Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
None of the "states" have filed petitions to secede- individual citizens who gathered signatures have. In total, there have been 100,000 signatures, which accounts for about 0.08% of the population of the 20 states that petitions were sent from- not exactly a vast number of people.

As said above, Georgia and most of the Southern states get back far more money from the Federal government than they pay in, so they'd lose big time if secession ever really happened, which it won't. You think we've got water/road/education issues now? Think about the issues we'd have if we actually had to pay for all of that stuff ourselves.
That's mostly for other Southern states; from the stats I saw, Georgia gets back a penny from the feds for every dollar it sends to Washington, so it's pretty much a wash here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,964 times
Just my opinion, but here goes: secession won't go anywhere anytime soon, just a lot of people who sign the petition are those who want to vent.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

130 posts, read 243,546 times
I remember hearing about this a while back I figured it was just a bunch of Romney supporters upset at Barack's re-election, turns out a lot of people are serious about this which is what trips me out. I highly doubt any state will secede I will be surprised if that does happen but hopefully common sense still exists and people in general won't go that far with their discontent then again it is 2012 who knows. Say this does happen though highly doubt it but it does, does anyone here really think the United States government will let that happen? Absolutely not, if that was to happen there's a 99.9 percent chance a second civil war would break out. I see it like this it didn't work the first time and back then our country was even more unstable than it is now so why in Gods name would anybody think the outcome would be any different this time around? I agree things do need to change but not in that way sure things aren't exactly perfect but all you gotta do is look at some of these other countries to see how blessed we truly are to live in a country like this now I might not agree with the government majority of the time but if you read between the lines It could without a doubt be a hell of alot worse than it is now, I mean come on people from other countries came here and still come here for a reason this is the country people worldwide come to pursue the American dream even in this goofy day and age that still means somethin', just my two cents I hardly post on here but I figured why not this thread caught my eye.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
We're talking about government, not country. The Second Amendment was created to provide the citizenry a recourse against tyranny.
Seceding from the Union sounds like a desire to leave the country to me, LD, specifically to form their own. Am I missing something?

Old 11-15-2012, 01:14 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Seceding from the Union sounds like a desire to leave the country to me, LD, specifically to form their own. Am I missing something?
I don't think you're missing anything, rc. And I think its more about taking back our country rather than leaving it. If not everyone wants to follow, then so be it.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
I don't think you're missing anything, rc. And I think its more about taking back our country rather than leaving it. If not everyone wants to follow, then so be it.
Taking back our country??? Who has it???

Old 11-15-2012, 02:28 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
Looks like Atlanta is looking to secede from Georgia if secession is successful.

Secession mania reaches the City of Atlanta | Jay Bookman

Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Hmmm.

If you're one of the fine citizens who want to leave because of the newly elected President, please allow me to politely help you on your way and lock the door behind you.

Nothing personal. I'm just not a fan of fair weather patriotism, and I think that many of the folks who are signing these petitions are either blowing off steam or simply don't understand what it is that they're actually voting for. If they actually do mean it, may their every wish come true...

Even a representative democracy sometimes does things that a large percentage of the population doesn't like. That's how the process works.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 37,204 times
Only Georgia and Texas can possibly survive, but the rest of the country will look like scenario from Mad Max.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times
think about what some of u stupid people are saying your goverment lovers ,the goverment isn't working for you any more sure you may have some say on who is in there but watch where most of your hard earned tax dollers go with out your say soon overseas to fight someone elses war,when we acually broke here,more school budgets cut,higher taxes,more jobs because companies can't afford to compete with other countries that have cheap labor , and for the ones that say our country did you know that china and japan and some other countries really own us,so in short u probly are rite they can't really sucede with out asking these other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia