do your homework..pick a reputable pool company, otherwise you could have an expensive nightmare on your hands. Good Luck!
a few years ago. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Location: FL to GA back to FL
879 posts, read 2,913,672 times
Reputation: 390
Off track a bit, but does anyone keep their pool open through the winter?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 23,529,274 times
Reputation: 3335
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
So,it doesn't cost more for them to form straight walls to pour than it does for curved?
Not really, as they don't "form" the walls- they just tie the rebar and then shoot gunite or shotcrete at the earth that form the back of the wall. For straight walls, they string piano wires to screed off to, which doesn't take much time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Monroe,Ga.
183 posts, read 695,361 times
Reputation: 82
We use our pool from April until mid October. We keep the filter running through the winter, it only runs for a couple of hours at night.We get alot of use out of it. We are in daily. I, being a tropical fish, wait till the water is about 84-86 degrees. The rest of the family dare to go in when the water is cooler. We have our pool in full sun on the west side of the house,we also picked the darker colors for the pebble tech surface ( absorbs more heat). The colors are a blue, black,brown and green.I don't think the shape matters for price. Our property and the fact we have a septic system determined the shape.We are very happy with the pool and consider it money well spent. My husband loves jumping in there after mowing the lawn! If I can help any further, feel free to pm me!I think you can still find a reasonable pool builder, do it off season when they aren't working and might be hungry!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Monroe,Ga.
183 posts, read 695,361 times
Reputation: 82
I might add, make sure there are 2 inputs for water and 2 skimmers. You have inputs on one side and skimmers on the other.Also, 2 drains on the bottom. We also run a Polaris pool cleaner for 4 hours a day, basically a vacuum.The Polaris runs on its own pump. I found a really neat item to use on the input side so that you never have to skim the surface with a net! It's called a pool devil! This thing is great! It attaches to your input line and has a "sock" attached that floats on the top of the water, a small whirlpool is created pushing anything on the surface into the sock. The best $24.00 spent. No need to get the net!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 PM
 
Location: the big apple
128 posts, read 510,198 times
Reputation: 71
You guys are better than great! Thanks for all your info and ideas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
 
3,462 posts, read 2,601,677 times
Reputation: 1351
Afternoon pool temperatures are probably around 75 degrees right now, which is frigid to most Southerners, but you may like it for short swims.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 PM
 
157 posts, read 336,409 times
Reputation: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmom View Post
A gunite pool will cost more than a vinyl liner...but it will last. We put an inground gunite pebble tech surface in 2004. Our pool is also a salt water pool...saves money in chemical cost. The salt system costs a little more, but it's well worth it. We put 2-3 40# bags of salt in all year, at the cost of $4.75 a bag, that's it! Anyway, depending on the size of what you are looking for, if there is any buried trash that has to removed or if they hit rock when they dig, these are all variables. By the way, the salt water is not like ocean water...it is like saline solution for contacts. It is much better for your skin, hair, etc. than chlorine. Our pool is 38' wide by 18' long, kidney shaped and 3-9 1/2 feet deep.The cost of the pool with the concrete decking was about $32,000. Do your homework..pick a reputable pool company, otherwise you could have an expensive nightmare on your hands. Good Luck!
good info, thanks
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top